Just picked up great book on HIT, makes a ton of sense!!

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  237 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.56%

Just picked up great book on HIT, makes a ton of sense!!

I just bought a book called "The new high intensity training" by Ellington Darden PHD, what a good book this is. I have dabbled into DC and Dorian Yates style training here and there in the past, but this is my 1st real go at a consistent HIT program that is only 1 set per muscle group to true failure. Looking at the routine I did not expect it to be as rough as it is, but taking that one set to true failure for each muscle group in a full body workout is brutal!! But I can see where I would gain very fast from this type of training. I'm only going to be in the gym 5x every 14 days. Today was only my second full body workout and I went up on everything, some lifts by 20 lbs for the same # of reps as 3 days ago!!! Here was what I did today, I hope this progress keeps up!!

leg extensions- 150 lbs x 19 reps / 3 days ago did 135 lbsx 21 reps

leg curls- 150 lbs x 13 reps / 3 days ago I only got 125 lbs x 12 reps

squats- 335 lbs x 20 reps / 3 days ago only 315 x 20 reps

bent over underhand barbell row- 155 lbs x 21 reps/ 3 days ago only 135 lbs x 21 reps

single arm dumbbell tri extensions- 35 lb db x 13 reps/arm - 35 lb x 12 reps/arm last workout

seated calve press- 6 plates/side x 18 reps - last workout only 5 plates/side x 20 reps

simultaneous db curls (curl both arms at same time) 45 lb/side x 12 reps- only 40 lb/side x 12 reps 3 days ago!!

incline bench press- 250 lbs x 11 reps/ 3 days ago did 275 lbs but only 7 reps, so lowered weight to try and get to 12 reps today

All in all good workout, also want to mention every set is about 4-5 seconds negative and 4-5 seconds positive also. So much time under tension. This is my first time doing a full body routine HIT fashion, I think its just what I needed to. Anybody else ever read up on this stuff, or anything about Arthur Jones? What has been ur experience with it?

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.63%

I have read the same book you have by ellington darden and I thought the same thing you did, that it made a lot of sense. In fact I did experience some good gains at first and I loved the intense workouts. There is definitely some benefit to training this way but after doing it for a long time my gains slowed down and then I did as recommended and trained less and less until I was at the once week thing. At that point I just got fat and no new gains. In my opinion, its something to cycle in your yearly training program. I usually return to HIT for 6-8 weeks at the beginning of winter. I think you will find a lot of people with the same opinion here, that HIT is good as "one more tool in your bag." As for Aurthur Jones and his theories on gorillas being mostly vegetarian and that athletes looking to gain muscle should therefore follow a high carbohydrate diet... I don't think it is good information unless your carbs are coming 90% from fruits and vegetables, like an actual gorilla's carbs would. Gorillas don't eat spaghetti all that often as far as I know. Also why this is a great observation on his point, the simple fact of different genetics means that the growth a gorilla experiences on this diet won't translate to humans. He then provides male lions as an example of why one should only train once a week. He states something along the lines of how male lions only make the final intense kill and never do the roaming and stalking that females do and thus the male lions are huge and powerful. He uses the same example for a foreman on a construction team. A couple contradictions arise in these theories. One is, lions eat a diet primarily of meat, this is a direct contradiction to his gorilla diet theory. And second is that human psychology may dictate the fact that the more powerful aggressive male on a construction crew advances to the foreman position based on his inclination to take charge. In this situation the CAUSE of his being foreman is his physical size which often goes hand in hand with his demeanor (as a result of higher T levels for instance), has the EFFECT of him being promoted to foreman. Aurthur Jones would argue that the CAUSE of his physical size and demeanor are and EFFECT of him being foreman. AS you can see, its hard to prove either way.

Personally after trying high carb (a la Arthur Jones), high protein fad diets i have found the best solution to be this simple formula each meal consists of 1 serv. fruit + 1 serv. veggie + 20-30 grams of protein. Eat as many meals a day as it takes you to reach 1 gram protein per pound of body weight. So while this is high protein by US gov standards, it is not excessive on protein and vacant of carbohydrates. It turns out to be fairly balanced.

None the less, very interesting read and a great way to switch up your training! I have a collection of books on HIT, and Aurthur Jones and would be happy to share the titles with you once I refresh my memory on them as I don't have them with me now.
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.3%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by swan1209 View Post
    I have read the same book you have by ellington darden and I thought the same thing you did, that it made a lot of sense. In fact I did experience some good gains at first and I loved the intense workouts. There is definitely some benefit to training this way but after doing it for a long time my gains slowed down and then I did as recommended and trained less and less until I was at the once week thing. At that point I just got fat and no new gains. In my opinion, its something to cycle in your yearly training program. I usually return to HIT for 6-8 weeks at the beginning of winter. I think you will find a lot of people with the same opinion here, that HIT is good as "one more tool in your bag." As for Aurthur Jones and his theories on gorillas being mostly vegetarian and that athletes looking to gain muscle should therefore follow a high carbohydrate diet... I don't think it is good information unless your carbs are coming 90% from fruits and vegetables, like an actual gorilla's carbs would. Gorillas don't eat spaghetti all that often as far as I know. Also why this is a great observation on his point, the simple fact of different genetics means that the growth a gorilla experiences on this diet won't translate to humans. He then provides male lions as an example of why one should only train once a week. He states something along the lines of how male lions only make the final intense kill and never do the roaming and stalking that females do and thus the male lions are huge and powerful. He uses the same example for a foreman on a construction team. A couple contradictions arise in these theories. One is, lions eat a diet primarily of meat, this is a direct contradiction to his gorilla diet theory. And second is that human psychology may dictate the fact that the more powerful aggressive male on a construction crew advances to the foreman position based on his inclination to take charge. In this situation the CAUSE of his being foreman is his physical size which often goes hand in hand with his demeanor (as a result of higher T levels for instance), has the EFFECT of him being promoted to foreman. Aurthur Jones would argue that the CAUSE of his physical size and demeanor are and EFFECT of him being foreman. AS you can see, its hard to prove either way.

