looking for advice, gym time is interfering with my ability to work properly

ru85

Awards
i just started back at the gym after 8 months away. i trained for about 4 years before that with no breaks but my new job is what got me out of my gym routine 8 months back. i hit the gym hard 3 days ago and since have been a little easier. my job is intense labor, i deliver high end furniture 65 hours a week, its a brutal job but it pays pretty well. I'm 110% determined to get back in the gym and my plan is to get huge, my diet is doin well... but i need some help throwin together a decent workout schedule that will help me ease back in and not be so sore I'm unable to preform my job. the last 2 days have been at times Neely impossible, the soreness is really interfering.

again my goal is to get as huge, any advice would be great

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
Maybe just a an upper/lower routine 2x a week, or even full body once or twice?

I do a push/pull/legs, but it could take me a month to hit all the body parts just once due to work.....

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
Well, one of the reasons why you're so sore is because you're just getting back into it. After your muscles get a little conditioned, DOMS won't be as bad as it is right now. And muscle memory is a great thing so even after an 8 month break, you'll easily get your gains back.

One thing you can do is schedule your most brutal workout (squats or deadlifts) on your Friday, so at least you'll have 2 days to recover before going back to work.

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, one of the reasons why you're so sore is because you're just getting back into it. After your muscles get a little conditioned, DOMS won't be as bad as it is right now. And muscle memory is a great thing so even after an 8 month break, you'll easily get your gains back.

One thing you can do is schedule your most brutal workout (squats or deadlifts) on your Friday, so at least you'll have 2 days to recover before going back to work.

What he said is right. DOMS will be very high upon first returning to the gym. Your body will adapt after a week or two and the soreness will go down. It is also best to slowly increase intensity, weight, and volume which will significantly reduce soreness

ru85

Awards
Maybe just a an upper/lower routine 2x a week, or even full body once or twice?

I do a push/pull/legs, but it could take me a month to hit all the body parts just once due to work.....
thats my current routine(push/pull/legs) until the soreness goes away, or doms as i see its called. every other day... so 3/4 days a week. im done with week one and my body is sore as hell, and im dreading work.. ha. take a month to hit all body parts!? i work 65 hours a week... can still make time for an hour at the gym each day

ru85

Awards

i remember muscle soreness back when i first started lifting, and i hear others talk about it all the time when they are just startin up... but i dont remember it being like this, haha... its made work a nightmare.. i only have mondays off and i only deliver wed and saturdays.. so maybe squats saturday after work?

ru85

Awards
What he said is right. DOMS will be very high upon first returning to the gym. Your body will adapt after a week or two and the soreness will go down. It is also best to slowly increase intensity, weight, and volume which will significantly reduce soreness
could i keep high weight just not do as many sets per muscle? or would it be better to keep the weight down and do an average amount of sets and reps

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
i remember muscle soreness back when i first started lifting, and i hear others talk about it all the time when they are just startin up... but i dont remember it being like this, haha... its made work a nightmare.. i only have mondays off and i only deliver wed and saturdays.. so maybe squats saturday after work?
Yeah, I'd say work legs on Sat after work and work your back Wed after work. That'll give you sufficient time to recover and not have to worry too much about being sore for deliveries.