Pull ups straight or angled?!

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Quick question for you guys...

Pull ups, how do you do em? Straight bar seems easier to me with less recruitment of lower lats as compared to utilizing handles? Does anyone have any info on if there is an actual difference between straight vs other methods?

No flaming necessary I used the search tool, searched google all that stuff and came up with a bunch of bickering little boys on bb.com. I also searched here without any luck.

Thx Valdez

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I always use a straight bar unless I do not have one. You can workout all your muscles on it still.. just focus on what you are doing. Example, it's possible to start the pull up starting with your arms and leaves out your lower lats and scapula a bit. Or you can start the movement by squeezing your scapula together first then follow through and you'll feel a difference.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Quick question for you guys...

Pull ups, how do you do em? Straight bar seems easier to me with less recruitment of lower lats as compared to utilizing handles? Does anyone have any info on if there is an actual difference between straight vs other methods?

No flaming necessary I used the search tool, searched google all that stuff and came up with a bunch of bickering little boys on bb.com. I also searched here without any luck.

Thx Valdez
I generally use a straight bar or handles - depends on what grip I am doing - and go straight up and down (no angling of my body).

~Rosie~

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established

Different hand placements, recruit different areas of the back and shoulders. I say utilize all the angles. Wide, close, reversed close-wide.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Right on guys thanks for the responses! I kill it on straight bar and have been mixing it up. I was just curious if one was better than the other cuz the handles/angled bars wreak havoc on my damn shoulders. If angled was better I was going to keep giving it a shot - no pain no gain.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Right on guys thanks for the responses! I kill it on straight bar and have been mixing it up. I was just curious if one was better than the other cuz the handles/angled bars wreak havoc on my damn shoulders. If angled was better I was going to keep giving it a shot - no pain no gain.
No worries :)

What you use depends on what part of your back/muscles you are trying to hit, as lonewolf0420 mentioned.

I generally try and do a variation of them to hit everything.

~Rosie~

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Well, some positions are not going to be comfortable. Luckily the pull setup that I have allows for adjustment. I find that with my hands placed just outside of shoulders, pulls more from my shoulders and traps. I'm finding as I widen my grip further out, that I'm "feeling" more lat pull. I kinda have long arms, so whats wide enough for me, may too wide for you.