I need more flexibility and less size.

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.4%

I need more flexibility and less size.

As I am getting older, 32 now, I realize my body is in need of more flexibility and less muscle size(bulk). I play softball once a week and I just feel that I am loosing speed and flexibility more and more each year. What would be a great stretching program to do and when. I think it's time to stop trying to lift for size and work on flexibility.

2. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.87%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityActivity AuthorityActivity ProActivity Veteran

From what I've heard (I've still yet to try it, but plan on incorporating it, soon), DC stretching is great. Toss that in with some basic yoga (again, something I've yet to try) and you should be working on that flexibility.

Aside from that, I'd work with just a more body-building (4x12ish) style of training. You could always incorporate more full-body days and more bodyweight exercises, too.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.18%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Couple of things..

First, lets separate flexibility and mobility. What you want is mobility - the ability to move better, for your joints to go through a larger dynamic rom, and for your muscles to be balances and function well together.

Flexibility, on the other hand, is just one of the types of training that will help you increase your mobility.

First thing to do is to analyze for over active and under-active muscles, and ROM deficits. Once we've done that, we can next prescribe exercises to strengthen/activate the weak and lengthen the over active.

In addition, you can start adding in mobility drills and exercises that are more athletic specific. For simple starter mobility, I suggest checking out DeFranco's dynamic warm ups.

Br
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.03%

One of my favorite DVDs is magnificent mobility. A lot of good exercises in there.
    ACSM-CPT

Similar Forum Threads

1. Flexibility and Powerlifting
    By powerseeker in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-13-2010, 01:50 PM
  2. Yoga/Flexibility DVD
    By Rugger in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-17-2009, 11:49 PM
  3. flexibility has gone to hell
    By elementrip in forum Training Forum