Running and leg workouts

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
Check it out gents. I just ran 2 miles in 17:53. I need to run two miles in at least 16:36. This is for the army pt test. I room a diagnostic today and got 75 pushups(100%) 76 sirups(95%) and that time on the run...like 50% or so. I can squat ten sets of ten at 315 no problem. My Max leg press is around 800. I do ten sets of ten calf raises at 450.... but I can't run worth a damn. It feels like my calves are going to explode when I run. I look lime an ******* maxing sirups and pushups and failing the run...I've put on fifty pounds so I'm sure I just need to run more...but its too hard to run and do leg workouts. Leg strength means nothing in the army, you need to be able to run fast. Should I stop working my legs out and just run or what? Looking for any advice I can get. I acceptsd an e5 promotion and don't want to look like a **** failing as a sergeant. If anyone's in the army and has the same issue I'd love your input. Thanks for any advice you guys can give...I know running is mind over matter but I used to run three miles in 19:30 and it was not hard. Mind over matter does not take tthe place of proper conditioning. I need to pass this by next month. Thanks guys

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

oli

oli

Awards
  • Established
almost in the same boat as you, Sgt. im an E-5 & squad leader too so i don't wanna fail anything! as it is, my run sucks & i've always had to work on it. although, i love working out..esp. with deads and squats..i'm not one who can run and still train those movements how i want to. i pretty much just say f*ck it and lower my training weights..with everything. at the moment, i'm experimenting with using trap bar deads as a replacement for back squats and regular deadlifts. i figure, i'm kinda getting paid to knock this p.t. test out - so i tuck my pride away for a month or so & let my training weights drop.
- concerning your run training...what i like doing is interval training with my runs. there's a 3/4 mile field where i run that has light posts every few yards. what i do..is run 1 full lap, then the next lap alternate sprinting and slow runs ( or even a fast paced walk ) between post to post. but, u gotta make sure to run hard when u sprint. i also just have days where i do fake pt test. i do pushups...then situps..then run. other days, i run first because i know it needs the most work. hope this helps a little. good luck man!

Shredzz

Awards
If you feel its your leg training that is holding you back i.e. your calves fatiguing quick then cut the weight training out. Just gotta decide what you want to be your priority, big legs or passing this PT exam for the army.

Good luck

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Perhaps you're really flat footed?

Try looking into getting some better shoes that fit your feet better, that worked for me.

JerseyDrew77

JerseyDrew77

Awards
Try warming up your legs with the bike or eliptical before you run. Also, make sure you stretch a lot before running. I would lower the weight training on your legs and run only 3 days a week. But change up your runs by adding in sprints. Sprinting is what really gets your run time up/faster.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Calves tightening is a sign of poor footwear. What are you running in? Something like Nike Shox or those silly rebok sneakers are terrible. Get something with less heel drop like the new balance minimus or the sauconey kinvara.

Next, learn how to run. Do a google search for the Pose method of running. You will improve economy and reduce risk of injury.

Cut down the leg volume, especially quad dominant movements (such as leg extensions) and increase posterior movements that will improve function (such as glute bridges and swiss ball leg curls).

And look into a good dynamic warm up routine before running. Do a google search for dynamic track warm ups.

Next, we can talk about different training methods to improve your ability run 2 miles, such as lactate and VO2 intervals, form running, hills for economy, etc.

Br

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Don't train your legs to failure. Train them moderately. Never heavy. When you start feeling some fatigue end the set. You might feel like you've done nothing but your still activating muscle. That's the key. If you do it right you won't be sore the next day and legs should be good. Keep flexible too!