create me a bicep and quad speacialization routine

gidemon

Banned
Awards
whats up everyone!

im looking to focus and add size to my quads and biceps.So i was wondering if you guys could share some of your creativity and ideas for a routine(split aimed at bringing up my lagging biceps and quads.im happy with everything else as far as size and proportion goes.i have like many others overdeveloped delts and triceps and a decent chest and back.i also have calve developement that im very happy with.as far as my quads and biceps go im very unhappy with the developement.

i was thinking a split that puts most of the emphasis on biceps and my quads,while just maintaining my chest,back and delts etc.the split dosnt have to be on set days and im game for anything you guys can throw at me.

so if you had 8 to ten weeks to bring the quads and biceps up as much as possible hypertrophy wise how would you lay it out week by week.

so let me see what you guys can come up with and ill will give it my all..im desperate to get this right and get things proportioned correctly...**** all the knowledge and experience here in this forum im excited to see what you guys can come up with,ive been at it for years ,making routines aand splits,i even have a couple guys i train..i just would like to be the one guided and shown a new way for once...some fresh ideas are allways a great way to respark the training furnace.hell i will even run a log on this one if a good routine comes out of this post.

thanks everyone and look forward to some feedback

damon:swordfight:

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Hard to say without knowing exactly what you do now, but I'd say the most important thing is to basically go into maintenance mode for everything else and focus all your additional efforts on these areas. Also, depending on how many days a week you're working out now, you could add a day just to hit bis and quads. My workouts don't lend themselves much towards bodybuilding, but I do usually add one day a week I call "detail day" just to work on the areas I think need work. It doesn't have to be a ton of volume. I'd start and end the workout with a set of 20 squats and alternate between some form of curls and leg extensions for several sets in between. If you have a "Pull" day some other time during the week, change up your grip to underhand so you're using the biceps. Also, make sure you're not neglecting those hamstrings just because they're less visible than the quads.

gidemon

Banned
Awards
Hard to say without knowing exactly what you do now, but I'd say the most important thing is to basically go into maintenance mode for everything else and focus all your additional efforts on these areas. Also, depending on how many days a week you're working out now, you could add a day just to hit bis and quads. My workouts don't lend themselves much towards bodybuilding, but I do usually add one day a week I call "detail day" just to work on the areas I think need work. It doesn't have to be a ton of volume. I'd start and end the workout with a set of 20 squats and alternate between some form of curls and leg extensions for several sets in between. If you have a "Pull" day some other time during the week, change up your grip to underhand so you're using the biceps. Also, make sure you're not neglecting those hamstrings just because they're less visible than the quads.
good info ..yes i was thinking throwing everything into maintanence mode while attacking the biceps and quads...i have good ham developement ,wasnt trying to leave them out for sure..i lack that nice outer quad sweep.underhand grip pulling movemnts are good for the bieps-nice to point that out.. i actually was planning on including underhand grip rows or pullups just for that.

anybody have any ideas chime in..im looking for that sweet split

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
divide it into three weeks doing different amount of reps each week. for example

week 1 - heavy week reps 4 to 7
week 2 - medium week reps 8 to 12
week 3 - light week reps 15 to 20 with lots of super sets

gidemon

Banned
Awards
divide it into three weeks doing different amount of reps each week. for example

week 1 - heavy week reps 4 to 7
week 2 - medium week reps 8 to 12
week 3 - light week reps 15 to 20 with lots of super sets
yes.. i was deff thinking of including a lightweek -new growth i hope,and rest for the joints.Some people swear by high reps ,is this true they spur leg growth?Ive just become satisfied finally with my numbers in the 8-12 rep range for quads and have been pondering the thought of trying high(for me atleast)20 rep squats and legpress movements.Anyone do this and get hypertrophy?

gidemon

Banned
Awards
by the way at the gym tonight a guy says to me that his partners say i used to be big as hell(what a way to slam your ego when you feel like you have made mad gains)....anyone ever heard that?i was like well..yeah that was all just water?im like 330lb right now and when i joined the gym i was 270,so to make me feel better my traning buddy says..well its actually a complement you weigh more and are sronger but your more compact now..lol

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What type of training do you prefer?
Id suggest a power/hyper split with focus on quads and biceps
1-Upper Power
Bench Press (Angle of focus) 3-5 sets of 5 reps
Underhand Row 3-5 sets of 5 reps
Barbell/Hammer Curls-3-5 sets of 6-8 reps
Dips 3-5 sets pf 6-8 reps
2-Lower Power
Squats Medium Stance 3-5 sets of 5 reps
Stiff Legged Deads 3-5 sets of 5 reps
Leg Extensions-3-4 sets of 6-8 reps (Cluster Set Style)
Calves/Core
3-OFF
4-Chest/Back Hyper
DB Press-3 sets 8-12 reps
Underhand Chins-3 sets 1-2 reps short of failure
Chest Dips-3 sets 1-2 reps short of failure
Yates Row-3 sets 8-12 reps
Fly-2 sets 10-15
Pull-over 2 sets 10-15
5-Legs Hyper
Hack Squats superset with Leg Press (Both Close Stance)-3-4 sets of 10/20 reps
Walking Lunges-3 sets
Leg Ext superset with Leg Curls-3 sets 40/30/20 reps
Another Leg Curl Variation-3 sets 12-15 reps
Calves/Core
6-Delts/Arms Hyper
Bicep Chins/Rows-3 sets 8-12 reps
DB Curls-3 sets 8-12 reps
Machine/Cable Curls-2 sets 15-20 reps
Overhead Ext-3 sets 8-12 reps
Pushdowns-2-3 sets 10-15 reps
Side Laterals-3 sets 10-12
Rear Delt Raises-3 sets 10-12
7-OFF

