Arms on DC Workout

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Hey everyone!

First off, I've been doing the DC workout for a while now and couldn't be happier, have seen gains and increase in size even while on a caloric deficit, how can you complain about that?!

But one thing is, I have very developed shoulders, back and chest, a lot in part due to me swimming often, a lot to do with the amount of rehab I've done because of shoulder injuries but also a lot because of my body type.

Anyways, I've got pretty much the "V" look, even though I still carry a lot of extra around my waist, that's just how broad the shoulders go (think weird shoulder width, Dwight Howard style), the problem is, my arms therefore look tiny and underdeveloped despite working them out with the same frequency and intensity as everything else (17.3 inches around for biceps just as reference) but they still do not look as big, heavily in part due to the shoulders.

So here's the question: On a normal routine I would put extra exercises to maybe target peaks and whatnot, but i am currently doing DC training and therefore that can't happen. How do I target my biceps more while DC training? Should I add an extra "set" for biceps? Like some sort of concentration for Biceps / Triceps as an extra one?

Inputs really appreciated!

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey everyone!

First off, I've been doing the DC workout for a while now and couldn't be happier, have seen gains and increase in size even while on a caloric deficit, how can you complain about that?!

But one thing is, I have very developed shoulders, back and chest, a lot in part due to me swimming often, a lot to do with the amount of rehab I've done because of shoulder injuries but also a lot because of my body type.

Anyways, I've got pretty much the "V" look, even though I still carry a lot of extra around my waist, that's just how broad the shoulders go (think weird shoulder width, Dwight Howard style), the problem is, my arms therefore look tiny and underdeveloped despite working them out with the same frequency and intensity as everything else (17.3 inches around for biceps just as reference) but they still do not look as big, heavily in part due to the shoulders.

So here's the question: On a normal routine I would put extra exercises to maybe target peaks and whatnot, but i am currently doing DC training and therefore that can't happen. How do I target my biceps more while DC training? Should I add an extra "set" for biceps? Like some sort of concentration for Biceps / Triceps as an extra one?

Inputs really appreciated!
For basically all exercises, Dante says not to, and there's good logic in what he says. I agree with him in all counts, except with biceps. There are two ways really to go with this. With his way, pick back exercises that have greater bicep recruitment associated with them. This means chinups, using underhand grip for rows, etc. Alternatively, just do another set of a different bicep workout. Try #2 for a blast and see how you feel about the results. I especially do this since I dont really do direct forearm work like he suggests, and many of the forearm exercises he recommended were curl variations also targeting the bicep.

EDIT: also dude, you're pretty tall. You are gonna naturally appear to have smaller arms than most because of that, but don't sweat it too much.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The biggest arm muscle is the tricep. If you want the arms to look big then add size there. I would just suggest doing the regular DC for whatever arm muscle is getting worked(bicep,tricep) and follow it up with a widowmaker set of another type of movement for that muscle. EX: biceps DC set of DBs followed by a widowmaker set of Oly bar curls. Triceps: DC set of dips followed by a widowmaker set of say skull crushers. The weight for the widowmaker set should be enough so that at 15 reps you are becoming more religious but keep going to 20!

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
One of the best things I did for bi's on DC was stick with a a moderately heavy weight and squeeze out the higher part of the rep range.

I started focusing on a really slow controlled negative. The last few reps you may have to cheat getting the weight up, but keep good slow form on the negative.

Are you doing the bicep stretch?

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
One of the best things I did for bi's on DC was stick with a a moderately heavy weight and squeeze out the higher part of the rep range.

I started focusing on a really slow controlled negative. The last few reps you may have to cheat getting the weight up, but keep good slow form on the negative.

Are you doing the bicep stretch?
I've been doing the stretches on a preacher bench with a foam roll underneath my elbows.

I also do a 40 second negative drop before I go for the stretches.

