Anyone else workout early in the morning?

Dchristo

Awards
I've started working out at 5 am and i really like it, only thing is i don't eat before the gym. I usually just do a scoop of bcaa's and a scoop of gatorade and sip on it during my workout. And protein post workout

Am i missing out on gains by not eating before the gym?

Should i mix more into my intra workout? And if so, what?

Thanks bros

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've started working out at 5 am and i really like it, only thing is i don't eat before the gym. I usually just do a scoop of bcaa's and a scoop of gatorade and sip on it during my workout. And protein post workout

Am i missing out on gains by not eating before the gym?

Should i mix more into my intra workout? And if so, what?

Thanks bros
I train first thing in the morning, fasted, and my sessions last anywhere from 1-4 hours (sometimes more). As long as your nutrition throughout the day is on target for your goals, no, you are not missing out on gains by not eating before the gym - I have personally found no difference in achieving my goals by training fasted or unfasted.

I only use water during training, but if you want to have BCAA's, etc. pre and during training, then you can - this is up to you.

~Rosie~

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes, you are compromising your training.

There's mounds of research demonstrating an alteration in hormonal and performance measures during fasted training.

Get some greek yogurt. Do a 1/2-1 cup with some granola sprinkled on top. This is what I eat when I train in the AM. Its light, easily digestable, and will provide you with some energy to get the job done.

Br

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
I trained for 7 years at 5:30 am and ate a meal before hand. Days I didnt it sucked

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

There's mounds of research demonstrating an alteration in hormonal and performance measures during fasted training.

Get some greek yogurt. Do a 1/2-1 cup with some granola sprinkled on top. This is what I eat when I train in the AM. Its light, easily digestable, and will provide you with some energy to get the job done.

Br
What he said, but add some fruit to the granola and Greek yogurt. You get more glucose, electrolytes, and alkalinity by adding fruit.

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If i'm on a cut i do fasted workouts first thing in the morning. If i'm bulking I never skip a meal.:laugh2::laugh2:

Thatguy_603

Awards
I would have to say it's a personal preference .

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Br
THANK YOU! If you could maybe PM me a study or 2 if you have them on hand :) I've brought this question up regarding fasted training (I myself have never trained fasted) and I always get the "whatever works for you" response.

I work rotating shifts (afternoons to midnights no day shifts) so my early might not be the same as your early. Currently I work afternoon shift and wake up at 10am I eat a omelet made with 4 eggs 4oz chicken 30g cheese and 1 cup brown rice. I work out 1 hour after.

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
I usally train in morning with a heavy-bag for 20min with a conditioning routine (jump squats,poly push-ups,ab-work) takes around 50min.

I do that one with a scoop of whey.

For my 45min heavy-bag (int.80-85%h/r) i do the shake and an orange or c.strawberries,tried the yogurt once didn't go to good.

Im also training with weights in eve and some hiit/conditioning 4days aweek.
But doing morning thing 5 days with sat morning swimming to recover.

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
I train heavy from about 5:15am until about 7:35am M-W-F

I get up about 4:15 to 4:25 (depending on if I hit snooze or not). As quick as I can I eat three pieces of 100% whole wheat toast with a blob of natty p-butter and honey on each piece. While eating I am drinking my PreWO and taking my first round of daily sups. I'm usually done eating by about 4:35 to 4:40. Then I take my morning constitution, pack my bag, and hop in the car. I usually pick up my first weight about 5:20...so everything has had a good 40 minutes to start the digestion process. I used to eat 4 pieces of toast, but found it was a bit much before some heavy deads and making me ill. Post WO I drink a whey recovery shake with 52g protein.

It took me a good couple of months to adjust to this schedule...but now I am pretty good to go with it. I think its been about 3 years now.

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
I train 5 days a week and get to the gym at 5am. Training lasts until 7am - so two hours. Been doing this for about 20 years - except when I was out to sea on a ship in the Navy.

I train fasted.

I have trained after eating a meal too - but I never noticed a difference, so went back to fasted. I sip the BCAA's throughout the workout.

I follow a simple routine ...

Each training session starts out with 10 minutes of moderate intensity cardio - just to warm up the body.

Then ...

Monday: Heavy Chest / Shoulders
Tuesday: Light Back
Wednesday: Legs (and that is normally leg press / squat / deads / ham curls / leg lifts)
Thursday: Light Chest / Shoulders
Friday: Heavy Back