Optimum sets for growth?

mjdalegend

Awards
In my previous workout routine I was doing roughly 4 sets for most exercises,and in my new workout routine it says to do only to do 2 sets? I wanna know if i should up it to 5 sets, because from my experience the more sets for a specific body part = more growth (im a begginer so dont shoot me down) because i was only doing 2 sets for biceps and 7for shoulders, guess which grew the most?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Part of the difference will be what rep range you use, and what weight you use. Do you think you can lift heavier for 2 sets of 10 reps than you can for 7 sets of 10 reps? I know for sure I can. So you stimulate the muscle in different ways, higher volume isn't necessarily always better.

mjdalegend

Awards
Yes, but it still doesnt really answer the queston, thx anyway.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, if you are following a prebuilt routine, then follow the routine. If you are just going to make one up the way you want it, then make it up. Whoever put it together had a reason for only 2 sets.

Without knowing more of the way the workout is structured, frequency body parts are worked, number of reps, etc there isn't any way to tell whether 5 sets would be better or worse than 2.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In my previous workout routine I was doing roughly 4 sets for most exercises,and in my new workout routine it says to do only to do 2 sets? I wanna know if i should up it to 5 sets, because from my experience the more sets for a specific body part = more growth (im a begginer so dont shoot me down) because i was only doing 2 sets for biceps and 7for shoulders, guess which grew the most?
More is not always better, and the more sets per body-part does not always mean more growth. Your REP range and weight used, as well as your NUTRITION are going to determine growth - primarily nutrition, since you have to be eating for gains to get them. As Eric mentions, the training programme structure will also determine how many sets you would do. At the end of the day, you will get growth with two or five sets per exercise, dependent on the factors that matter for accretion (i.e. nutrition, reps, weight, etc.).

If you're a beginner and don't know what you're doing, then I suggest that you get yourself a trainer who does, who will create an individualized training programme specific to YOUR goals and AND needs.

~Rosie~

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
Good advice from Rosie there ...

Also - if you are a beginner - what I have found that has worked very well (anecdotally) for the "beginners" I have helped ...

Train each body part twice per week. One session will be "heavy" - with reps in the 6-8 range ... and the other will be "light" - with reps in the 12-15 range. Of course - they need to be accomplished to "failure".

If you do a HEAVY routine on one day for a body part - on the next day do a LIGHT routine for the next body part - that way you don't have two heavy days back to back.

Years ago - when I was a beginner - I only did 3 sets. I try to do 4 to 5 for each exercise these days depending on how I feel and how much time I have in the gym.

It's kind of old school and simple - but I really think this can work for new guys for a couple of years with slight modifications.

EDIT: Won't work for everyone I'm sure - you'll have to eventually learn your body and tweak your routine. There is no "recipe" for making gains. Well - maybe there is but it only consists of two ingredients - SWEAT put into the workouts and BRAINS to figure out what works for you.

I will tell you this though - Squats and Deads are the Holy Grail for everyone. I also think beginners should only do compound movements - no isolation stuff until the foundation is built. These are my opinions - and opinions are like *******s - everyone's got one! :p

mjdalegend

Awards
Thx people, well its a simple 2 day split and i dont feel like its enough.

Day one

A1. Bench press - 10-12 reps, tempo = 3 down, 1 up, 1 hold.
A2. Pushups - 10+ reps, tempo = 2 down 2 up.

30 sec rest, repeat. (only 2 sets)

B1. 45 degree prone dumbell rows - 10-12 reps, tempo = 2 up, one hold, 2 down.
B2. Assisted chin ups - 10+ Reps, tempo = 2 up, 2 down

30 sec rest, repeat. (only 2 sets)

C. Seated shoulder press (machine) - 10-12 reps, tempo = 1 up, 1 hold, 3 down.

30 sec res, repeat. (only 2 sets)

D. Biceps 21's (full reps) Reps- 7 normal grip, 7 wide grip, 7 reverse grip. tempo=2 up, 2 down

E. Lying tricep extension - dumbells - 10-12 reps, tempo = 2 up, 1 hold, 2 down.

30 sec rest, repeat (only 2 sets.)

F. Forearm rope twist - To failure

30sec rest, repeat (only 2 sets)

Day 2

A. Barbell squats - 10-12 reps, tempo = 3 down, 1 hold, 1 up.

30sec rest repeat (only 2 sets)

B. Leg extensions - 10-12 reps, tempo 2 up, 1 hold, 3 down.

30 sec rest (3 sets)

C. Lying leg curl - 10-12 reps, tempo 2 up, 1 hold, 3 down.

30 sec rest 3 sets

D. Hack squat - 10-12 reps , tempo, 2 down, 1 hold, 2 up.

30 sec rest 3 sets

E1. Hanging leg raises - 10-20 reps
E2. Alternal prone hold (not the plank exercise, i have to kep getting up into a pushup position then back down to plank on each hand, its like a more advanced version) 10 reps each side
E3. Knee up crunches 10-20 reps.

30 sec rest 2-3 sets.

Its not apart of my programe but i do a few sets on the seated calf raise machine as well, i dont want sickly little calfs, i wear shorts all the time. 10-12 reps

As long as I lift heavy and follow the short rest periods this routine is really intense, but am quite worried about the really low volume, so wht do you think for my work out routine, up the sets or not?? (if i do up the sets the i will make the rest periods 1 -2 min)

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No, run it as is. I'm guessing its 1 rest day then repeat? So if you do more sets st full intensity you aren't likely to recover well enough to have full intensity the next time.

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
3 sets, 6-8 reps.