trap growth

ianm4208

Awards
Been told lately that if I were able to add a lil more mass to my traps, that I would look alot bigger overall. My training is pretty standard but I'm gunna probably switch it up due to my new goals. What have y'all found work best for trap growth? Thanx n reps

Boagrius

Boagrius

Awards
Heavy shrugs and a lot of sets has always helped me. Also work on your rear delts. It will show more seperation between muscle groups and look more defined.

bakerderek0

bakerderek0

Awards
  • Established
Upright rows make my traps look like a partial turtle shell.:wink1:

Just do like 3 sets of 12, you see what I mean.

ianm4208

Awards
That's the two answers I was expecting. Anything else?

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
dead lift
X2

Do a shrug at lock out

Up right rows

Dump bell shrugs - I did these wrong for years... Forget about weight and focus on contracting the muscle go slow and squeeze at the top. I see so many guys doing these wrongs wher they grab huge dumb bells and go way to fast putting their back into.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Power cleans and clean pulls for the upper traps.

Wide grip rows for the middle traps.

Scapula depressions and scapula pull downs for the lower traps.

br

beastybean

beastybean

Awards
  • Established
X2

Do a shrug at lock out

Up right rows

Dump bell shrugs - I did these wrong for years... Forget about weight and focus on contracting the muscle go slow and squeeze at the top. I see so many guys doing these wrongs wher they grab huge dumb bells and go way to fast putting their back into.
this^^^ and doing shrugs on a cable machine with the cables in front of you and then behind you.....i also like to stretch them out at the end of a high rep set, by grabbing some descently heavy weight and letting them hang by my sides.
Just make sure your doing full ROM, and squeezing hard at the top, almost trying to touch your ears.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Plenty of good things mentioned here. However know one has mentioned behind the back BB Shrugs. Incorporate these into your routine, and in a couple of weeks you'll see new growth.

Like mentioned previously, don't go too heavy, and focus on the contraction.

Also shrugs don't always have to be done completely vertical. try reducing the weight and leaning forward (don't allow your shoulders to roll forward). Also try them on an incline bench. Like your other muscles, you want to try and hit them from different angles.

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
Heavy deads and heavy shrugs. And I finish off my trap workout with what I call "suicide shrugs" where I'll start barbell shrugs from 405lbs and work my way down without rest 365, 315, 275, 225, 135, then just two 45lbs plates. This gets me so blown I can't even lift my neck to look up at the ceiling.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
trap bar deadlifts, YTLWI raises

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Farmers Walks and Neck raises. You'll be yoked up in no time.