Help with getting bigger biceps and getting bench up

cg123

Awards
Hi I have big biceps but I feel I have hit a peak and need some suggestions to get them bigger. Also I have been struggling a little on the bench because I haven't been benching much but I need some tips on how to improve it as soon as I can. Thanks

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Make your back (lats, upper and middle traps) bigger. Show me a dude with a wide, thick back and you'll see a guy with a big bench and big biceps.

JerseyDrew77

JerseyDrew77

Awards
List what exercises you are doing for both and then we can go from there.

cg123

Awards
Barbell curls. Dumbell curls. Concentration curls. Hammer curls. Sometimes pull ups

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Make your back (lats, upper and middle traps) bigger. Show me a dude with a wide, thick back and you'll see a guy with a big bench and big biceps.
^^ Agreed.

I'd even suggest not to do more than 1 direct biceps movement per week until you can perform strict bent over barbell rows 110% of your bodyweight for 10 and chin ups with an additional 15% of your body weight for 10.

And don't forget the endocrine response from deadlifts and squats.

Br

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
First of all I doubt your biceps are very big at 160 lbs being 6ft 1....

You just need to gain weight overall and focus, again like the previous have said focus less on direct biceps and on the heavy Rows and Chins.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Make sure you have a balanced routine. I am not saying you don't. But when I hear people asking advice about bench and bi"s It makes me think of the dudes at the gym in polos trying to get a pump before the bar.

Remember your limited by your weakest muscle. People don't believe me when I tell them squats and cleans made my bench much bigger.

specmike

specmike

Awards
  • Established
Bench press with the logging chain trick too. Start VERY light and you'll need spotter.

cg123

Awards

You just need to gain weight overall and focus, again like the previous have said focus less on direct biceps and on the heavy Rows and Chins.
Actually for a 16 year old with 18 inch arms I would say that's pretty good. That wasn't the question I asked. I asked for advice on improving bench and bicep size because I feel like I've hit a dead end in mass increase for arms

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Actually for a 16 year old with 18 inch arms I would say that's pretty good. That wasn't the question I asked. I asked for advice on improving bench and bicep size because I feel like I've hit a dead end in mass increase for arms
If you're not willing to at least listen to advice, then why do you waste our time by asking? You need to focus on overall size and develop your back for both big biceps and a big bench. If that doesn't fit what you want to hear, then ask somewhere else.

cg123

Awards
If you're not willing to at least listen to advice, then why do you waste our time by asking? You need to focus on overall size and develop your back for both big biceps and a big bench. If that doesn't fit what you want to hear, then ask somewhere else.
I am listening to advice. He just didn't answer the question

morry

morry

Awards
  • Established
160lbs, 6'1", 18 in arms? Really? U already have HUGE arms for u size.
I got 40lbs on u and my arms aren't that big. Sounds like u do need to develop other muscle groups bc face it, ur kind of small :) but....u got huge arms apparently.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

His advice perfectly answers your question. Heavy rows and chins stimulate bicep growth and help to stabilize the weight for a bench press. Just because it isn't something you read in a FLEX magazine doesn't denounce isn't validity. Like I said, heavy back work is what you need for both a big bench and big arms.

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
I would LOVE to see a picture of those 18in Bi's on that rail thin frame...I have over 60 lbs on you and my arms are the same size and don't look small by any means...

Nevertheless, my advice still stands...

JerseyDrew77

JerseyDrew77

Awards
18 in. arms on a frame of 6'1", 165 lbs? I find that hard to believe and bs. I need to see a picture of this with a measuring tape involved.

cg123

Awards
18 in. arms on a frame of 6'1", 165 lbs? I find that hard to believe and bs. I need to see a picture of this with a measuring tape involved.
Don't get too excited big guy ha. It's real. I have been working out for a while and i have no reason to lie on a fourm to people I don't even know and don't need to impress for any reason

specmike

specmike

Awards
  • Established
At 6'1" and only 165lbs and with 18'' arms, I think it's very likely that you either measured wrong, or measured while flexing. If you really have 18" arms at that weight, I would imagine that your upper arms are about as big as your legs. It's simple math man.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
this thread made me laugh.

take the advice that has been given. i would reply to your question, but id be saying what these guys are saying...except for one thing they are missing...

DIET. if you arent eating, u arent gonna grow and get stronger. my 16 year old cousin is your height but weighs 230 and his arms arent near 18". maybe u measured your chest or legs...i dunno.

cg123

Awards
this thread made me laugh.

take the advice that has been given. i would reply to your question, but id be saying what these guys are saying...except for one thing they are missing...

DIET. if you arent eating, u arent gonna grow and get stronger. my 16 year old cousin is your height but weighs 230 and his arms arent near 18". maybe u measured your chest or legs...i dunno.
Na that's my arms dude. I have been lifting for a while and can curl quite a bit

specmike

specmike

Awards
  • Established
I'm gonna have to call BS on 18" arms at 6'1", 165. I've been wrong before but I have spent a lil time in the gym myself.

HeavyReps17

Awards
I'm going to agree wit specmike on this one, there is no way that you have 18 inch arms. You said you've been working out for "a while" now your only 16 man haha your body has barley started to grow. Bodybuilding takes years to just get the basics and fundamentals in order concentrate on that and you'll be fine. Lot's of solid advice from the rest of the comments though.
18 inch arms hahahahahahaha

cg123

Awards
I'm going to agree wit specmike on this one, there is no way that you have 18 inch arms. You said you've been working out for "a while" now your only 16 man haha your body has barley started to grow. Bodybuilding takes years to just get the basics and fundamentals in order concentrate on that and you'll be fine. Lot's of solid advice from the rest of the comments though.
18 inch arms hahahahahahaha
Hahaha. Ok buddy I don't really give a **** what u think but I have no reason to lie to random people online. What u think I'm trying to impress people on a fourm that I don't know? Haha that's the funny thing. And yes I do squat about 300 pounds for the person wondering

specmike

specmike

Awards
  • Established
There's a difference between lying and simply making a mistake.....such as measuring your arms wrong. Unless you are some sort of genetic freak or you are Gregg Valentino Jr. you simply do not have the body mass at 6'1" to have 18" arms. You brought it up, not the people here at AM. So, my BS call stands regardless if it's a mistake or if you are outright lying.

rankbull

rankbull

Awards
  • Established
Blah blah blah blah...

Try some underhand bent-over barbell rows. Tommy likeyyyy.

Also, a lot of younger guys don't realize how much dips hits the lower chest (or at least I didn't). Incorporate lots of dips into your routine and try to keep your feet behind you or have a spotter pull them behind you to isolate your chest further.