Strength Program

1. Strength Program

Alright, I consider myself a seasoned vet when it comes to designing training programs, but sometimes I overthink programs I do for myself.

I am looking into a few programs that work for me, and the frequency I feel comfortable with. I like to train 5 days per week, due to lifestyle, it's what works and what needs to work. I have a son on the way and it could limit the frequency of my workouts and I will work around that as need be.

So, enough rambling. I've looked through a few powerlifting style workouts and most are based around a 3 day system. According to Westside, that doesn't mean you can't do some accessory lifts or some light days in between. The Sheiko workouts look great, but again a 3 day system. I need to boost strength but also need periodization. Something that deals with %-ages and progression.

There is a workout regimen on bb by curt dennis, and it's for h.s. football players, but it looks fairly solid. There are listed %-ages, but the progression looks far different than what I've previously seen. A lot of workouts seem to have your %1RM progress by 5% or so each week, this program sometimes has you adjusting every 2 weeks. It is no true issue, but I'm just curious what results people have had if they've tried this program.

A 4 day system can work, but it has to be something Mon-Fri, Saturday workouts can work, but weekends off are best.

Strength and size is my main goal. I'm into bodybuilding and have competed in the past. I don't train with the typical 5 day system. Over the past 2 years, I've done strength (lower reps) and hypertrophy in the second part of the week.

2. I've always had good results with an upper lower regime.

day 1: lower, squat focus
    day 2: upper, vertical focus

day 4: lower, deadlift focus
    day 5: upper, horizontal focus

Periodization will depend on what you want and when you want to peak, or if you plan to peak at all.

I generally work in 6-9 meso cycles and 2-3 week micro cycles. Deloading somewhere between every 7-10 weeks.

Br
    •   

3. Is this Big Red?

4. Oh and, thanks, I've been lookin to lay something like this out, thanks for the tips

5. split ur program up by three weeks

week one - reps 3 to 6

week two - reps 8 to 12

week three - reps 15 to 20
    BPS Representative
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by Bnatural View Post
    Is this Big Red?
    Yup.

And I suggest you reverse the order r1balla gave you

Start with higher reps in a general prep phase (GPP) then work your way down in reps over 3 week blocks.

Br

7. check out the juggernaut method.

i did 5/3/1 and westside for like 2 years almost all on a 4 day split. you can add another day in to shorten up the other days but i dont think its needed
    Serious Nutrition Solutions

8. Quote Originally Posted by Bnatural View Post
    Alright, I consider myself a seasoned vet when it comes to designing training programs, but sometimes I overthink programs I do for myself.

I am looking into a few programs that work for me, and the frequency I feel comfortable with. I like to train 5 days per week, due to lifestyle, it's what works and what needs to work. I have a son on the way and it could limit the frequency of my workouts and I will work around that as need be.

So, enough rambling. I've looked through a few powerlifting style workouts and most are based around a 3 day system. According to Westside, that doesn't mean you can't do some accessory lifts or some light days in between. The Sheiko workouts look great, but again a 3 day system. I need to boost strength but also need periodization. Something that deals with %-ages and progression.

There is a workout regimen on bb by curt dennis, and it's for h.s. football players, but it looks fairly solid. There are listed %-ages, but the progression looks far different than what I've previously seen. A lot of workouts seem to have your %1RM progress by 5% or so each week, this program sometimes has you adjusting every 2 weeks. It is no true issue, but I'm just curious what results people have had if they've tried this program.

A 4 day system can work, but it has to be something Mon-Fri, Saturday workouts can work, but weekends off are best.

Strength and size is my main goal. I'm into bodybuilding and have competed in the past. I don't train with the typical 5 day system. Over the past 2 years, I've done strength (lower reps) and hypertrophy in the second part of the week.
    cant go wrong with 5/3/1

Nice progressive layout and very simple and easy to follow
    PESCIENCE.COM

"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

9. thanks for the tips fellas.
    the more i looked into it the more i realized the sheiko program would work, but i modified it to a 4 day system.
    thanks for all of the tips, it's split up into how br stated above, for the most part.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Good program for strength? Yes or No?
    By DaveWalton in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-24-2009, 02:27 PM
  2. Absolute Best Program For Strength?
    By True74Seneca in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-09-2009, 12:32 PM
  3. Need help with strength program
    By Emerge in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-09-2009, 11:57 AM
  4. 3x3 program for strength