Help developing chest. Left pec feels like more fat than right.

ballastatus

Awards
should i just keep dieting to reduce overall fat? seems like my left outer chest is bigger than my right... and the left one sticks out maybe half an inch forward. probably less than that.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
From what I can tell looking at those pics, in conjunction with the difference in pec development your right shoulder is higher and more protracted (pulled forward) than the left side, while your right anterior deltoid is more developed than your left.

This would lead me to assume that you are compensating for lack of strength on the right pec with your ant delt. As a result of, and perhaps due to your form and exercise selection causing muscular imbalances, you've created a postural deviation and an imbalance in muscular development.

Br

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
From what I can tell looking at those pics, in conjunction with the difference in pec development your right shoulder is higher and more protracted (pulled forward) than the left side, while your right anterior deltoid is more developed than your left.

This would lead me to assume that you are compensating for lack of strength on the right pec with your ant delt. As a result of, and perhaps due to your form and exercise selection causing muscular imbalances, you've created a postural deviation and an imbalance in muscular development.

Br
Completely agree with this! Great post!

O.P. do you do dumbbell presses or barbell? When i do overhead pressing with barbell you can actually see the right side of the bar go up more which is from my right front delt being stronger than the left. Planning on switching to dumbbells soon. Give it a shot?

ThER6KinG

ThER6KinG

Awards
  • Established
I have the same problem, I broke my left collar bone 3 years back and now my right upper part is not growing right so my left pec is bigger than my right. Im not sure how to explain it without a picture. How do i post one?

ballastatus

Awards
Thanks for the replies!

Zir Red: I see what your saying about my shoulder. What do you think that I could do to improve or even them out? I am currently cutting down. Shooting for around 160 then gonna bulk up.

thetinyguy: I do only dumbbell chest exercises. However, in the past it was mostly barbell presses.

ther6king: post a pic by clicking the manage attachments button in the additional options of the reply to thread page.

I have included an updated pic. still looks about the same tho. what do yall think i should do?

Attachments

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
Honestly all i can say is keep training hard and see if it balances out, I'm sure it will just take some time and you'll be good to go!

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Work to get your shoulders back (scapula retraction). Put much more emphasis into scap retraction exercises and focus on just Maintaining your pecs with 3-4 sets (Total) chest presses each week and NO front delt work.

Do this for the duration of your cutting phase, then when you go back into trying to gain mass, keep pec work and scapula retraction work equal.

Br

crazym

Awards
Both sides of the upper body are slightly different, try moving your shoulders around in front of the mirror to see if you can even up the look. Then if you can try and hold that posture and practice that.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Various forms of wide grip over hand rows to the chest
Supine rows
Face pulls
Rear delt work
Band pull a parts
Barbell, t-bar, and cable rows
Scapula depressions
Scaptions

For pec maintenance stick to dumbbell presses using a full ROM and keeping your shoulder blades squeezed together.