Is 2 hours to long at the gym?

Pika

Awards
Hi guys iv sortted my food diet thanks alot realy great site :)

I just want to get few things clear i do
15 mins of abb work before every workout as i want a 6 pack :) i also do 10 min cardio after every workout so thats 25 mins there then i spend around hour and 30 min at the gym is that to long? Thanks guys

FubarFit

Awards
Im leaning towards yes unless you are on cycle and are a monster like arnold who would spend 2 hours on his arms 45 on biceps 45 on triceps and 30 on forearms. You wont bulk up if you work out that long I think an hour and a half is max.

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
I would say it all depends on how long your resting between sets and exercises.

hadijd

hadijd

Awards
There is nothing wrong with 2 hours in the gym... all depends on your diet! So for example I would eat like 1200 first thing in the am, then wait for 1.5 to 2 hours to lift. Then I would lift for about 1.5 to 2 hours. Then rush home for Cyto-gainer.... Great for leg days.

schultepk

Awards
Ever run a Sheiko program? You'll be lucky to finish any workout in under 2 hours.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I cut my sessions from 1.5 hours for each muscle group to 45 min and I have gotten stronger and bigger than I have in months. It really depends on your intensity too. I kick-strarted a year-long bulk with 5 weeks of Epistane and after pct continued to do 16-18 sets for back, legs, and chest, 10-12 for arms, calves, and shoulders... Waaaayyyyy too much. I was sore,lethargic and appetite sucked for 6 months. I am seeing far better results with 5-6 sets for small groups and 8-10 for large. This is not including any light warm-up sets, and each set that I count is a set where I CANNOT perform another rep (usually in the 6-12 range depending on the bodypart) This is really all related to one is looking to bulk up and increase in size and strength. It seems like you are also trying to get cut to reveal abs also. Everyone will not agree on this... Although abs should be trained year round, I usually just focus on building mass and eating, and once I've bulked sufficiently, I'll focus on showing those abs off with what really matters: several months of dieting and ALOT of cardio(if I want to bulk up this century, it will likely be accompanied with a little bodyfat. Hope this helps, but check these forums on overtraining, most can build an incredible physique on 1 hour a day, 4 days a week.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hi guys iv sortted my food diet thanks alot realy great site :)

I just want to get few things clear i do
15 mins of abb work before every workout as i want a 6 pack :) i also do 10 min cardio after every workout so thats 25 mins there then i spend around hour and 30 min at the gym is that to long? Thanks guys
Two hours is not too long in the gym if it is NOT ALL spent doing resistance training.

Be aware that you do NOT need to do "abs" EVERY session - your abs are like any other body-part, with 2-3 times a week of ~100 reps per time enough work for them. Doing excessive abwork is NOT going to give you a 6-pack - THAT is going to come from a) getting lean, and b) having the muscle there to see once you ARE lean.

Doing cardio after your resistance training is fine. Perhaps do 10 minutes of cardio BEFORE your weights as well instead of abs - that way you've got all your 20 minutes of cardio done for the day.

90 minutes is a little long to spend resistance training for the most part, and I recommend cutting it back to ~45 minutes.

Make sure that if you want fat loss, your NUTRITION is targeted at fat loss, since this is the primary determining factor in whether or not you succeed!

If you want fat loss, I recommend that you review The 3 Keys to Fat Loss - it contains comprehensive advice and information on nutrition, supplementation (only the basic staples required), and training for effective and successful fat loss, including a sample training programme for a beginner (and experienced) trainee.

~Rosie~

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How often do you work out? 2 hours is probably fine. Hell, how long do athletes train for? 2x 3 hour sessions, sometimes?

Now, back when I and some friends did a modified Westside Template, we would have leg workouts lasting 2.5 hours consistently. What we would actually do is get through the squat and deadlift portions, and we would do ab work and whatever accessory work we could finish by the 1.5 hour mark. After that, we would actually break to eat, and then we would finish off the last hour of our session doing calf work, or leg extensions or GHR, stretches, etc.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How often do you work out? 2 hours is probably fine. Hell, how long do athletes train for? 2x 3 hour sessions, sometimes.
Athletes may train for that long, yes, but they ARE athletes, training for athletic performance, not aesthetics, or to simply lose fat, gain a little mass, etc. The average or general individual has no need to train for that long to get the results they want, and doing so is just unnecessary.

~Rosie~

JComp

Awards
whats your workouts look like? I would say probably to long because youre resting to long. If you keep your intensity up and keep 30-45 seconds rest between sets you shouldnt be in the gym that long.

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
It depends in all honesty. My gym workout is only 30-60 minutes tops and my other training can range 1-2.5 hours. So no its not to long for me, but it depends what you are doing. If your busting weights for 2 hours straight I would feel so in my opinion. If you are doing other things flexibility, mobility, athletic stuff than no. it is stated you do cardio for some of the time so that takes a chunk out of it. From the way you described it I think you are doing to do much with the ab workout and the long workouts but that is me.

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
i only go about 45min but mostly nonstop withthe execption of 1min between sets. and usualy do 1-2 bodyparts every week and dotn train same part more then 2 times a week.
I dont think you need abs everyday BTW.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No, it is not. A proper warm-up and pre-hab will take easily 30 minutes and another 10 minutes or so stretching after training.

Pika

Awards
Thanks for the reply guys, i workout 4 days aweek i don't work weights for 2 hours but i am therre somtimes for 2 hours do to the abb work and cardio .

Im 182bls and 5,6 so not that tall im eating around 3000 cals aday trying to lean out abit no only small amout of carbs after workout i take my shake after cardio .

Im going to push my workout faster tho so i say i normaly wait a min between every set and 3 to 4 mins after ever littles seshion so il deffo hit it harder i want it so bad so it is what im going to get :)

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the reply guys, i workout 4 days aweek i don't work weights for 2 hours but i am therre somtimes for 2 hours do to the abb work and cardio .

Im 182bls and 5,6 so not that tall im eating around 3000 cals aday trying to lean out abit no only small amout of carbs after workout i take my shake after cardio .

Im going to push my workout faster tho so i say i normaly wait a min between every set and 3 to 4 mins after ever littles seshion so il deffo hit it harder i want it so bad so it is what im going to get :)
Resting is the interesting part I can rest only 1-2 minutes between sets and be just as strong as if I rested more and have actually been fine at 30 seconds just not for my super sessions. I think the body learns to operate on less rest if you teach it to. If I didn't take so much time to strip and reload my dumbbells I would probably take even less rest time. Rest is something that everyone has their own opinions on though

Pika

Awards
Thanks bro, yh j think il change around abit try doing it faster and harder

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i spend about an hour on weights then my cardio and abs is extra but i dont do much cardio. just enough to keep my sotmach fat off. maybe 10 min of sprints and then maybe 10 min of abs

Pika

Awards
Yh bro same im doing abbs before workout and cardio after :) 10 mins each