Personally after trying high carb (a la Arthur Jones), high protein fad diets i have found the best solution to be this simple formula each meal consists of 1 serv. fruit + 1 serv. veggie + 20-30 grams of protein. Eat as many meals a day as it takes you to reach 1 gram protein per pound of body weight. So while this is high protein by US gov standards, it is not excessive on protein and vacant of carbohydrates. It turns out to be fairly balanced.

None the less, very interesting read and a great way to switch up your training! I have a collection of books on HIT, and Aurthur Jones and would be happy to share the titles with you once I refresh my memory on them as I don't have them with me now.

This is a good point. Training one way for too long will begin to negate effectiveness. Variance is key as your muscles will adapt. Switching from training for muscle strength to muscle endurance and back etc is pretty key IMO.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
    •   

4. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.98%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    This is a good point. Training one way for too long will begin to negate effectiveness. Variance is key as your muscles will adapt. Switching from training for muscle strength to muscle endurance and back etc is pretty key IMO.
    Conjugate training rocks!

If your unfamiliar with what it is..

Most programs are based on linear progression where you train a couple of cycles of strength than hypotrophy than fat loss and repeat. It's usually a couple months of each and the order can vary.

The problem with this is by the time to get back to strength you loose a lot of it since you haven't trained it in so long. By devoting so much time to one area at a time you loose out on the others.

Conjugate training states that you train all at one! Basically rotate them through the week or month. WS4SB is a great example of this system of training
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.63%

Agreed, there are a lot of programs like this that people seem to be having success with. One that I plan on trying is the Power/ Rep Range/ Shock or "P/RR/S" training. I know of other programs that recommend hitting it all in the same workout: after warmups, do I set each of 2-5 reps, 7-10 reps, and 12-20 reps. I also believe that there is science to back all those rep ranges up. Higher reps give you slow twitch muscle activation, greater mitochondrial activity or replication or something like that, and a nice pump. Lower reps give you nervous system stimulation for increased myofibril recruitment. Both = thicker muscles. SO might as well cycle both. However, according to most sources, fast twitch muscles have more potential for growth and there for low rep, explosive lifting that stimulates these muscles is recommended for a larger portion of your training.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.63%

a common example is a sprinter vs an endurance runners legs. sprinters generally have larger legs most likely due to there explosive training style
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  237 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.56%

just thought to update this thread, I'm only 5 workouts into this program and I'm growing like a frikken weed!!! I've never gained size so fast before. First off, you would think training only 5x every 14 days would cause you to pick up bodyfat, but to my surprise not really. And my calories are probably an average of 3,000-3,500/day, I just dont need to eat so much only training once every few days. The routine is not the most exciting thing in the world, but the results are. I cannot quit doing this routine, I'm just gaining size and definition too fast on it. I'm only 2 wks into it and I can already see it. Guys, seriously if you've never trained like this give it a try. If someone had suggested full body workouts and told me to train only 5x every 2 wks I would have told them they were full of **** before reading this book and trying it for myself. This **** works, at least for now anyways
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  211 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.58%

thats awesome that you found a program that works well for YOU. keep it up as long as you make progress. i think progression is the key. i did a HIT type program for years and liked it alot as i noticed that alot of volume killed my body and i wouldnt recover fully. i used to tell people an example to sort of explain the HIT system and its like this..... imagine you want to knock someone out.. would you rather hit them 3 times in the face to knock them out or just 1 time??? 1 time right??? exacly, with 3 punches, you're still getting the job done BUT you're tearing up your hand and wasting more energy but the same exact goal is met. if you can knock them out in 1 punch and get the job done, its pointless to hit them again. neat huh? i thought of that all on my own and ive been pretty proud of myself ever since. =-]

seriously though, keep up the good work ill be following this thread. currently ive been using a 5X5 strength program modifed a little with 5/3/1 and modified it to fit me and my body. lately i actually looked back at my training log from years ago when i was doing a HIT type program and i noticed iw asnt really making any progression. id do 65lb dumbells for inclines 3 months apart. in 3 months i should of gone up in weight.

