New Bicep/Tricep Workout - AnabolicMinds.com

New Bicep/Tricep Workout

  1. New Member
    hitstick42esu's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    82

    Reputation

    New Bicep/Tricep Workout


    Alright, so i got sick of my previous arm workout and decided to innovate a little bit. Im trying to get a nasty ball and a tri that looks like I got kicked by a clydesdale on steroids.

    My previous Bi workout:

    5 sets of 8-10 Barbell Curl
    4 sets of 8-10 Ez Curl
    3 sets of incline DB/ DB Hammers

    Tri Workout:

    5 sets of weighted dips
    4 sets of DB overhead ext
    3 sets of Straight Bar PDown
    2 sets of Kneeled Rope PDowns

    I have went back to the drawing board and came up with a new one, here it is:

    Of course a set or 2 for warmups
    Bi's:
    (Heavy a** loads)
    10x3
    Straight Bar Curl 5 x 3
    EZ Curl Bar 3x3
    Seated Incline DB 2x3

    Tris:
    Again heavy a** loads and a quick light warm up set or 2
    12x3
    Weighted Dips 5x3
    Overhead Ext 4x3
    Kneeled rope Pdowns/Straight Bar Pdowns 3x3

    *Just to mention, I do a little bit more sets for my tris since I am a firm believer that since the tri is a bit bigger than the bi, it is capable of taking a little bit of more work.

    What do you all think, I feel like this might be a solid arm workout. Of course I am open for all suggestions.

    Thanks,
    Vlad

  2. Senior Member
    lonewolf0420's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  223 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,314
    Rep Power
    1679

    Reputation

    I think you might end up over-working your arms. Your bi's take a beating on back day, and your tri's on chest day.
  3. Advanced Member
    Steelwolf's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Age
    27
    Posts
    887
    Rep Power
    1014

    Reputation

    I personally feel you will over train.
    ACSM-CPT
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    hitstick42esu's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    82

    Reputation

    Thats what i was worried about, just thought that load bearing would benefit muscle mass better than the standard issue 8 to 12.. Maybe cut the sets down a little bit?

    Thanks guys
  5. New Member
    TorqueGTR04's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    99
    Rep Power
    107

    Reputation

    Here's an arm workout that was awesome for me, especially if you want to do some heavy-ish loads. Rep range is like 6-8 reps

    Biceps
    Straight Bar Curl 4x6
    DB Hammer Curl 3x8
    DB Incline Curl 3x8

    Cable 21's - 7 sets, 30 seconds rest in between

    Triceps
    Weighted Dips 4x6
    Decline Bench Skull Crushers 3x8
    Overhead Rope/DB Extension 3x8

    Reverse Grip Tri Extension (Straight Bar, Cable) - 7x15, 30 secs rest


    The last two exercises of the Bicep and Tricep workouts are called Sevens. Seven sets of a given number of reps with 30 seconds rest in between. It's known as FST-7 training - works great to finish off each muscle group and give a huge pump.


    In my experience really low rep arm training doesn't do too much - all depends on the person though. I like to stay between 6 and 15 reps with some higher reps occasionally.
  6. New Member
    hitstick42esu's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    82

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by TorqueGTR04 View Post
    Here's an arm workout that was awesome for me, especially if you want to do some heavy-ish loads. Rep range is like 6-8 reps

    Biceps
    Straight Bar Curl 4x6
    DB Hammer Curl 3x8
    DB Incline Curl 3x8

    Cable 21's - 7 sets, 30 seconds rest in between

    Triceps
    Weighted Dips 4x6
    Decline Bench Skull Crushers 3x8
    Overhead Rope/DB Extension 3x8

    Reverse Grip Tri Extension (Straight Bar, Cable) - 7x15, 30 secs rest


    The last two exercises of the Bicep and Tricep workouts are called Sevens. Seven sets of a given number of reps with 30 seconds rest in between. It's known as FST-7 training - works great to finish off each muscle group and give a huge pump.


    In my experience really low rep arm training doesn't do too much - all depends on the person though. I like to stay between 6 and 15 reps with some higher reps occasionally.
    That sounds awesome actually, definitly something im gonna give a go. The only thing that worries me is the exhaustion sets. 7 sets of 21's and 7 sets of tri exts x 15 scares me haha. Wouldnt that definitly lead to overtraining and kind of defeat the heavy load purpose? These are just questions I have so im not taking away from your idea at all. Other than the exhaustion sets, I really like the workout.

    Thanks guy
  7. Professional Member
    Torobestia's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,199
    Rep Power
    141050

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    I found great success in just having 3 movements for each on arms day (back when I had a 5 or 6 day split, that is). I would do them for 3 or 4 sets, depending on my goal for the day, and key to success, FOR ME, was supersetting all bicep with tricep movements. It was pretty sick - halfway through and my arms were exploding.
  8. Professional Member
    SweetLou321's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,567
    Rep Power
    115432

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    I dont think your need 58923298729 sets for arms. Biceps are a small muscle and i think3-6 sets is fine, tris is 5-8 for me. I like to think sometimes its not what you do in the gym that leads to success, but what you dont do. I hope you put this much volume and thought into your leg sessions...
  9. New Member
    hitstick42esu's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    82

