Squat Jump Q's

808rebel

808rebel

Awards
So im a basketball player 6'3.5" ~230 (currently) and while i can easily dunk and what not im not satisfied. I dont really have a plyometric routine or anything. the only thing i really do is rim touches (single and double leg, single and double hand touches).

I used to do hex-bar deadlift jumps in the past and I felt like it worked. I used to do a medium-pace deadlift until my back was more upright, and then explode into jump where i got about 2-4 inches off the ground. Is this a good workout? (i basically made it up on my own and never saw anyone else do it before)

Also, If i wanted to start doing squat jumps, what would be the correct and safe way to do so? I normally squat bare-foot (socks on) and as s to the ground, no exceptions. Now i would probably use shoes for the squat jump because it would be more stable, but should i still go all the way to the ground?

And, should i start slow and explode when I my back is more upright? (like i did in the past with the deadlift jumps) I cant imagine exploding from the bottom, i think id be too scared of hurting my groin and my back.

Thanks

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So im a basketball player 6'3.5" ~230 (currently) and while i can easily dunk and what not im not satisfied. I dont really have a plyometric routine or anything. the only thing i really do is rim touches (single and double leg, single and double hand touches).

I used to do hex-bar deadlift jumps in the past and I felt like it worked. I used to do a medium-pace deadlift until my back was more upright, and then explode into jump where i got about 2-4 inches off the ground. Is this a good workout? (i basically made it up on my own and never saw anyone else do it before)

Also, If i wanted to start doing squat jumps, what would be the correct and safe way to do so? I normally squat bare-foot (socks on) and as s to the ground, no exceptions. Now i would probably use shoes for the squat jump because it would be more stable, but should i still go all the way to the ground?

And, should i start slow and explode when I my back is more upright? (like i did in the past with the deadlift jumps) I cant imagine exploding from the bottom, i think id be too scared of hurting my groin and my back.

Thanks
What is a "good" workout for anyone else is irrelevant when it comes to you. if what you are doing is effective for you and you progress, getting the results you want and need, then you should be ok - just make sure you use correct form for each exercise.

Re squat jumps, you can do them barefoot or with shoes on (wearing shoes does not mean any more stability than not wearing them) - I do them both ways.

Whether or not you go all the way to the ground is up to you - I personally do, but not everyone can do that re flexibility. If you can and want to, there is no reason why you shouldn't.

Squat jumps are a "power" exercise, so explode from the moment you start back up - don't wait until you've straightened your back, IMO - the same way you would do with squats.

~Rosie~

808rebel

808rebel

Awards
Re squat jumps, you can do them barefoot or with shoes on (wearing shoes does not mean any more stability than not wearing them) - I do them both ways.

Whether or not you go all the way to the ground is up to you - I personally do, but not everyone can do that re flexibility. If you can and want to, there is no reason why you shouldn't.

Squat jumps are a "power" exercise, so explode from the moment you start back up - don't wait until you've straightened your back, IMO - the same way you would do with squats.

~Rosie~
I'll try them out with lighter weight going all the way down, but idk, it just seems sketchy lol. being 6'3" and doing a squat where my ass touches my ankle on every rep looks sketchy enough LOL. but i'll try it.

I say having shoes on makes it more stable because i have some stupid-as s clumsy big feet, size 17, and on top of that i have reoccuring ankle sprains (probably due to my stupid feet)

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll try them out with lighter weight going all the way down, but idk, it just seems sketchy lol. being 6'3" and doing a squat where my ass touches my ankle on every rep looks sketchy enough LOL. but i'll try it.

I say having shoes on makes it more stable because i have some stupid-as s clumsy big feet, size 17, and on top of that i have reoccuring ankle sprains (probably due to my stupid feet)
As I said, whether you go all the way down is entirely up to you. You can just go to parallel if it's an issue for you, or you feel that you're not going to be able to perform the exercise with correct technique (remember that the weight used is not as important as form).

I see.

~Rosie~

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There are various ways to perform them, based on what you are trying to get out of them. A half way squat and a burst up is going to be most representative of what you do in your sport. Keep the volume low, and the reps to less than 3 or 4.

Squat jumps are good, but..

So are hang and power cleans. In fact, the hang clean is going to mimic going up for a rebound more than any other weight room exercise.

And there is no substitute for plyometrics. Taking advantage of the SSC will really improve your performance on the court.

Br

808rebel

808rebel

Awards
There are various ways to perform them, based on what you are trying to get out of them. A half way squat and a burst up is going to be most representative of what you do in your sport. Keep the volume low, and the reps to less than 3 or 4.

Squat jumps are good, but..

So are hang and power cleans. In fact, the hang clean is going to mimic going up for a rebound more than any other weight room exercise.

And there is no substitute for plyometrics. Taking advantage of the SSC will really improve your performance on the court.

Br
what's SSC?

thanks for the input...im acutally planning on doing hang and power cleans, and jump squats and some plyometrics on my cardio day...my cardio day bsaically is just treadmill warmup and basketball for hours lol...

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
Look into doing polymetrics with Jumpsoles. I had a pair of them back home and used to use them 2 times a week. It got me just touching the rim at 5'10". Of course this was 6-7 years ago and I was about 20lbs lighter LOL

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
SSC is the stretch shortening cycle.

Figure 4 Animation of a drop jump highlighting the phases of the stretch-shortening cycle, which enhances muscle mechanical output. (a) Eccentric phase: muscles that are actively stretched develop high forces, store elastic energy, and elicit a stretch-reflex activation response. (b) Amortization phase: the time between eccentric and concentric phases, which must remain short or much of the enhanced muscle output is lost. (c) Concentric phase: muscles shorten with high force and elastic energy return, which increases muscle work and power output.
When doing plyometrics, you want to minimize ground contact time (Phase B). Plyometrics are so successful because they combine the mechanically stored elastic energy (created in phase A) with the conscious decision to explode (Phase C).

A couple things.

First, plyometrics ARE NOT cardio or conditioning work. Despite what the "fitness guru's", p90x freaks, cross-fit clowns, and rent-a-trainers are using them for, plyometrics will only benefit you if you perform them like a resistance training exercise. This means lower volume and longer rest periods. Once your form/technique breaks down due to fatigue, you are not only NOT benefiting from the exercise, but actually working in the opposite. Poor technique due to fatigue instills poor motor skills (like shooting with your elbow ****ed out over and over again) and increases the risk for injury.

So, warm up, do your plyo workout, and if you want to do conditioning, do it after.

Br

808rebel

808rebel

Awards
very very interesting...seems very logical

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Training Forum 1
Training Forum 5
Training Forum 3
Powerlifting/Strongman 5
Pleonastic Training Forum 8