Can you gain neck mass?

Jake Fires

Jake Fires

Awards
  • Established
how can i get a bigger neck? any workouts??

ThER6KinG

ThER6KinG

Awards
  • Established
Shrugs, deadlifts, neck bridges ( not good for your neck but does thicken it.

specmike

specmike

Awards
  • Established
I actually get a bit of neck pump from dumbell shoulder presses too. Also, if you have no existing neck issues resistance band work with your head or a weighted helmet like football players train with can be helpful.

Train your neck smart and at your own risk, it's the only spine you have.

ThER6KinG

ThER6KinG

Awards
  • Established
I actually get a bit of neck pump from dumbell shoulder presses too. Also, if you have no existing neck issues resistance band work with your head or a weighted helmet like football players train with can be helpful.

Train your neck smart and at your own risk, it's the only spine you have.
thats true I do get a bit of a pump from shoulder presses, and yea just be careful neck injuries can be career enders

specmike

specmike

Awards
  • Established
thats true I do get a bit of a pump from shoulder presses, and yea just be careful neck injuries can be career enders
YES THEY CAN. My avatar is my most recent neck X-ray. :lew:

Iron_Mutant

Iron_Mutant

Awards
do neck flexions and extensions...

flexions: put ur hands behind your head and press against it..then try to look up..the harder you press the more resistance you will have.

extensions: put your hands on your forehead and push against it..then look down..again, the harder you press the more resistance you will have.

another thing you can do is put your hands on the sides of your head and try to bend your head sideways...again, the more you press the greater the resistance.

if you do all of these exercises, you will hit all four parts of the neck.

enjoy :)

BigBen89

BigBen89

Awards
theres actually an excercise the Navy seals do to prepare their necks for carring rafts on their heads. It looks simple, but the next day your neck is seriously pumped. All you do is lay on the floor and simply lift your head, like you are looking at the wall. Do that for about 50 to 100 reps and you'll feel it.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Back in my football days we had a machine in the gym designed for the neck. Looking back - just the thought of pushing machien weight with your neck seems like a bad idea but it was better than getting my head ripped off. I dont know what to call it but in its most rudimentary for it was basic head movements pushing a pad connected to a pulley system of plates. I think they make a helmet that does something similar?

bakerderek0

bakerderek0

Awards
  • Established
Back in my football days we had a machine in the gym designed for the neck. Looking back - just the thought of pushing machien weight with your neck seems like a bad idea but it was better than getting my head ripped off. I dont know what to call it but in its most rudimentary for it was basic head movements pushing a pad connected to a pulley system of plates. I think they make a helmet that does something similar?
lol, we had a neck machine too. that thing was scketchy.

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
I use one of these at home but only up to 25lbs with high reps for safety reasons.

bakerderek0

bakerderek0

Awards
  • Established
what's the motion on that? just a nodding up and down?

Jake Fires

Jake Fires

Awards
  • Established
theres actually an excercise the Navy seals do to prepare their necks for carring rafts on their heads. It looks simple, but the next day your neck is seriously pumped. All you do is lay on the floor and simply lift your head, like you are looking at the wall. Do that for about 50 to 100 reps and you'll feel it.
do they lay prone and support their body with their fore head or lay supine and support ther body with the back of ther head..?

or do they do like "head sit ups?"

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
what's the motion on that? just a nodding up and down?
Yeah, just up/down. I stand as if I'm doing bent over rows and I'll do slow, controlled reps. After 20+ you'll feel your neck stiffen up like heck! Stretching before and after would be highly recommend too or else you'll have a really stiff neck the next day.