strength exercises for runners

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
What kind of exercises would help type 1 muscle fibers to increase stride length, boost overall performance and increase GH levels for optimum health for a runner doing the 10km track and road race?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Excellent question.

Resistance training in the endurance athlete can achieve two major functions: improve running economy and decrease risk of injury.

So, how to improve running economy: First, improving core strength. Second, improving hip and limb strength. Third, improving SSC - increasing the elasticity of the musculotendinous junction. Finally, improve rib cage and shoulder girdle musculature.

Injury prevention. First, an assessment of over/under active muscles. Generally, distance runners lack strength in the vastus medialis (tear drop quad), hamstrings, and hip abductors/external rotators. Those three, coupled with over active lateral limb muscles and hip adductors often result in runners knee and patella tendinopathy. So strengthening these muscles will also help improve economy.

Br

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards

Firstly, core work:
a)focus on?
b) time?
c) sets, reps etc?

a solid frame and base will allow me to achieve my results better and teach me about myself too

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
No problem, I enjoy working with runners.

Your core can be split up into two groups: global and local.

Local core refers to the deep postural muscles that stabilize the spine - muscles you cannot consciously contract (multifidus, etc.)

Global core refers to the muscles that flex and extend the spine, muscles you can consciously contract (obliques, abdominals, superficial spinal erectors).

Balance between these two muscle groups, as well as spinal flexors/extensors and pelvic tilters is essential to running economy.

So, a mixture of static work (bridges, planks, etc.) and dynamic work (twists, pulls, crunches, back extensions, etc.) is essential to developing a strong core.

If you PM me your email, I'll fish out some articles about training for distance runners and send them to you.

Br