Power/Hypertrophy Split

getbig89

Awards
For my next bulk I'll be running halotest-25 at 50/50/75/75/75/100. I've been considering following Layne Norton's power/hypertrophy split. Wondering if this is a good option or if I should follow something else?

Main goals would be bigger biceps, wider/thicker back, wider/thicker chest. Thanks for the help

getbig89

Awards
anyone? if I dont do this I was considering doing a doggcrap routine instead.

fredh da star

fredh da star

Awards
Yeah it's a good routine... Followed it for 1,5 months and gained 30lbs on my bench... But with full rests (i took 4 min between sets on "power" days) sessions range from around 1,5h to 2h , 5 times a week... A bit too much time for me to devote, since i'm busy with school and what not. But if you have the time and the dedication it's a great routine

getbig89

Awards
agreed. power sessions would take forever for me as well. I had run it for a short while a few months back. Extremely hard to get adequate sleep with schooling too...Were you running anything while following this?

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ive done laynes routine before, i did it for 5 monthes and in pct and in dieting. It works but you need to know a few things...
1) it should not take you 2 hrs for a power workout, it is..your doing to much
2) you dont NOT go to failure on the hyper days, 1-2 reps short of failure on everything to not burn out the cns system.
3) you gotta eat more then normal
4) Dont go overly crazy on volume on hyper days
5) You have to cycle percentages and intensity and volume on the power days to, again, not burn out the cns system.
Ill give an example:
*For power days id start with 75-85% of your 1RM and do 3-4 sets of 5 here, then the next week move up weight and do 2-3 sets of 5, again move up and do the 1-2 sets of 5, then the last week for a PR and do 1 top set of 5, should be aiming for progress and PRs everyweek after week 1, then deload to 50% of 1RM for 4-5 sets of 5 and then go back to week one with your new 5 rep max and repeat.
Upper Power:
Flat Bench-*
Barbell Rows-*
Overhead Press-3-4 sets 6-8
Dips+Bicep Chins-3-4 sets 6-8

Lower Power:
Squat-*
RDL-*
Standing Calf Raises-4-5 sets 6-8
Ab Work

Chest/Back Hyper:
Chins-2-3 sets 8-12
Cable Rows-2-3 sets 8-12
Pull-overs-2-3 sets 8-12
Incline DB Press-2-3 sets 8-12
Chest Dips-2-3 sets 8-12
Pec Deck-2-3 sets 8-12
(you can superset chest and back, or do chest first)

Legs/abs Hyper:
Leg Press superset with Hack Squat-2-3 sets 10-20
Walking Lunges-2-3 sets 8-12
Leg Ext+Lying Leg Curls-2-3 sets 10-15
Stiff Legged DB Deadlift-2-3 sets 8-12
Seated Calf Raises-4-5 sets 15-20
Ab Work

Delts/Arms Hyper:
WG Upright Rows-2-3 sets 8-12
Side Laterals-2-3 sets 10-15
Rear Laterals-2-3 sets 10-15
Pushdowns+DB Curls-2-3 sets 8-12
Oh Ext+Hammer Curls-2-3 sets 8-12

This is an example of something i use to do, best of luck and remember do not go to failure on hyper days.

getbig89

Awards
so you think that the example routine layne has laid out is too much?

fredh da star

fredh da star

Awards
agreed. power sessions would take forever for me as well. I had run it for a short while a few months back. Extremely hard to get adequate sleep with schooling too...Were you running anything while following this?
Nah i'm 17 man don't need that ****

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That is an example routine? it has all the details you need? Just go to laynes forum where the althletes he trains log their sessions and you will see how they do it. They cycle percentages and dont train the hyper days to failure....

fredh da star

fredh da star

Awards
Search for the Layne Norton Mega Feature over at Simply Shredded; he lays out all the details over there