Pull ups straight or angled?!

1. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  186 lbs.
    Answers

Pull ups straight or angled?!

Quick question for you guys...

Pull ups, how do you do em? Straight bar seems easier to me with less recruitment of lower lats as compared to utilizing handles? Does anyone have any info on if there is an actual difference between straight vs other methods?

No flaming necessary I used the search tool, searched google all that stuff and came up with a bunch of bickering little boys on bb.com. I also searched here without any luck.

Thx Valdez

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Answers

I always use a straight bar unless I do not have one. You can workout all your muscles on it still.. just focus on what you are doing. Example, it's possible to start the pull up starting with your arms and leaves out your lower lats and scapula a bit. Or you can start the movement by squeezing your scapula together first then follow through and you'll feel a difference.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222

3. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  121 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Dvaldez5 View Post
    Quick question for you guys...

Pull ups, how do you do em? Straight bar seems easier to me with less recruitment of lower lats as compared to utilizing handles? Does anyone have any info on if there is an actual difference between straight vs other methods?

No flaming necessary I used the search tool, searched google all that stuff and came up with a bunch of bickering little boys on bb.com. I also searched here without any luck.

Thx Valdez
    I generally use a straight bar or handles - depends on what grip I am doing - and go straight up and down (no angling of my body).

~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee

•   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  223 lbs.
    Answers

Different hand placements, recruit different areas of the back and shoulders. I say utilize all the angles. Wide, close, reversed close-wide.

5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  186 lbs.
    Answers

Right on guys thanks for the responses! I kill it on straight bar and have been mixing it up. I was just curious if one was better than the other cuz the handles/angled bars wreak havoc on my damn shoulders. If angled was better I was going to keep giving it a shot - no pain no gain.

6. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  121 lbs.
    Answers

Right on guys thanks for the responses! I kill it on straight bar and have been mixing it up. I was just curious if one was better than the other cuz the handles/angled bars wreak havoc on my damn shoulders. If angled was better I was going to keep giving it a shot - no pain no gain.
    No worries

What you use depends on what part of your back/muscles you are trying to hit, as lonewolf0420 mentioned.

I generally try and do a variation of them to hit everything.

~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee

7. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  223 lbs.
    Answers

Well, some positions are not going to be comfortable. Luckily the pull setup that I have allows for adjustment. I find that with my hands placed just outside of shoulders, pulls more from my shoulders and traps. I'm finding as I widen my grip further out, that I'm "feeling" more lat pull. I kinda have long arms, so whats wide enough for me, may too wide for you.

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Rack Pull Ups or Pull Up?
    By philek9 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-10-2011, 12:46 PM
  2. Low Rack Pull or Deficit Pull input before April 9th hurry!
    By brownstown89 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-22-2010, 02:10 PM
  3. PULL UPS
    By Bigguy851 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 02-03-2009, 10:53 AM
  4. Lat Pull Down
    By jbono731 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-16-2008, 06:30 PM
  5. Smith shoulder press, seat straight or seat slightly angled?
    By Wichard20 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-31-2007, 10:59 PM