    Reputation

    Toro, I see what your gettin at. I too like to bust out some supersets every now and then for the pump effect. I think im going to try out that FST-7 arm workout tmrw and see how it goes. As for sweetlou, thats a good way to look at training. I think everyones muscles respond differently therefore Im going to take all the advice that you guys have given me and do trial and error. At worst, im still shocking my muscles no matter what new workout I choose so there will be benefits..And lou, hell yah I beat up my legs. I couldnt wake up in the morning knowing that I didnt have a lower body max effort day waiting for me
  10. Professional Member
    SweetLou321's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,567
    Rep Power
    115432

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Good, bc to many guys ask about chest and arms and stuff, yet there leg days are just some squats and calf raises. Best of luck.
  11. New Member
    fredh da star's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    51

    Reputation

    You guys do know one of the premise for FST-7 to work is using SEO's to stretch the fascia? It's a training program built around using drugs to gain the wanted effect, if you do not have synthol at hand it wont work as planned
  12. New Member
    hitstick42esu's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    82

    Reputation

    Lou, I know exactly what ya mean.. And thanks bud. As for Fredh, I believe that FST-7 was created due to many boudybuilders shying away from synthol due to negative effects as they matabolize. Supposedly FST is great for fascia stretching, especially if flexes and poses are utilized in between sets.. But FST is also supposedly very beneficial due to the extreme amounts of nutrient enriched blood flooding the particular muscle which we all know leads to muscle growth.. Just my thoughts man, what do ya think?
  13. Advanced Member
    Steelwolf's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Age
    27
    Posts
    887
    Rep Power
    1014

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by hitstick42esu View Post
    Lou, I know exactly what ya mean.. And thanks bud. As for Fredh, I believe that FST-7 was created due to many boudybuilders shying away from synthol due to negative effects as they matabolize. Supposedly FST is great for fascia stretching, especially if flexes and poses are utilized in between sets.. But FST is also supposedly very beneficial due to the extreme amounts of nutrient enriched blood flooding the particular muscle which we all know leads to muscle growth.. Just my thoughts man, what do ya think?
    I agree more so on the nutrient benefit than anything
    ACSM-CPT
  14. Professional Member
    SweetLou321's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,567
    Rep Power
    115432

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Steelwolf View Post
    I agree more so on the nutrient benefit than anything
    Same
  15. New Member
    hitstick42esu's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    82

    Reputation

    Did the FST-7 Arm Workout today since I didnt get arms in this week (damn training). Let me tell ya, I was a skeptic at first but damn. My arms are still pumped beyond belief. For those of you that never tried it, definitly check it out.

    Vlad
  16. New Member
    TorqueGTR04's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    99
    Rep Power
    107

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by hitstick42esu View Post
    That sounds awesome actually, definitly something im gonna give a go. The only thing that worries me is the exhaustion sets. 7 sets of 21's and 7 sets of tri exts x 15 scares me haha. Wouldnt that definitly lead to overtraining and kind of defeat the heavy load purpose? These are just questions I have so im not taking away from your idea at all. Other than the exhaustion sets, I really like the workout.

    Thanks guy
    Totally forgot to mention this. On my straight sets I always went heavy load, max effort on the last 2 sets or so of each exercise - very close to failure.

    On the Sevens sets, the weight remains light. They are pumping sets. Pick one weight and go from there. The first 3 or 4 sets should seem easy, but it gets difficult on the last few sets - for the last two or three it should be getting you near failure. However, don't start from a heavy failure weight or you will be toasted FAST.

    I never had any issues overtraining with this routine. Keep the protein intake up and rest adequately and you'll be fine.
  17. New Member
    hitstick42esu's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    82

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by TorqueGTR04 View Post
    Totally forgot to mention this. On my straight sets I always went heavy load, max effort on the last 2 sets or so of each exercise - very close to failure.

    On the Sevens sets, the weight remains light. They are pumping sets. Pick one weight and go from there. The first 3 or 4 sets should seem easy, but it gets difficult on the last few sets - for the last two or three it should be getting you near failure. However, don't start from a heavy failure weight or you will be toasted FAST.

    I never had any issues overtraining with this routine. Keep the protein intake up and rest adequately and you'll be fine.
    This is actually exactly what I did yesterday and damn was it a good workout.. the pumps are gross
  18. Senior Member
    Deeerdre's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,400
    Rep Power
    22090

    Reputation

    One tricep excercise that has been really blasting me is incline ez bar skull crushers. Im hooked on them, everytime i hit tris they are sore for a while i love it. You might try adding something like this in every once in a while!
  19. New Member
    hitstick42esu's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    82

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Deeerdre View Post
    One tricep excercise that has been really blasting me is incline ez bar skull crushers. Im hooked on them, everytime i hit tris they are sore for a while i love it. You might try adding something like this in every once in a while!
    Hey, why the hell not, right haha. I'll give em a go next time around. Thanks for the idea.

    Vlad
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. bicep/tricep supersets
    By browns1234 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-07-2009, 06:22 AM
  2. I need An Advanced Tricep Workout
    By potobori in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-01-2009, 08:04 PM
  3. Need a better tricep workout
    By Flay in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-03-2008, 08:50 AM
  4. how do you train the muscle inbetween the tricep and bicep?
    By stankydanky in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 02-17-2008, 04:26 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-14-2006, 05:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in