Bringing back Size Surge

Mafesto31

Awards
I'm about to start the old ten week size surge program and was wondering if anyone has tried it? I have NEVER ran a full body routine, push/pull/legs is as close as I have gotten. I mainly do powerlifting routines(5/3/1) but want to take a break from strength training and drop a few fat lbs, add some leanness.
*edited
This is my modified size surge program:
*Lifts will be max effort for given rep range
*shoulder rotation prehab before starting
*on sets 3x10 or 4x10 there will be only a 30sec. rest
Monday
Squats 1x3-6, 3x10
Leg Press 3x10
Bench Presses 1x3-6, 3x10
Incline dumbbell presses 3x10
Bent over Rows 1x3-6, 3x10
Seated Wide-grip rows 3x10
Standing calf raises 2x6-8, 3x10
If time permits: Side lateral raises + rear delts 3x10 superset with leg raises
Wednesday
Deadlifts 2x2-4,2x7-9
Stiff-leg deadlift 3x10
Standing military press 1x3-6, 3x10
Upright row + rear delts 3x10 superset
Single-leg calf raises 4x7-9
Barbell curls 1x3-6, 3x10
Incline hammer curls 3x10
Skull Crushers 1x3-6, 3x10
Pushdowns 3x10
Forearms/weighted sit-ups 3x10
Friday (lighter weight used)
Squats 4x10
Leg Press 4x10
Leg press calf raises 4x10
Bench w/ pro short bands 4x10
Heavy weighted dips 3x10
Heavy Weighted Chins 4x10
Pulldowns 3x10
Side lateral raises + rear delts 4x10
Abs 4x10
I may change some things up as i see fit. Any thoughts/comments on this routine? Can one maintain strength with a full body program?

crux

Awards
I'm curious to see how you do. I can't imagine having enough energy to perform the second half of these training sessions effectively, but I do see that your sets/exercise is only 1-2. Keep us posted.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Couple things.

First, I think you need more posterior kinetic chain work.

Some rumanian deadlifts or single leg rumanian deadlifts, as well as glute-hip bridges and/or hip pull throughs will do you well. Instead of ham curls, do swiss ball leg curls.

Same with the upper body. You have a lot of pushing work and scapula protraction movements, but little pulling. Match or exceed your pull to push. Add in some face pulls and wide-grip (over hand) high seated rows.
Also, keeping with the protecting your shoulders theme, add in some external rotations and scapula depressions.

Finally, there are few exercises I don't think you need:
Seated calf raises 1x10 slow
Works only the soleus. The soleus is a slow twitch muscle, has little potential for growth, and gets enough work with straight knee calf raises.

Front shoulder raises: Your anterior delts are getting plenty of work in all your pressing movements. If anything, increase the volume of rear delt work to balance this.

Wrist curls: With the exception of 2 or 3 out of 20 muscles, all the muscles of the forearm insert into the fingers and are involved in gripping. I'd say leave this out if you're pressed for time.

Br

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I'm about to start the old ten week size surge program and was wondering if anyone has tried it? I have NEVER ran a full body routine, push/pull/legs is as close as I have gotten. I mainly do powerlifting routines(5/3/1) but want to take a break from strength training and drop a few fat lbs, add some leanness.

You may also want to check out Marc MacDougals "Lose fat like you're on crack" http://www.mindandmuscle.net/?q=articles/marc_mcdougal/lose_fat

Br

Mafesto31

Awards
Thanks for the advise zir red. I've been following your shoulder warm up you recommended to someone for sometime now. My routine is usually pull-dominate hence the limited back work but you are right. I'm thinking of wide grip facepulls and good mornings instead of pullovers and back ext. ill change the leg curls to straight-leg deads and add Romanian deads. I have never used front lat raises and will use that time for more rear felt work. Any more advise is definitely welcome.

Mafesto31

Awards
Im taking a d-load week and tried the monday and wednesday routine at 50-60%. Trying to keep this within a time limit is going to be a real challenge especially going to failure; may not be possible while squating and deadlifting around 450-500lbs. I will definitely be burning some cals with this.