Critique my Routine?

getbig89

Awards
This is very rough, and I know it needs work. My overall goal is size, not strength. Specifically I need to work on biceps(they are lagging behind badly, arms are only 16.6, and tricep is making up a huge amount, more than it should) chest width, back (more width, than thickness, but both). I'll be running Halotest-25 50/50/75/75/75/100 while doing this.

Mon-back & traps
4x10-15 Pullups
4x10-15 Lat Pulldown Hammer Strength Machine
3x8 Deadlift
3x10 one armed DB rows
4x10-15 seated cable rows
4x10-15 shrugs

Tues-Chest
4x10-15 flat bench
4x10-15 incline db press
4x10-15 dips
4x10-15 cable flies

Wed-legs
4x10 Hacksquats
4x10 leg press
4x10 leg curls
4x10 calf raises

Thr-Bi’s & Tri’s
Skullcrushers- 4x12 10 8 6
Closegrips- 4x12 10 8 6
Standing BB curls 4x12 10 8 6
Hammer Curls 4x12 10 8 6
Preacher Curls 4x12 10 8 6

Fri Shldrs
4x10-15 seated Military Press do 4 sets, 8-16 reps
4x10-15 side laterals
4x10-15 rear delts
4x10-15 upright rows

A few notes:
Might lower volume on arms depending on how they respond.
Going to alternate deadlifts every other week, I need a replacement exercise
The leg workout looks weak, I know, but my legs have always responded extremely well to lower volume (they are 30inches atm).
I also might move legs day to shoulders day if I need that Wednesday off.

I appreciate the help.

JerseyDrew77

JerseyDrew77

Awards
I would switch your arms day with your shoulders day. That way your shoulder press won't suffer from an exhausted tricep.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Just a couple of things to mull over:

For deadlifts, I'd go even heavier than you're suggesting. It's such a great mass packing exercise, why waste it doing light weight for reps?

And modifying what first reply said, I would maybe rotate out hack squats and leg presses with other movements, or at least have them on hand and know you have them at your disposal if/when you burn out on doing those other 2 movements. I personally wouldn't have 2 machine leg movements unless you're experienced enough to know you're using the right range of motion every time.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I would switch your arms day with your shoulders day. That way your shoulder press won't suffer from an exhausted tricep.
Yeah, I've ran a split like the poster has before and found that my tricep felt real weak on my shoulder presses. However, and maybe it was me, when I switched the two I didn't really find any difference. This was when I was training with heavy weight/low rep range, though, and maybe it might make a difference with higher volume.

getbig89

Awards
Okay, yeah I can definitely go heavier with the deadlifts, I actually prefer to. And I'll have to experiment with the shoulders triceps day, because I've done something similar, not with this much volume , and it never affected me. As far as other leg exercises, I'll just have to experiment, because like I said I'm not that interested in getting them bigger than they are. My main concern with this workout was number one biceps, and then chest width, and back width/thickness.

ALso, any suggestions on how long I should wait in between my sets?

Thanks for the help

getbig89

Awards
Yeah, I've ran a split like the poster has before and found that my tricep felt real weak on my shoulder presses. However, and maybe it was me, when I switched the two I didn't really find any difference. This was when I was training with heavy weight/low rep range, though, and maybe it might make a difference with higher volume.
The split was set up like that so that I can do back early in the week, and than biceps later in the week, so the biceps have time to recover from back workout day, before I hit them hard on arms day

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
-MVP- Training Forum 5
-MVP- Training Forum 8
P.brow17 Training Forum 4
Workout Logs 0
Training Forum 8