Help with workout

Marc403

Marc403

Awards
Hey everyone I was wondering if anyone had any advice on a workout plan. I go to the gym 4 days a week and I have about 2 hours there. What kind of workouts would you guys recommend if I'm trying to cut down on fat while adding some lean mass? Im currently 30 197lbs 5'11" probably about 20% or so bf. Im looking to get some size and definition by the summer just tryin to look better. I used to weigh 270 and have dropped down to 180 then up to 197 where im at now. They gym I go to is planet fitness so we dont have every machine that some of the other gyms do but its the closest to my house and the hours fit my schedule. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot! :veryhappy:

jtterrible

jtterrible

Awards
I've had some great results with Dorian Yates' Blood and Guts routine. You could up the cardio to burn more calories, but his lift plan has got most things covered.

Hows your diet?

Marc403

Marc403

Awards
blood and guts huh? ill have to check that out. My diets ok although im sure theres room for improvement. its tough with work because i work 6 days a week between 9-11 hour days. typically ill have oatmeal in the am, handful of almonds later on, turkey on whole wheat with some chobani yogurt for lunch and grilled chicken and veggies for dinner. I know my diet needs improvement so any help with that would be awesome!

jtterrible

jtterrible

Awards
I'd suggest having nuts with you because they are very nutrient dense.. easy little snack that can give you extra calories and protein. Tuna sandwiches are portable for calories and protein. Just be creative. olive oil is almost tasteless and adds calories and healthy fats to foods. anabolicgrourmet.blogspot.com has lots of healthly great recipes.

there are different approaches you can take to get in better shape.. you can either cut for fat then clean bulk (semi harder) or you can bulk to get more muscular definition then cut.

bulking means intaking a lot of calories, and protein, to build your muscles up. Heavy weights are needed to force your body to adapt to the stress.

Cutting is taking just under or at your maintenance calories while continuing you normal routine with added cardio periods of around 30min to tap your reserves. The key is balancing catabolic and anabolic reactions. while cutting the catabolic reaction is stronger because of the lack of calories. For every 5-7lbs of fat you lose you'll lose around 1lb of muscle.

Marc403

Marc403

Awards
Thanks for your advice i really appreciate your input What do you think would be a better approach? I keep a bag of almonds with me at work so i can have them a few times a day and the tuna is def a good idea for lunches. How many times a day should I be eating? 5? I know nutrition is a huge part of this so Id like to get mine right so I can achieve the look im going for.

jtterrible

jtterrible

Awards
Thanks for your advice i really appreciate your input What do you think would be a better approach? I keep a bag of almonds with me at work so i can have them a few times a day and the tuna is def a good idea for lunches. How many times a day should I be eating? 5? I know nutrition is a huge part of this so Id like to get mine right so I can achieve the look im going for.
well the ideal amount is 6 meals per day.. so you're eating like every 2 hours-ish because it allows your metabolism to maintain a constant rate rather than it spiking in the morning, at noon, and around 5-6ish. Spread out your calories and protein evenly throughout the day. You don't really need more than 20-40g of protein per meal, unless you're like 300lbs lean, so a protein shake here and there can help with that too. If they are made right they taste awesome too. That blog has some amazing recipes for those.

Just make sure you look around for other alternatives because you need variation to get enough micro-nutrients and plus.. eating almonds and tuna everyday for 12 weeks will get really freakin old lol.

Other people who know more about diet will be able to assist you whenever they get on as well. :)

Marc403

Marc403

Awards
ok sounds good thanks again for all your help!

jtterrible

jtterrible

Awards
no problem.. at least you had the knowledge to ask about what you didn't know rather than assume you know all like some do.

anyone else have some insight?