Buzzed after deadlift

Cupofmoto

Cupofmoto

Awards
Today after hitting a new pr for deadlift I got one of the most intense buzzes/highs I've ever had, like drugs or something and my whole face went numb. I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else/is normal. Really weird experience, I hope I didnt break something.

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
Today after hitting a new pr for deadlift I got one of the most intense buzzes/highs I've ever had, like drugs or something and my whole face went numb. I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else/is normal. Really weird experience, I hope I didnt break something.
This happens to me all the time on heavy lifts. You get really lightheaded and feel like passing out someetimes. It's normal, especially when you're breaking PR's. I think it's the blood rushing to the head, I'm not sure. But I see guys pass out at power meets all the time.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
This happens to me all the time on heavy lifts. You get really lightheaded and feel like passing out someetimes. It's normal, especially when you're breaking PR's. I think it's the blood rushing to the head, I'm not sure. But I see guys pass out at power meets all the time.
Close. It's actually the blood rushing away from the head and overflowing to the working muscles. The need to sit down or even lay down when light headed is the bodies way of quickly returning blood back to the brain.

It means you're working hard :mischievous:

This is especially common with dead lifts because its so compound and the meat of the working muscles are in your lower extremities.

Cupofmoto

Cupofmoto

Awards
New to deadlifts?
Lol, no I've done them for a few years now but just recently focused more on increasing strength along the lines of Starting Strength/Madcow.
Thanks for the quick responses btw, good to know I'm not alone.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Congrats, bud :cheers:

I actually get a high from lifting in general, but after I crush a record I've set, I'm on top of the world.

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
Lol, no I've done them for a few years now but just recently focused more on increasing strength along the lines of Starting Strength/Madcow.
Thanks for the quick responses btw, good to know I'm not alone.
You need to learn to breathe correctly. Most people do the Valsalva maneuver inadvertently and inappropriately. Inhale greatly on the eccentric portion and exhale almost as powerfully on the concentric. You will not get the fireworks dancing on front of your eyeballs anymore.

Cupofmoto

Cupofmoto

Awards
You need to learn to breathe correctly. Most people do the Valsalva maneuver inadvertently and inappropriately. Inhale greatly on the eccentric portion and exhale almost as powerfully on the concentric. You will not get the fireworks dancing on front of your eyeballs anymore.
Hmm interesting. This is how I used to perform the movement more or less. However, Mark Rippetoe advocates not breathing (and thus the valsalva) because breathing could cause spine injury and the risk of a brain aneurysm is extremely low. Idk seems like there are pros and cons to both.

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
Hmm interesting. This is how I used to perform the movement more or less. However, Mark Rippetoe advocates not breathing (and thus the valsalva) because breathing could cause spine injury and the risk of a brain aneurysm is extremely low. Idk seems like there are pros and cons to both.
Spine injury...doubtful unless you are heaving Godly amounts around. I have been using my method for almost 20 years and have never had a problem. I have tried the Valsalva maneuver and when using close to or my max it is easy to do it wrong and almost pass out or pass out in that scenario.

noakail

Awards
I've had this happen to me. But I was at a higher elevation than normal and never lifted at that altitude. I guess it was the lack of oxygen.

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
On the hardest part of any lift (squats, deads, and even bench) I hold my breath just for a second, till the weight is moving. And usually during the pause at top I take two quick breaths, then the big one at the bottom.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The valsava will create a higher pressure in the abdomen and thorax, and thus help to keep the torso rigid. If held only for the moment when this rigidity is most needed (ie: the first pull in a deadlift, getting out of the hole in a squat, etc.) and then released, it is helpful and not really harmful. If held through the entire lift, then it may become a problem.

To the OP, here's whats happening

At the time when it is held, blood pressure sky rockets. When the hold is taking place, blood flow (and oxygen) to the brain is minimal due to constriction of arteries and veins in the throat/neck area. When it is released, the pressure causes a fast draining of blood from the brain into the now open veins, and there is a moment where the draining from and supply to (the head) is mismatched. Thus, oxygen delivery to the brain is inadequate for a portion of time and you get that light headed feeling. Same occurs when standing up too quickly, especially in people with orthostatic intolerance.

Br

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The more I read about Rippetoe's advice and form, the more I really doubt the guy. Yes, you should have big air while pulling, but you should release at lock out and drop the weight down. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
Could be beta endorphines similar to the "runner's high" runners get.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The more I read about Rippetoe's advice and form, the more I really doubt the guy. Yes, you should have big air while pulling, but you should release at lock out and drop the weight down. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Never been a huge fan of Rippetoe...although, his comments and one-liners are often humorous.

br

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Never been a huge fan of Rippetoe...although, his comments and one-liners are often humorous.

br
The way he teaches squats, IMO, is very bad. He himself has awful squat form (no lumbar arch, kyphotic position).

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The way he teaches squats, IMO, is very bad. He himself has awful squat form (no lumbar arch, kyphotic position).
How do you approach coaching the squat when you have athletes/clients with muscular imbalances? Specifically, youth athletes?

For example: tght hamstrings will cause a loss of lordosis toward the bottom of the rep, and tight hip flexors will cause excessive lordosis and forward leaning especially as the athlete descending.

How much work do you put into improving in the exercise, and how much work do you put into correcting these?

Just curious, seems to be an issue I used to face quite often. Coaches (especially football coaches and parents) who want their kids numbers to improve dramatically, and myself, who feels a strong base (skill (movement pattern), muscular balance, and motor programming) is more important, especially if the athlete plans to compete beyond high school.

Curious

br

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I start off with the box squat. It teaches you how to keep the weight towards the hamstrings and hips while heavily re-enforcing the hip drive aspect. With people that have awful form, it is not uncommon to add 50 lbs in just a few sessions by showing them proper technique. After that, you look to see where the sticking point is whether it be weak hamstrings, mid-traps, quads, etc. I've had many clients who swear up and down that they can't do squats and within 10 minutes, I have them squatting. 99% of the population does not realize that the motion is at the hips and not the knees.

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Rodja again.

TylerDurden7

Awards
Sounds to me like you got some of those feel good endorphins going. Gotta love it