lateral delts - AnabolicMinds.com

lateral delts

  1. Montesano813's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    40
    Rep Power
    74

    Reputation

    lateral delts


    Any exercises you guys are a fan of the work the lateral delt besides lateral raises or ways to tweek lateral raises to make them harder. I'm having a lot of trouble building my lateral delt.

    Thanks am

  2. Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  123 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,156
    Rep Power
    193998

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Montesano813 View Post
    Any exercises you guys are a fan of the work the lateral delt besides lateral raises or ways to tweek lateral raises to make them harder. I'm having a lot of trouble building my lateral delt.

    Thanks am
    Try doing Hammer Raises (plate and dumbbells) and if not already doing lateral raises single-arm, add them in as well. Do supersets, even trisets of deltoid exercises. Behind-the-neck BB military press has also helped in bringing my delts out.

    ~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  3. ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297848

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    I strongly caution against behind the neck barbell presses for a few reasons:

    1. Many people do not have the ROM to bring the bar behind the neck without incuring some spinal flexion

    2. And perhaps most important, the nature of a behind the neck presses place the shoulder joint at high risk for impingement of the RC muscles. The shoulder abduction + external rotation is a perfect recipe to impinge the supraspinus tendon and biceps tendon, resulting in tendonitis and eventually leading to weakening and even tears. And when that happens, how are you going to make your middle delts larger?

    Answer, perform dumbbell presses at full ROM. Keep your elbows pointing in front of you at the bottom of the ROM, and let them gradually move out as the ROM is finished. Finish with your forearms equal to your ears (many cannot fully flex the shoulder when seated upright..a sign of a tight posterior shoulder capsule). Keep your shoulder blades squeezed together and down the entire movement (yes, this will reduce the amount of weight you can use).

    Br
    •   
       

  4. Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  123 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,156
    Rep Power
    193998

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    I strongly caution against behind the neck barbell presses for a few reasons:

    1. Many people do not have the ROM to bring the bar behind the neck without incuring some spinal flexion

    2. And perhaps most important, the nature of a behind the neck presses place the shoulder joint at high risk for impingement of the RC muscles. The shoulder abduction + external rotation is a perfect recipe to impinge the supraspinus tendon and biceps tendon, resulting in tendonitis and eventually leading to weakening and even tears. And when that happens, how are you going to make your middle delts larger?

    Answer, perform dumbbell presses at full ROM. Keep your elbows pointing in front of you at the bottom of the ROM, and let them gradually move out as the ROM is finished. Finish with your forearms equal to your ears (many cannot fully flex the shoulder when seated upright..a sign of a tight posterior shoulder capsule). Keep your shoulder blades squeezed together and down the entire movement (yes, this will reduce the amount of weight you can use).

    Br
    Re the Behind-the-neck BB Military Press - each to their own. I have no issues in doing it. And for guys wanting to do it and get the ROM right, there is nothing against putting the ego aside and doing it with light[er] weight if they want to add it in. Good points, though, Red.

    ~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  5. Thudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    93
    Rep Power
    143

    Reputation

    As an alternative to behind-the-neck presses there's always DB W-presses. Let's you get your arms/elbows back as far as comfortable without worrying about the shoulder issues in BTN pressing (which I agree with, I think they're a recipe for injury)
  6. lonewolf0420's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  223 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,314
    Rep Power
    1679

    Reputation

    Wide grip upright rows.
  7. JimHTP's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    50

    Reputation

    If youre still 205 like your profile says....gain 20 lbs. thats why your side delts are small. you are too damn tall to weigh 205! Can you standing overhead press your bodyweight? NO? Then you don't need special exercises. You need to add muscle and get significantly stronger on exercises that will further muscle growth. You probably wont add 60 lbs to your lateral raise this year but if you work on it you might on your OHP. And you AND your side delts will probably look alot more like you want them to.


    edit: small caveat....if that's your contest or low single digit bf weight, you may ignore everything I said
  8. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,830
    Rep Power
    768794

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf0420 View Post
    Wide grip upright rows.
    and also wide grip behind the back upright rows. I've incorporated those recently and seems to make a difference
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  9. MM11's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,818
    Rep Power
    17828

    Reputation

    To comment in the behind the neck military press. Again to each is own but I cannot perform this exercise with out causing pain in my shoulder. I also tore my labrum and have fraying in both rotator cuffs from rugby. My point is just be careful doing these and listen to your body ( Rosie that's not directed at you, I know you know what your doing and well in tune with your body).

    I have been doing a over head type fly that has really helped the development of my delts. I also love plate raises with slow controlled form holding at the top for a few sec then slowly lower back down.
  10. lonewolf0420's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  223 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,314
    Rep Power
    1679

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    and also wide grip behind the back upright rows. I've incorporated those recently and seems to make a difference
    I've started doing these as well. I've incorporated them more for targeting the rear delt, I then follow up with a few sets of front-side upright rows.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Lateral Delts - New moves?
    By cowboy007 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-09-2010, 02:35 PM
  2. linear/lateral shorts - what's different?
    By walugi in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-28-2009, 10:40 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-21-2008, 02:43 PM
  4. Bi-lateral Injections
    By Neuromancer in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-01-2004, 12:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in