since then ive learned that progression should be the goal. adding weight/reps. if you cant add say 5 lbs on the dumbbells which may be hard since its a big jump for dumbells, even 1 more rep is progression. its small compared to 5 lbs with the same reps, but its progression nontheless and thats how you get bigger and stronger by adding more and more..

good luck and keep us posted on your results and progress!!
    deadlift or DONT lift
  9. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  117 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.52%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by CoorsLight126 View Post
    just thought to update this thread, I'm only 5 workouts into this program and I'm growing like a frikken weed!!! I've never gained size so fast before. First off, you would think training only 5x every 14 days would cause you to pick up bodyfat, but to my surprise not really. And my calories are probably an average of 3,000-3,500/day, I just dont need to eat so much only training once every few days. The routine is not the most exciting thing in the world, but the results are. I cannot quit doing this routine, I'm just gaining size and definition too fast on it. I'm only 2 wks into it and I can already see it. Guys, seriously if you've never trained like this give it a try. If someone had suggested full body workouts and told me to train only 5x every 2 wks I would have told them they were full of **** before reading this book and trying it for myself. This **** works, at least for now anyways
    That's great for you. I'm not surprised though - training less does not mean progress will be any less, and in many cases less IS more re results. I've done the resistance training only three times a week - a 20, 25, and 40-minute session - and saw my greatest muscle growth in that time. And even now, the last week I cut my training back to about half what it was each of the two weeks prior and lost MORE bodyfat in this one week (-1%) than in those two combined (-0.4%), all the whilst eating at HIGHER than Maintenance every other day this week! You DO have to listen to your body though, and my training is never the same week-to-week for that very reason - it's learning from the week before and adjusting your training (and nutrition) to keep making progress and get the results you want.

~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.63%

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    thats awesome that you found a program that works well for YOU. keep it up as long as you make progress. i think progression is the key. i did a HIT type program for years and liked it alot as i noticed that alot of volume killed my body and i wouldnt recover fully. i used to tell people an example to sort of explain the HIT system and its like this..... imagine you want to knock someone out.. would you rather hit them 3 times in the face to knock them out or just 1 time??? 1 time right??? exacly, with 3 punches, you're still getting the job done BUT you're tearing up your hand and wasting more energy but the same exact goal is met. if you can knock them out in 1 punch and get the job done, its pointless to hit them again. neat huh? i thought of that all on my own and ive been pretty proud of myself ever since. =-]

seriously though, keep up the good work ill be following this thread. currently ive been using a 5X5 strength program modifed a little with 5/3/1 and modified it to fit me and my body. lately i actually looked back at my training log from years ago when i was doing a HIT type program and i noticed iw asnt really making any progression. id do 65lb dumbells for inclines 3 months apart. in 3 months i should of gone up in weight.

since then ive learned that progression should be the goal. adding weight/reps. if you cant add say 5 lbs on the dumbbells which may be hard since its a big jump for dumbells, even 1 more rep is progression. its small compared to 5 lbs with the same reps, but its progression nontheless and thats how you get bigger and stronger by adding more and more..

good luck and keep us posted on your results and progress!!
    Progression in good form is truly the bottom line, whether it takes HIT, HVT, DoggCrapp, ect, doesn't matter. The HIT is especially good for people who are severely overtrained tho.
  11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.37%

I've been on a HIT routine for about 2months and now I've quit gaining. I grew like crazy at first though. It's an awesome way to train I've got to say.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  237 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.56%

workout #6 was today, my squat was 415 lbs x 13 reps ass to the floor, not too bad from my first workout of 315 lbs x 20 reps, I will be at 405 x 20 reps soon enough. Incline bench press was 265 x 13 reps, 4 second negatives. Bent over rows are at 225 x 15 reps (underhand grip, no wrist straps) I think taking each set to true muscle failure is keeping my heart rate higher throughout the workout which is part of whats keeping me leaner during all of this. Of course the gear helps too, which is 600 mg/wk tren enanthate, 600 mg/wk test blend, and I switched to a liquid Dbol and I'm up to 75 mg on workout days only now. Loving the gains, but kind of looking forward to ending this cycle and cruising on just low dose GH and test, this has been a lot on my body and a lot emotionally. But I have to move forward for now
  13. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.09%

I have the same book and I've started working in some of the principles, though not using it exclusively. I've also cut down my strength training frequency a little bit and I only train full body now, which I enjoy. I'm probably still training too frequently, considering how much cardio/conditioning I do to make significant gains though. I'd love to take full advantage, but I need the conditioning work for the next few months.
  14. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  270 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.91%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Just picked this book up. Today was day 2 of the training. I must say, Its crazy how great I feel after workout, next day especially. Im used to being so sore that it makes certain task rather difficult. But just the mild DOMS which I love(meaning I had a good workout).
    Pretty Intense. Going to try the 24 week suggested routine's. Then stop and re-evaluate my progress and training.

RECOVERBRO

Similar Forum Threads

1. Great book read!
    By daveydoodle in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-30-2009, 04:11 PM
  2. Nothing about HcG Makes Any Sense to Me
    By Sub7 in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 05-12-2007, 03:30 PM
  3. Ok, see if this makes sense.
    By RRAdam in forum Anabolics