Should I start at beginner style training?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.07%

Should I start at beginner style training?

I have been lifting for about 4 months, I kind of started like a dumba$$ because I was new to weightliifting and I started with a 4 day split. I have been doing some reading on gaining strength and muscle mass and I came across a 12 week: 4 Phase workout plan by Dr. Jim Stoppani. My question is, is it ok to start back at the whole body training and work my way back up to 4 or 5 day splits, or will it be best to keep training the way i am now? I dont want to decrease my strength and size gains, I just want to make sure that I am starting out right. Thanks for your help.

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.07%

Just so I am clear, I am still doing a 4 day split: Chest/Tri, Biceps, Legs/Shoulders, Back.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.11%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I believe it's always best to start at the beginning, such as whole body workouts. When you jump right into an advanced routine you're only shortchanging yourself. What I mean to say is your body will recover better on a beginner routine, then move up to an intermediate routine, then advanced. Some people stay with whole body workouts for any length of time because they find it effective. Best to cover all your bases, and then at least you're progressing correctly.
    •   

4. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.17%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

i would start out on 5x5. but 4 months is not a long time really
    Hardcore Supps for the Hardcore Trainer
    Use Discount Code AM20 To Save 20% At www.ironflexsupps.com

5. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  114 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.14%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by JoeShtMarine View Post
    I have been lifting for about 4 months, I kind of started like a dumba$$ because I was new to weightliifting and I started with a 4 day split. I have been doing some reading on gaining strength and muscle mass and I came across a 12 week: 4 Phase workout plan by Dr. Jim Stoppani. My question is, is it ok to start back at the whole body training and work my way back up to 4 or 5 day splits, or will it be best to keep training the way i am now? I dont want to decrease my strength and size gains, I just want to make sure that I am starting out right. Thanks for your help.
    You can go Full-Body if you like - there's nothing wrong with that, and even experienced trainees do this (myself included). You're not going to decrease strength and size gains if you manipulate your training right. If you're still fairly new to it, you might want to have someone look at what you're doing, what you have done, your goals and needs, and progress, and assess it.

~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  6. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.18%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

To me it sounds like your saying full body workouts are for beginners only? This is wrong. I dont think full body workouts are really considered a beginner routine. It really depends on your goals you have.

If your question is about this 4 phase program and if you should start in the middle of the phases then I would say no start from the begining and then after the first 12 weeks you will have a more better idea of what your doing and can adjust the weights and maybe tweak some of it even more.

There are no "one size fits all" programs... there is some pretty good solid base work done in most programs but almost all of them will have to be adjusted to the trainee. You may be significantly stronger with one group of muscles while another group will need more attention or you may lack the skill to correctly perfrom a movement and may have to break it down to other exercises to properly devolp the skill and strength required to do it. Weightlifting is a journey of self exploration.. it is a life long journey and definetely not a over night transformation.. you will get there. The more time you put into it the better you will get to know your body and figure out what works for you

Best of luck
    Josh
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.94%

Quote Originally Posted by bonscott View Post
    I believe it's always best to start at the beginning, such as whole body workouts. When you jump right into an advanced routine you're only shortchanging yourself. What I mean to say is your body will recover better on a beginner routine, then move up to an intermediate routine, then advanced. Some people stay with whole body workouts for any length of time because they find it effective. Best to cover all your bases, and then at least you're progressing correctly.
    Agreed. Start out with basic, heavy compound pushing and pulling motions. Squats, bench presses, bent over rows, pullups, deadlifts, presses, power cleans.
    Former Marine, UT-BSN, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, CSCS
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.07%

This is good information, I really appreciate it. I am going to start this 12 Week program today. I am very new to this website but I'm going to try and keep a log of what happens in my workout tracker. Thank you guys for the help.
  9. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.18%

keep a log in the log section on the boards and we can follow along and comment with support and/or suggestions
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  10. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.17%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by kingk0ng View Post
    Agreed. Start out with basic, heavy compound pushing and pulling motions. Squats, bench presses, bent over rows, pullups, deadlifts, presses, power cleans.
    aka 5x5
    Hardcore Supps for the Hardcore Trainer
    Use Discount Code AM20 To Save 20% At www.ironflexsupps.com

Similar Forum Threads

1. Beginner looking to start a cycle
    By Texanadian in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-21-2011, 10:28 AM
  2. Cutting, Strengthening, Bustin Ass(beginner style)
    By BB Ambitious in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-26-2010, 10:13 PM
  3. Total beginner wants a conservative start
    By Toptomcat in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-20-2009, 05:14 PM
  4. Training Style
    By jackofall in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-17-2008, 03:02 PM
  5. my training style