Tricep extension pain

CarterMalone

CarterMalone

Awards
High there, I have an issue with tricep extensions. From building up to heavy weights, an 80lb dumbell at 8 reps, I get a pain right at the end of my right elbow while doing the exercise, and for a few hours afterward. For some reason not on the left elbow. The pain does not occur when doing cable tricep pulldowns. Nor is it as bad with single arm extensions.

My form is proper, and my elbows are in near my head.

What can I do to prevent the pain? Or has anyone else had this issue? Its possible that my joints just can't handle that amount of weight, as im not a big guy 6" 160lbs, just strong as I mainly train for strength.

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
It may be tendonitis? I have it in my left elbow from overuse but the funny thing is I'm opposite of you. I work 125lbs DB's with no pain whatsoever in flat or incline, but when doing cables I get the pain?!

gorilla25

gorilla25

Awards
i get it in my left elbow when i do db tricep extensions...but then again i use 110lb db+....i lay off that exercise for a month or so replacing with another exercise instead. when my elbow gets better, i go back to db extensions again.

edit:..to help with the pain, i use mineral ice, tiger balm etc...

Eizbear

Eizbear

Awards
  • Established
Change exercise to this instead:

I feel that it is more gentle towards my joints, and you can change the grip so it fits you...

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
Change exercise to this instead:

I feel that it is more gentle towards my joints, and you can change the grip so it fits you...
I think everyone is different in this exercise. There is NOTHING that hurts my tendon more than doing these...waaaay too many of them in high school. I can't even look at them without pain today. Cables are ok, db's are a little more painful than cables. Push-ups, bench, pressing = no pain at all.

Eizbear

Eizbear

Awards
  • Established
I think everyone is different in this exercise. There is NOTHING that hurts my tendon more than doing these...waaaay too many of them in high school. I can't even look at them without pain today. Cables are ok, db's are a little more painful than cables. Push-ups, bench, pressing = no pain at all.
Hmm, have you talked to a doctor about it ? Can be something else behind it.. Better safe then sorry man!

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I kind of have the same problem. I was doing them with the ez bar, but switched to dumbbells and alternate arms when doing tricep extensions. I feel this works better and I'm less prone to cheating, but I did have to lower the weight by 5 pounds on each arm. I feel less pressure on my triceps when I do extensions with a neutral grip, rather than with the ez bar. Also, with the ez bar I find when I do it lying down the grip sort of slips with the ez bar. It's hard to get a good grip on it and I've tried wrapping the bar with a towel to thicken it like I do with my ez bar curls but the bar doesn't stay put it moves insides the towel.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I'm curious does anyone do extensions with a tricep bar?

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
Hmm, have you talked to a doctor about it ? Can be something else behind it.. Better safe then sorry man!
I have...and it doesn't make much sense. In the end she concluded it was pressure on a nerve in my elbow, and gave me some stretches to do. They did nothing. I can control it with limiting certain movements with my tri's and not overloading my presses. I think it is just simple tendonitus.

I can do push downs with the V-bar on the cable
I can do one handed push downs with both palm up and down grip
I can do the behind the head presses like in the picture, but only with a special bar we have where my palms can be facing each other
I can do HEAVY weighted dips
Heavy bench
tons of push-ups any configuration

The ONLY thing that truly hurts bad is those behind the head presses with a curl bar...pure murder

CarterMalone

CarterMalone

Awards
I used to do the lying down EZbar extensions. Haven't done them in a while due to them being so damn inconvenient to set up, and giving me head rushes, like seeing stars and stuff. But its not really about convenience. I will try them out next tricep workout.

I guess as long as I can do single arm extensions without pain, then I am working a similar area. Single arm extensions, cable pulldowns (regular and reverse grip), all combined should work the full area.

Im guessing that extensions work the longer lower tricep muscle, and cable pulldowns work the shorter top part?

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
Lots of people have elbow pain with certain types of extensions. Just use exercises that don't hurt. Get stronger on the big exercises like close-grip benches and dips and then use some type of extension that doesn't cause pain as a finisher.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I finally solved my tricep problem. Seated EZ bar close grip tricep extensions. I tried it today, worked great. I tried them lying down, didnt work, too much pressure. I tried them seated one arm, left tricep is slightly swollen and idk when it will get better. I tried them two handed seated, works no pain, but hard to grip the dumbbell and easy to drop it. So, I tried seated with the ez bar today just to see what happens and it worked great.