Bicep Strength Won't Increase

dinosaur

Awards
Hey all, first post here on AM but been an active bbing forum participant for years.

One of the biggest problems with my workout is that my Bicep strength is very poor and never really increases. I don't have this problem with any other muscles, but it's always been a problem with my biceps.

I've done every curl you can think of and varied my reps between 6-12, usually for 3-4 sets. Sometimes I've done multiple exercises, sometimes just focused on one.

What have I not tried here, other than curling 10lbs for 100 reps? Anyone else have and/or solved this problem?

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How much weight do you really need to curl to get big arms?? I mean we're not talking about the Bench Press, you don't need to curl 200 pounds to get big arms. IMO.

dinosaur

Awards
Try 30-35 lbs. No bull****. Without getting into all of my other lifts let me just say... that's some sad numbers there.

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
30-35lbs isn't bad at all. I started out lower than that, being that I never lifted in my life up until 2 years ago. I simply focused on form. This allowed me to move up in weight gradually, and I eventually saw substantial strength increases over a period of 6 months.

jason1000

jason1000

Awards
  • Established
Add cheat curls to your workout for a while. Also, train your forearms hard.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
develop your back and get ur back stronger and ur biceps will get stronger. change up ur reps, do supersets, never do the same workout twice in a row for muscle confusion.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You can try changing your routine every 2 weeks or so from heavy low volume to lighter high volume... 3-4 sets in the 5, 3, 1 rep range so you can lift heavier and 3-4 sets in the 12-15 rep range, then occasionally in between too. The idea is Can add cheat curls (where you use your body to swing momentum to get the heavier weight up. Also, some lifts should be slow n methodical w/ concentrated effort.

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Start focusing on pull ups and chin ups.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
this is what i do in all my workouts

week 1 - reps 3 to 6

week 2 - reps 8 to 12

week 3 - reps 10 to 15 (with lots of supersets)

zendog

Awards
I just switched from a 5x5 routine and have noticed a good amount of strenght and size in my bi's. I think the heavy deadlifts and barbell rows really helped me to start gaining again on my bis.

dinosaur

Awards
Good point about the back. My back workout has been lacking because I've been stuck at home with dumbbells, but I'm starting a job Monday with a full gym in the building so I can return to a good back routine.

sarguy

Awards
  • Established
I used to have similar problems until I ditched direct arm work in favor of things like chin ups, pullups, kettlebell exercises, and other multi-joint stuff. My arm size has come along quite nicely, even to the point that my wife has noticed and mentioned it (which takes a lot).

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
My arms are my weak point also don't feel bad about the 30-35lb (same here) I have noticed that by doing pull-ups more and not cheating as much that what was very hard for x-reps is getting better.I work them and my back 2x aweek also and kickbox which seems to be helping too.Like last week was my first week back lifting (i overtrained)i was doing 25-30lbs dumbell and 60lb barbell curls for reps and already this week im at 35-40lb and 75lb as for me i can live with this from week to week!I always start with my back work too.

oli

oli

Awards
  • Established
some curl and/or neutral grip chin-ups & focusing more on back work. i think hang cleans and shrugs brought my arms as well

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
Heavy deadlifts, weighted pull-ups, heavy rows.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Kanaka pretty much summed that up for ya man. Kill it on those back workouts and your biceps will be jacked as a result. I hardly even do biceps workouts anymore and they're still getting stronger/bigger, I just really on the squeeze on my contractions with rows/pullups and what not and then I run the rack with hammer curls for a nice pump at the end.

Could also be that your shoulders are a lot stronger than your biceps and are stealing some of the work load. Could focus more on form perhaps with some seated bar curls or lying cable curls. I've never found a good bicep workout that skyrockets my bicep strength though honestly. I've been curlin 55's for as long as I can remember.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey all, first post here on AM but been an active bbing forum participant for years.

One of the biggest problems with my workout is that my Bicep strength is very poor and never really increases. I don't have this problem with any other muscles, but it's always been a problem with my biceps.

I've done every curl you can think of and varied my reps between 6-12, usually for 3-4 sets. Sometimes I've done multiple exercises, sometimes just focused on one.

What have I not tried here, other than curling 10lbs for 100 reps? Anyone else have and/or solved this problem?
Is it just the strength you are concerned with? or size, or both? For strength alone you are definitely going about it the wrong way. you should be doing sets to failure at 3-5 reps, and be doing 5 sets that way for your exercises. I'd go with ez bar curls, then hammer curls, then pinwheel curls personally.

specmike

specmike

Awards
  • Established
The single best bicep exercise I have ever done is the Scott or Preacher curls with negatives. You'll need a spotter. Use a weight that puts you at 100% failure by the 7th or 8th rep. Then have your spotter lift it and do 5-7 negatives.