The biggest arm muscle is the tricep. If you want the arms to look big then add size there. I would just suggest doing the regular DC for whatever arm muscle is getting worked(bicep,tricep) and follow it up with a widowmaker set of another type of movement for that muscle. EX: biceps DC set of DBs followed by a widowmaker set of Oly bar curls. Triceps: DC set of dips followed by a widowmaker set of say skull crushers. The weight for the widowmaker set should be enough so that at 15 reps you are becoming more religious but keep going to 20!
Yeah, I realize the triceps thing, I really was hoping for something on both sides of the coin, I do enjoy the peak of the biceps though, but would really enjoy something to make my triceps look bigger while relaxed; they are pretty good size flexed, but the relaxed of my arms overall never really makes justice to them, probably as said here too because of the height issue.

Really do like the suggestion of widowmaker set though, will probably incorporate that on all of my arm workouts (bi, tri, and forearms)

For basically all exercises, Dante says not to, and there's good logic in what he says. I agree with him in all counts, except with biceps. There are two ways really to go with this. With his way, pick back exercises that have greater bicep recruitment associated with them. This means chinups, using underhand grip for rows, etc. Alternatively, just do another set of a different bicep workout. Try #2 for a blast and see how you feel about the results. I especially do this since I dont really do direct forearm work like he suggests, and many of the forearm exercises he recommended were curl variations also targeting the bicep.

EDIT: also dude, you're pretty tall. You are gonna naturally appear to have smaller arms than most because of that, but don't sweat it too much.
I know I shouldn't sweat much, should be happy for the shoulders and all, but it's just one area that I've always enjoyed. Cause it's kinda annoying when I have to buy an XL shirt because of shoulder width but can't fill it up with my arms. I will perhaps give it a shot with the whole forearms thing.

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
What are your 3 bi and tri movements right now?

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Preacher Curls
Alternating Barbell Curl
Mid Grip Dumbbell Curl

V-Bar Pushdown
Cable Triceps Pushdown
Dumbbell Lying Triceps Extension Across the Face

Then for forearms I have:
Hammer Curls
Reverse Grip Dumbbell Curls
Wide Grip Dumbbell Curls

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
for tri's you definitely need some kind of pressing movement:

-JM Press
-Close Grip Bench
-Reverse Grip Bench
-Dips

for bi's, I like to add in a closer grip chin up, focusing on the bicep through the movement.

Forearms - I would substitute in Pinwheel curls.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

-JM Press
-Close Grip Bench
-Reverse Grip Bench
-Dips
for bi's, I like to add in a closer grip chin up, focusing on the bicep through the movement.

This should be a given!! They work the largest muscle in the triceps.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established

-JM Press
-Close Grip Bench
-Reverse Grip Bench
-Dips

I have a closer grip chin up on my back day as well, figured it was a good way to go about it.

And wouldn't dips be focusing way too much on an already tired chest?

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
I have a closer grip chin up on my back day as well, figured it was a good way to go about it.

And wouldn't dips be focusing way too much on an already tired chest?
on dips, keep your body up right - more perpendicular to the ground.

The whole philosophy around DC is using as many compound movements as possible.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
on dips, keep your body up right - more perpendicular to the ground.

The whole philosophy around DC is using as many compound movements as possible.
I mean, I grasp that concept but I just figured wouldn't go as much for arms. Everything else I've got pretty much all around compounds, but I just felt like it would be overtraining some of these muscles if I was hitting them every other day.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
On the topic of JM presses, somebody really needs to make a proper video or exrx-like description/.gif showing how to do the JM press. I absolutely cannot get it from any text-only description, and all the vids I've tried to watch haven't hit the spot yet. I tried them once a wee bit over a year ago under supervision of a friend, and they were amazing. I haven't been able to replicate that again.

CoorsLight126

CoorsLight126

Awards
#1- dont train your arms directly for about 2 wks
#2- switch to only dumbbells for the next good while, and dont go about 35 lb dumbbells for biceps. your goal is to make those 35 lb dumbells feel like 70's, and the only way to do that is squeeze your bi's harder on each rep and focus on form
#3- Get his **** out of your head about "hitting the muscles from all angles" its overrated garbage!! I guarantee you could leave out tri pressdowns and only do close grips and have the same if not better looking arm. The arms follow suit to the entire upper body as it grows