Would like some ab help

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
I would like to train my abs on tue and thur morning and would really like some help with a routine.I've done about everything don't get me wrong my abs are fairly tight but whats going on is it seems like my lower abs stick out alot.Im about 11%bf but that is besides the point.I kickbox mon,tue,fri for 30-35 min very intense 85%plus h/r and sat for 1.5hr i also lift 5days mon-fri.So a routine that would help with this is what im looking for no gym doing this at home i have a cable machine and a smith to help.I've been doing 4-5sets of weighted crunchs at 60-70lb for 15-20reps hanging leg raises,b/btwist,ab roller ect. i usally do 4-5exercises of 15-20reps.Also should i do an ab w/o fasted or take some bcaa's?Because i do this first thing in morning(i do wait about 45-60min to wake up and get some blood flowing)

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would like to train my abs on tue and thur morning and would really like some help with a routine.I've done about everything don't get me wrong my abs are fairly tight but whats going on is it seems like my lower abs stick out alot.Im about 11%bf but that is besides the point.I kickbox mon,tue,fri for 30-35 min very intense 85%plus h/r and sat for 1.5hr i also lift 5days mon-fri.So a routine that would help with this is what im looking for no gym doing this at home i have a cable machine and a smith to help.I've been doing 4-5sets of weighted crunchs at 60-70lb for 15-20reps hanging leg raises,b/btwist,ab roller ect. i usally do 4-5exercises of 15-20reps.Also should i do an ab w/o fasted or take some bcaa's?Because i do this first thing in morning(i do wait about 45-60min to wake up and get some blood flowing)
What you've been doing sounds fine. Maybe decrease the volume though and try doing ~100 reps per session only.

Whether you do it fasted or not is up to you.

~Rosie~

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
Thanks once again Rosie!Its hard to tell whats really working because the kickboxing seems to be doing the major part of it.I was first doing 5sets of 20 weighted crunchs with 4sets of 10-15ab roller 5sets of 20 reverse crunchs 5sets of 40 side-twist with a b/b and 3/45sec stomach vacs. it just took forever!

MongoSS

MongoSS

Awards
If you are trying to strengthen your abs your reps are too high and with too little resistance. If you are trying for definition that comes down to diet and bodyfat levels. For strength though try:
Heavy wtd sit ups 4-5x8-10 pref. decline if you have access
Landmines 3-4x10-12
Standing cable crunches 3-4x8
jump stetch band crunches dynamic 3x12

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
At 11% bf i got away to go to see them im wanting strengh.As far as what you recommened i was planning on doing the weighted decline sit ups tomorrow with a twist at the top.So you also recommened standing crunchs rather then kneeling?Don't have any idea what the landmines and jumpbands are.(i'll try to find them somewhere)unless you can explain.I'm not totally retarded so i'll get the point with little info.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Get a large beat up tire and a sledge hammer. Go to town.

Br

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
I tried wood choppers awhile back.Might not of did them right but didn't really feel anything.Im thinking of doing this tomorrow morning before breakfast doing about 25min of cardio to warm up and doing 4sets to failure of planks(touching my arm and knee holding for 5sec)weighted leg raises into knee raises,ab roller,standing weighted crunchs,and decline weighted sit-ups with a twist or that land mine thing heck mybe both!Im thinking with weighted ones i should be able to do around 12-15 is too much and am i hitting everything??

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Make sure you balance all that hip and trunk flexion out with trunk extension and hip extension (glute) work, otherwise you are going to create (or further) muscular imablances and actually weaken the abs (due to OA hip flexors and anterior pelvic tilt). There's a decent amount of research our there showing that excessive abdominal-trunk flexion and hip flexion work decreases weight lifting and athletic performance.

Br

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
Make sure you balance all that hip and trunk flexion out with trunk extension and hip extension (glute) work, otherwise you are going to create (or further) muscular imablances and actually weaken the abs (due to OA hip flexors and anterior pelvic tilt). There's a decent amount of research our there showing that excessive abdominal-trunk flexion and hip flexion work decreases weight lifting and athletic performance.

Br
So balance the twists with the straight crunchs?Don't want to damage my training in anyway.I thank you too for helping me with this.