how do i, 45.5kg, 5 foot 4 guy that i am, get a 24 inch waist without losing weight?

rza

Awards
im sure it can be done. my current waist is about 26 and a half inches. i think my diet is probably good enough already, so i think the only thing that needs to change is my workout at the gym. currently i go 3 times a week for an hour each time, and either play tennis or go swimming once a week aswell.

at the gym i do

5 minutes running

2 sets of 12 on the chest press

5 minutes on the cross trainer

2 sets of 12 on the leg press

2 sets of 12 on the leg curl

2 sets of 12 on the lateral pull down

3 minutes cycling

all of that times 2.

by the way that is all the equipment there is in my gym.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
sounds like you goal is to recomp (lose body fat while gaining muscle so you maintain your current weight) which is pretty tough to do and is almost completely diet dependent. Cardio isnt your answer it is finding the balance of your training vs the balance of your diet.

rza

Awards
ok, so does that mean my workout is fine, doesnt need to change? also, could you tell me what to eat and what not to eat.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ok, so does that mean my workout is fine, doesnt need to change? also, could you tell me what to eat and what not to eat.
It is all really dependent on how your body does, there isnt going to be a universal sure fire way to do this. There isnt an ultimate workout or diet to follow. Some people do well with high volume, some do well with low volume, some are extremely carb sensitive while some arent. Its all about experimenting and seeing what works for you.

Personally I am a fan of a general low carb diet with the exception of your workouts sourrounded by carbs. This works for me but it might not for you.

Start off by trying to increase your calories by about 200-300 a day with off days being low carb days (like 1-2 of them) and increase the amount of cardio you do to help compensate for whatever calories you eat extra that dont go to your muscles.

I would recomend adding some BCAAs if you dont take any already

It is tricky you will need to find your own balance.. good luck!

As for your workout generally I am not a fan of isolation movements and machine guided movements. Free weights and compound lifts are generally better for you overall but then again this will depend on your goals and if you currently have any muscular imbalances.

rza

Awards
sorry, but im pretty new to this game, and theres a few things i dont get: when you say low carb, what does that mean, is that no carbs, or just very little? so would it be no carbs on days i dont work out, and normal carbs on days i do? also, what are BCAAs? my gym doesnt have any free weights (crap gym i know) , so would you recommend i buy some? and if so, what weight, and, this will sound stupid, but how should i lift them? like, is there a specific technique?

and finally, when should i start to see results, and when should i start to think about changing things if i dont see any changes?

by the way, this is completely unrelated, but what is your opinion on dairy? because my doctor has said i should consume around a pint of whole milk (or cheese or plain yoghurt instead) a day, because i didnt drink it as a child, and i was wondering if this is jeopodising things.

cheers.

Last edited:
EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I hate to say it, but losing over 2 inches off your waist without losing any weight is going to be near impossible, unless your goal timeline is a few years from now

rza

Awards
Start off by trying to increase your calories by about 200-300 a day with off days being low carb days (like 1-2 of them) and increase the amount of cardio you do to help compensate for whatever calories you eat extra that dont go to your muscles.
sorry, dont understand this bit either. what are off days? are they the days i dont go to the gym? also, when you say burn off the extra calories that dont go to the muscles, how am i meant to tell which have gone there and which havent? do i just try to keep my weight the same? and if i do that, will i increase muscle?

also, how will this affect my energy levels? because they're not great at the moment, and id just like to know how im likely to feel.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
sorry, but im pretty new to this game, and theres a few things i dont get: when you say low carb, what does that mean, is that no carbs, or just very little? so would it be no carbs on days i dont work out, and normal carbs on days i do? also, what are BCAAs? my gym doesnt have any free weights (crap gym i know) , so would you recommend i buy some? and if so, what weight, and, this will sound stupid, but how should i lift them? like, is there a specific technique?

and finally, when should i start to see results, and when should i start to think about changing things if i dont see any changes?

by the way, this is completely unrelated, but what is your opinion on dairy? because my doctor has said i should consume around a pint of whole milk (or cheese or plain yoghurt instead) a day, because i didnt drink it as a child, and i was wondering if this is jeopodising things.

cheers.
Low carb is the term used when you eat less carbs than usual. This can vary anyway from 0-100g of carbs. It is really gonna depend on how sensitive you are to carbs, or in other words if you can weight easily from them or not

When I am restricting carb intake I limit them to only after a workout but I gain weight very easily, other people can eat carbs with every meal and not gain a pound. You are going to have to figure out how your body does with them.

BCAAs are branched chain amino acids. Google to find more about them but basically when you are trying to burn fat I like to up my BCAA intake to help preserve muscle

How does your gym not have any free weight? I would change gyms

If your asking basic questions like "how should I lift them" then I would suggest you get a personal trainer to show you the proper forms for the major lifts so you dont injury yourself. Starting Strength is a excellent program as well as bill stars 5x5 program.

sorry, dont understand this bit either. what are off days? are they the days i dont go to the gym? also, when you say burn off the extra calories that dont go to the muscles, how am i meant to tell which have gone there and which havent? do i just try to keep my weight the same? and if i do that, will i increase muscle?

also, how will this affect my energy levels? because they're not great at the moment, and id just like to know how im likely to feel.
Off days are days you arent working out.

Due to your previous questions I would suggest to not focus so much on a recomp. Learn the basics.. hang around the boards and read you will learn a ton trust me. Start a solid workout program and start experimenting with your diet and see how it effects you. The more you learn about yourself the more easier it will become to reach your goals

rza

Awards
ok, thanks, a personal trainer sounds a good idea. you still havent said though if keeping my weight the same post added calories will stop me gaining the additional muscle that comes with them.