The Gun Show

The Neck

The Neck

Awards
  • Established
I’ve had another request for a special workout to help with everybody’s favourite muscles – the arms. Whether you admit it or not, everybody sees the appeal of a strong looking pair of guns! I should probably point out that this workout won’t make something from nothing, and a full program of all-body compound movements is the best way to put on overall mass on EVERY bodypart. That said, if you have the mass and just want to give your guns a bit of extra stimulation – this is just the ticket!

All you’ll need for this arms workout is a barbell, and two dumbells of different weights. If you push it as hard as you can, you may also need a bucket.

The biggest problem when i see people training their arms is extra momentum – they swing the barbell up and down as if they’re doing cleans, not curls! This is stupid and you’re hardly working your arms at all. This workout uses exaggerated rep tempo to take this cheating out of the equation.

We have one circuit repeated four times (or until you can’t stand any more):

1. Standing Barbell Curls x 12

2. Overhead Tricep Extension x 12

3. DB Lateral Raise (Left Arm) x 10

4. DB Lateral Raise (Right Arm) x 10.

Load up the barbell with a weight you can curl for 15 reps, the first dumbell with a weight you can lateral raise for 12 reps, and the other dumbell with a weight you can perform 15 overhead tricep extensions with. Yes i know these are very light weights, but like i said – we’re using tempo!

For the first circuit – No Tempo. Do the reps in a controlled style, but don’t worry about tempo. Easy peasy.
For the second circuit – 3x3x Tempo. That’s 3 seconds up, 3 seconds down. Little bit tougher, eh?
For the third circuit – 4x4x. 4 seconds up, 4 seconds down. Yes, i know it hurts, you wimp.
For the final circuit (yeah you guessed it) - 5x5x. Add a second to the up and down phases. Each rep takes 10 seconds. You are defeated.

Take 60-90 seconds between each circuit. If you can get through this workout without reducing the weight, you are an absolute arms monster and deserve a protein shake. Work hard on this workout and really keep the tempo strict. If you fail before the target number of reps, do the workout again after a day or two rest and try harder this time. Keep doing this until you complete the workout as written, without reducing the weight, and i promise you some great gains on your pythons!

Get to it!

getlifting.info » WotD (09/05/2010)