Traps - DB shrugs - correct form?

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Should you giraffe-neck while doing these? I must
be doing something wrong here......HELP

I have very decent traps - WHEN FLEXED ONLY.

I do NOT have the type of traps that when unflexed you see this nice attachment and transition/slope look from the from the top of the neck to the shoulders.

Instead, when I flex my traps, I have these softballs where my traps are and they are vey decent!

So - Am I perhaps doing shrugs incorrecly? I need to get the SLOPE look when relaxed.

YES, I attempt to elevate so as to "hit my delts to my ears" when doig these.

Sorry for the crappy explanation.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
To be honest, a video would be the easiest way to tell and give you a clear answer.

All I can add is that when I do them, I hold them at my sides, slightly further back (very slightly) and I pull up and backward as far as I can and flex at the top and hold it.

My gym also only goes up to 95-pound dumbbells, though (the 100's are there, but the rubber coating is off of them and they feel lighter than the 95's, yet some people still use them...different story, though), so I tend to get most of my trap work done in the cage or on the Smith machine.

I actually like doing solo shrugs on the Smith, if you're looking for something different. Stand with the bar parallel to your side and lift up and back with one hand; this is a way you can stack more weight on (unless you're lucky enough to have heavier dumbbells).

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you want big traps, do more cleans and deads.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
For some its genetics that create that look. Its just like some having "short" biceps.

Also try giving behind-the-back BB shrugs a shot. They stimulated some new growth, for me.

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
If you want big traps, do more cleans and deads.
^^^ Yes, then follow with shrugs. I've got a good set of traps and I attribute it to all my years of powerlifting, specifically from deadlifting.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
thanks peeps

specmike

specmike

Awards
  • Established
Watch your traps while you work out also, during all shoulder exercises. I actually get a good trap pump, especially at the bottom closer to the deltoid, when doing shoulder presses in the front. I can't military style press in the back due to a neck injury so I press from the side with dumbells and do front loaded presses with an easy curl bar.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You probably aren't using proper shrug technique. This video will outline everything you need to learn world record shrug technique. Watch and learn kiddies, watch and learn.

YouTube - Dr. Arnold Nerenberg's World Record 470 lbs Trap Power Shrug

I think that deserves a big :wtf:
That was horrible.

I didn't realize your :wtf: underneath it til after I'd watched it and came back.

I was about to go off because that was awful lol. That, and I was going to inquire if that was in fact some kind of record because I've been repping out 430 on the Smith and not counting the weight of the bar.

Oh, well :)

specmike

specmike

Awards
  • Established
Mebbe it's a class thing. Like, new WR for guys under 185lbs AND over 65yrs old???

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Rocket3015 Training Forum 66
Rocket3015 Training Forum 42
Rocket3015 Training Forum 27
Training Forum 12
Beefeater71 Workout Logs 11