Help Needed

BaDgErFaN

Awards
  • Established
I have been following Ripptoes Starting Strength for about 9 months and am looking for a change. So I am trying to come up with a new routine. I like the simplicity of SS and I was thinking of doing something kinda like a push/pull/legs except ive really enjoyed hitting my shoulders on a separate day than the bench press. So this is what I was thinking...

Mon

Bench Press 5x5
Dips 3x8
CG Bench 3x8
Skullcrushers 2x10

Wed

Bent-Over Rows 5x5
Deadlifts 5x5
Chin-Ups 3x8
BB Curls 3x8

(before someone says "do deadlifts before rows", Ive tried that and by the time I get to rowsmy lower back is too shot to hold proper form)

Fri.

Squat 5x5
OH Press 5x5
RDL 3x8
Calf work
Abs

So as you can see its basically a push/pull/ legs with OH press thrown into leg day. Im trying to somewhat keep with the principles in SS of not having all the iso work, so please dont recommend I throw in a bunch of extra isolation exercises. The few iso's I have are all I want. Other than that, What do you guys think?

-Thanks

drvinnybombat

Awards
If you're trying to stick with the Rip philosophy of training, you need to have compound movements be the cornerstone. The key to his program is the ton of squats, cleans and deads. I've tried to make a push/pull split work, but it just can't be done. Other splits are simply better than this hybrid because they take advantage of isolation.

I would move to the Madcow/Bill Starr 5x5 which is a more advanced version of SS. I personally love this routine, and you can use different exercises. I like Squat, Dead, Bench, Overhead Press, and Cleans, but you can use what you are comfortable with.

When I stagnate or need a switch, I reverse the order of the exercises, change the exercises(flat bench to incline, standing press to push press, rows to cleans, etc.), or just take a week or two off.

I'm a little against the crowd here, but I don't really like the split routines. When I'm not on a full body strength routine, I go in the complete opposite direction and run CrossFit.

BaDgErFaN

Awards
  • Established
^^^ Thanks for the advice! One of the things I wanted to change was the amount of squatting. Im just a little tired of squatting every time i go to the gym. Especially with spring here I am wanting to do more activities outside like sports, hiking, etc. and am sick of my legs always being sore and the impact that will have on the other activities.

drvinnybombat

Awards
Unfortunately, Bill Starr/Madcow/Starting Strength all say the same thing about squats. Don't f*** with the squats. I ran Madcow and ran a fast mile or two(6:30 pace or so) or a medium intensity interval(sprint 0:30 walk 0:30) the day after the 2 heavy squat days and stretched the day after the light middle day. I think it kept the DOMS at a manageable level; I was never to sore to live my life.

I also liked the structured weight increases in the excel file they give you. I always do better with an improvement goal instead of simply getting stronger.

This one:
http://www.wackyhq.com/madcow5x5/geocities/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm