finally lifting heavy (for me) and yes, you can laugh

1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.

finally lifting heavy (for me) and yes, you can laugh

So I totally expect to be flamed, and its ok.

This is my 3rd week working out with free-weights (prior was Bowflex). Bowflex took me from 232lbs to 180... I am down to 174. I was diagnosed with metabolic syndrome is what started me working out.... metabolic syndrome is 1 step away from diabetes, BUT you can reverse metabolic syndrome so I wasnt gonna let it win. Funny thing about metabolic syndrome is you carry most of your body fat around your midsection, so now that I am down to 174 I have a funny body composition because I am lean all over cept my midsection, still a little jelly (which will be gone soon). If you didnt see my midsection you would guess I was like 10-13% bf but if you see my midsection its more like 15-16% bf. Anyway...

Week 1 with my new power-rack was my first time Squatting, ever. I opted to concentrate on form and only did 135lbs (flame suit on).

Week 2, I did 145lbs and felt my form was pretty solid. btw - 4 sets of 5 reps.

Week 3 (today) I decided to see what I could do so below is my repsXweight

5x135
    5x145
    5x155
    5x165
    2x185

Yes I know 185lbs IS embarrising. I am just happy I pushed myself.

Free weights is where its at... I love squats.. i almost puked after the second 185 rep...

thanks for all the info from those that answered my questions. My goal is to GET BIG now and stay healthy.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Lifting heavy is only relative, and lifting with form is much better than lifting with ego.

Hell if you want to see some true strength, go to youtube watch someone perform an exercise and then read the comments...You'd be shocked at what 15 year olds are pushing these days...
    P-Mag + P-Stanz Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/174851-p-mag-p.html
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  163 lbs.

Don't feel bad about the weight man. When I started leg presses, I started at ~200lbs. I'm now doing over 600lbs, and I gained the strength over about a month. It comes FAST! You'll see! Also, don't be concerned with the weights others are doing. It really doesn't matter as far as you are concerned. I fall into this trap all the time, and it really starts to hit your self-esteem. Remember that many people have been lifting much longer than you, and working VERY hard to get to where they are. It's all a matter of time and relativity, because with the amount of time you've been lifting (3 wks), you've increased 50lbs, got the form down (which you should NEVER stop concentrating on improving), and are now even increasing your sets! You're just getting comfortable, and just getting started! You'll see, by the end of this month, you'll be FAR away from where you are today! Anywho, good luck to ya!
    •   

4. The Female Terminator
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'1"  122 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by KashMoni View Post
    Lifting heavy is only relative, and lifting with form is much better than lifting with ego.
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  197 lbs.

Like all the others said, concentrate on the form and completing a FULL range of movement, not the weight. The weight is only a tool that you can use to fine tune your effort as your strength increases. It always makes me laugh when I see people far smaller than me trying to put up way more weight than I could handle and using terrible form.

By the way, your squat weight isn't sad, what is truly sad is the fact that I can still bench 20 more lbs than I can squat... Recovering from knee injuries and trying to build up leg strength is quite the annoying process...
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by owlicks View Post
    Like all the others said, concentrate on the form and completing a FULL range of movement, not the weight. The weight is only a tool that you can use to fine tune your effort as your strength increases. It always makes me laugh when I see people far smaller than me trying to put up way more weight than I could handle and using terrible form.

By the way, your squat weight isn't sad, what is truly sad is the fact that I can still bench 20 more lbs than I can squat... Recovering from knee injuries and trying to build up leg strength is quite the annoying process...
    I know how you feel man.. recovered from a lower ab wall strain.. and my squat and deadlifts are super low weight, but I feel like they are heavy..
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.

thanks all,I do appreciate it... motivation is thru the roof... and I cant wait for next week.

I feel I have good form (watched tons of videos) and I go all the way down so I guess I am doing what I read as AssToGrass squats. I MAY be leaning forward too much I was thinking today but will concentrate on that next week.

Looking forward to the noob gains.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by StangBanger View Post
    thanks all,I do appreciate it... motivation is thru the roof... and I cant wait for next week.

I feel I have good form (watched tons of videos) and I go all the way down so I guess I am doing what I read as AssToGrass squats. I MAY be leaning forward too much I was thinking today but will concentrate on that next week.

Looking forward to the noob gains.
    if you are going to use L337 speak.. at least be correct :P .. you are willing to learn and you are just starting.. therefore newb.. the opposite of which is a noob/n00b.. sorry my nerdy side came through there.. lol..
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  189 lbs.

I don't really enjoy squats, but when you're adding 5-10lbs to the bar every week it's kind of hard not to look forward to it.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jtterrible View Post
    if you are going to use L337 speak.. at least be correct :P .. you are willing to learn and you are just starting.. therefore newb.. the opposite of which is a noob/n00b.. sorry my nerdy side came through there.. lol..
    too funny... i hear ya. Im an old school BBS'er before the net so I know all bout the l337 speak.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  197 lbs.

go to elitefts.com and watch the so you think you can squat series
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.

As long as you progress you have every right to be proud. And you should be! Great job bud. Only compair your self to yourself. There will always be some one bigger and stronger but it's about being the best version of YOU. Thats What matters
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.

dont downgrade yourself. if you don't beleive your something, how do you expect others too?
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.

cant wait till tomorrow to squat again! I think Im the only person who cant wait for monday's!
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  163 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by StangBanger View Post
    cant wait till tomorrow to squat again! I think Im the only person who cant wait for monday's!
    I'm excited for ya! Keep us informed!
    --Brian
    P.S.
    I also love Mondays!
  16. Registered User

Congrats man. I'm in the same area as you as far as the weights. I've just now started to lift seriously and 185 is around my max. I'm going to try to improve alot over the rest of this year.
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.

Ok good intense Leg day... a little disappointed but Im just hard on myself.

Squats:

5x135
    5x155
    5x175
    2x195 feelsbad...went down to the catchs on 3 ARGH!

rest of the day was good - crazy lunges and went nutty on calf raises by doing 4x20 when I usually do 4x15 (holding a 45 plate in each hand). Gonna feel that tomorrow.

anyone wanna suggest how I should structure my Squat weight? I like doing some warmup (hence the 135)... but maybe I should start higher with smaller incline in the weights like 5x155, 5x165, 5x175, 5x185 and then go for more...

with the bigger compound's Im shooting for 4 or 5 sets of 5 reps... ancillary stuff I do 8-10 reps (curls, etc..) just so you know my goals.
    '
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. ::: bLacKjAcK's Lifting Heavy Log :::
    By bLacKjAck. in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-26-2011, 03:36 AM
  2. Lifting heavy while dieting...
    By Zero Tolerance in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-27-2008, 04:29 PM
  3. Heavy Lifting for fat loss