Hand muscle soreness

1. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'5"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.32%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Hand muscle soreness

Starting Monday morning I noticed some pretty severe muscle soreness between my thumb and index finger. I've been stretching/massaging my hands but it doesn't seem to be working. I'm not sure what caused this, and was kind of ruling out DOMS since I'm sure I don't overtrain, and also since I hadn't workout out since thursday, and it didn't become sore til monday.

If anyone has had this happen to them, let me know.
    Genomyx Rep
    www.genomyx.com

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.19%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

There are four muscles located in the hand between then thumb and index finger:

Abductor pollicis brevis
    Flexor pollicis brevis
    Opponens pollicis brevis
    Adductor pollicis

The majority of muscles that control grip begin in the forearm and travel down, so it could be a tendinous issue. Its tough to say without further explanation. I'd suggest if it continues to see an AT or PT.

Br
  3. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'5"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.32%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    There are four muscles located in the hand between then thumb and index finger:

Abductor pollicis brevis
    Flexor pollicis brevis
    Opponens pollicis brevis
    Adductor pollicis

The majority of muscles that control grip begin in the forearm and travel down, so it could be a tendinous issue. Its tough to say without further explanation. I'd suggest if it continues to see an AT or PT.

Br
    Thank you for the info
    Genomyx Rep
    www.genomyx.com
    •   

4. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.47%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Just to throw it out there, vague possibility of thumb arthritis as well
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  5. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'5"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.32%

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    Just to throw it out there, vague possibility of thumb arthritis as well
    That's one thing I was wondering. I have a tendency to crack my thumbs at the second joint just about every chance I get.

Yesterday I decided to give up the stretching/massage regimen I've been doing and I'm not as sore, but when I pull on my thumbs to test it I can still feel the soreness. I wonder if the area was maybe inflamed and I was irritating it with the stretching.
    Genomyx Rep
    www.genomyx.com
  6. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.47%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

actually thumb arthritis is generally the joint at the base of the thumb, which is why it feels like pain between the thumb + forefinger.

mine cropped up unexpectedly and I thought it was tendons or something like that at first, but orthopedist said arthritis. so its all versagrips for me now (sort of like a combo of gloves and a soft hook)
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  7. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'5"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.32%

actually thumb arthritis is generally the joint at the base of the thumb, which is why it feels like pain between the thumb + forefinger.

mine cropped up unexpectedly and I thought it was tendons or something like that at first, but orthopedist said arthritis. so its all versagrips for me now (sort of like a combo of gloves and a soft hook)
    Makes sense.

I use hooks time to time on shrugs when my forearms are feeling sore and use straps on my deadlifts now too. Hopefully this isn't tendonitis, I would hate for it to begin getting worse at only 25 years old lol...
    Genomyx Rep
    www.genomyx.com
  8. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.47%

I was originally diagnosed with arthritis at 25, in my knees and back. the thumbs didn't really hit till I was 41 or so.
    This space for rent

9. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'5"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.32%

I was originally diagnosed with arthritis at 25, in my knees and back. the thumbs didn't really hit till I was 41 or so.
    Dang man.
    I bet if you wouldn't have gone to the doc he wouldn't have told you you had arthritis. That's my motive, if I don't go he can't tell me I'm unhealthy, so in turn I believe I'm healthy!
    Genomyx Rep
    www.genomyx.com
  10. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.47%

yeah, what had happened with me is I had strained my back fairly badly at work, so they went ahead and did full body xrays (I guess its a part of any work injury claim?). Thats when they said nothing wrong with your back, but the cartillage in your knees sucks
    This space for rent

11. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'5"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.32%

Do they crack every time you extend them? Mine have been doing that for a few years now, I can hardly do warmups on squat without wraps, and often have to move to the hack squat machine because I feel like my knees are going to blow out.
    Genomyx Rep
    www.genomyx.com
  12. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.47%

no, they aren't noisy, but I can't do any sort of impact activity any length of time. Squats and legpresses are fine, running or basketball is not.
    This space for rent

Similar Forum Threads

1. What can I take for Muscle Ache/Soreness?
    By Wudog in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-29-2009, 08:24 AM
  2. Muscle soreness while on Epistane
    By Jim Mills in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-14-2008, 10:22 AM
  3. Best Supp For Muscle Soreness?
    By bassgod272 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 07-08-2008, 11:01 AM
  4. Do strength/muscle size go hand in hand ?
    By ReaperX in forum General Chat
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-14-2007, 01:32 PM
  5. LR3 IGF-1 and muscle soreness?
    By javman in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-15-2005, 01:11 PM