bigger rounder shoulders???

lemon

Awards
alright guys, i need some help

every other part of my body is growing in size and becoming more defined EXCEPT my shoulders...there just becoming more defined. Weights are going up but the size of my actual shoulders are staying the same??? What work outs do you guys recommend for getting the shoulders to grow in size and become more round and pronounced?

my current shoulder workout is:

shrugs: 3 sets of reps 10(warm up), 8, 8, 6
DB shoulder press or BB raises: 8, 8, 6
DB side raises: 8, 8, 6
DB front raises: 8, 8, 6

so 4 work outs, all with reps between 6-8
so what am i doing wrong guys?

bakerderek0

bakerderek0

Awards
  • Established
You should add in a rear deltoid lift. I don't care for shrugs either, that just seems to pump up my traps.

I like:
dumbell shoulder press
upright rows (although these work the hell out of your traps)
side raises
rear deltoid flys
front raises.

to stimulate growth, change up your routine reps/weight (muscle confusion)

so like week 1-3, do the routines with 3 sets of 6-8.

then weeks 4-6, do the routines with 3 sets of 10-12, but only drop the weight amount if you have to.

also, take 1-2 mins in between sets. I also do abs/legs in between excersises

deadlift18

Awards
What worked for me was starting with dumbell press. Also Arnold presses worked wonders. Sometimes i super setted one of those with front raises. Also start your chest routine with incline press, that'll help. As you might have noticed already is that i had the same problem before, NOT NO MORE THOUGH! hope it helps some.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
I think you need to go much higher on the reps with the different front/lateral/rear raises. Sets of 20 seems to work better. Save the lower rep stuff for the bigger compound moves and do the raises to really isolate the muscle with alot of volume.

nerdalert

Awards
I really like the arnold presses too. I have a similar problem as the op I can't really find the right formula for growth. I try to vary my workout and change from doing shoulders on chest day/back day.

jiberish

jiberish

Awards
DB presses are king but I got much better results when I go below parallel.

Some other ideas could be wide upright rows. This helped me build up the top of the middle delt.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
DB presses are king but I got much better results when I go below parallel.

Some other ideas could be wide upright rows. This helped me build up the top of the middle delt.
Wide uprights have certainly help give me width. I think I'm gonna start incline or lying lat raises to emphasize the lower portion of the middle delt.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think you need to go much higher on the reps with the different front/lateral/rear raises. Sets of 20 seems to work better. Save the lower rep stuff for the bigger compound moves and do the raises to really isolate the muscle with alot of volume.
What works more for me is the opposite, but more sets. I end up with 5-6 sets of bent over dumbbell flyes, starting with 35s for 10 and going up to 65s.

Every few workouts I'll go up to 70s, and while I started with 2-3 reps now I can go up to 6 reps if my mindset is right.

Also add in a machine military and just for got maximum weight pressed (since the stack is stabilized for you). I also finish up with a massive dropset of laterals, either with dumbbells or a machine.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
What works more for me is the opposite, but more sets. I end up with 5-6 sets of bent over dumbbell flyes, starting with 35s for 10 and going up to 65s.

Every few workouts I'll go up to 70s, and while I started with 2-3 reps now I can go up to 6 reps if my mindset is right.

Also add in a machine military and just for got maximum weight pressed (since the stack is stabilized for you). I also finish up with a massive dropset of laterals, either with dumbbells or a machine.
If you are advanced trainee, I think this can work well since you are likely able to maintain your technique with the heavier weights. Most less experienced lifters try to up the poundages too quickly on the laterals and get really sloppy. It also sounds like you get plenty of volume in along the way. So I'm sure this helps as well.