The key to make this work is to only go to failure on power days.
This allows increased frequency so the hyper days are 1-2 reps short of failure.
Id suggest tweaking volume and movement selections based on all current goals and what works for you. Focus on just maintaining on all body parts other then quads/hams/biceps. I listed some combos for bis and quad sweep that worked very well for me. Your gonna keep getting stronger to get bigger. This would be my pick

gidemon

Banned
Awards
What type of training do you prefer?
Id suggest a power/hyper split with focus on quads and biceps
1-Upper Power
Bench Press (Angle of focus) 3-5 sets of 5 reps
Underhand Row 3-5 sets of 5 reps
Barbell/Hammer Curls-3-5 sets of 6-8 reps
Dips 3-5 sets pf 6-8 reps
2-Lower Power
Squats Medium Stance 3-5 sets of 5 reps
Stiff Legged Deads 3-5 sets of 5 reps
Leg Extensions-3-4 sets of 6-8 reps (Cluster Set Style)
Calves/Core
3-OFF
4-Chest/Back Hyper
DB Press-3 sets 8-12 reps
Underhand Chins-3 sets 1-2 reps short of failure
Chest Dips-3 sets 1-2 reps short of failure
Yates Row-3 sets 8-12 reps
Fly-2 sets 10-15
Pull-over 2 sets 10-15
5-Legs Hyper
Hack Squats superset with Leg Press (Both Close Stance)-3-4 sets of 10/20 reps
Walking Lunges-3 sets
Leg Ext superset with Leg Curls-3 sets 40/30/20 reps
Another Leg Curl Variation-3 sets 12-15 reps
Calves/Core
6-Delts/Arms Hyper
Bicep Chins/Rows-3 sets 8-12 reps
DB Curls-3 sets 8-12 reps
Machine/Cable Curls-2 sets 15-20 reps
Overhead Ext-3 sets 8-12 reps
Pushdowns-2-3 sets 10-15 reps
Side Laterals-3 sets 10-12
Rear Delt Raises-3 sets 10-12
7-OFF

The key to make this work is to only go to failure on power days.
This allows increased frequency so the hyper days are 1-2 reps short of failure.
Id suggest tweaking volume and movement selections based on all current goals and what works for you. Focus on just maintaining on all body parts other then quads/hams/biceps. I listed some combos for bis and quad sweep that worked very well for me. Your gonna keep getting stronger to get bigger. This would be my pick
thankyou man this is excactly the type of abreiviated routine with the speacialization set-up i was looking for.!

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
yea man, that basic layout is my bread and butter for bodybuilding. High frequency with mixed intensities which allows for any area to be specialized easily but maintain everything else with no effort. Best of luck.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
high reps are good, but i do heavy, medium and high to hit the three muscle fibers that are stimulated by different rep ranges.

gidemon

Banned
Awards
high reps are good, but i do heavy, medium and high to hit the three muscle fibers that are stimulated by different rep ranges.

so there must be mixtures of fibers..i was aware of the fast twitch and slow twitch fibers ..type one and two

a freind of mine today suggested that i need to start incorporating high reps while also having just enough heavy days to maintain or even keep gaining strength.. hes telling me he has made great gains in the quads doing higher reps and i can see more size and seperation in his legs..everything i have has been built in the 6-10 rep range so im excited to see what higher reps can do for me.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
higher reps are great for legs. just think about it. ur on them always so they are always being worked so they have to have a fast recovery. of course u shouldnt only do high reps. this is just what i like to do and it works awesome for me

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Laynes routine is based upon having heavy and high rep dayss

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
I could be wrong here, but I've never read anything about there being three types of muscle fiber. To my knowledge, there's fast twitch and slow twitch. That said, there are reasons to go for all three rep ranges. Very low rep range is great for power and with very heavy weights, you're going to use all your available muscle fibers, not just one or the other. In the 10 rep range, you'll do your best hypertrophy because the muscle is under tension longer. At the end, you might *really* strain through 3-4 reps instead of just the last really difficult rep when going for power. High reps at borderline cardio range are good for recovery. You'll push new blood and oxygen through the muscle and clear out the lactic acid. I like to hit some high rep stuff a couple days after a tough workout and it really helps alleviate soreness. Just don't go to failure and make sure you get a nice full ROM.