HATED training fads (venting)

bikeswimlive

bikeswimlive

Awards
  • Established
So I'm a traditionalist. I feel like what has worked effectively for years has proven itself and should be respected. I hate all the constant new gimick fads in lifting - be is supplements, lifts, diets, equipment, etc...

Lately my gym has been taken over by a craze and it is driving me insane. Vibram Five Finger shoes. If you aren't familiar with them, they are a thin rubber sole with sock like material for the upper portion. Each toe has it's own "channel" as well. Think free running.

In my opinion, free running was a lame fad when they first pushed it on us and it's still lame when they try and sell $100 pieces of **** and market it as "better free running". The sad part is, the average bro is biting hook, line, and sinker. I'm talking the guys who only wear sleeveless under armour and curl in the squat rack. The guys that I hear Backstreet Boys playing through their ear buds. The guys that only bench and curl. Those guys. I don't know maybe I need a new gym.

The Vibram website claims:

"1. Strengthens Muscles in the Feet and Lower Legs—Wearing Vibram FiveFingers will stimulate and strengthen muscles in the feet and lower legs, improving general foot health and reducing the risk of injury.
2. Improves Range of Motion in Ankles, Feet and Toes—No longer 'cast' in a shoe, the foot and toes move more naturally.
3. Stimulates Neural Function Important to Balance and Agility—When wearing Vibram FiveFingers, thousands of neurological receptors in the feet send valuable information to the brain, improving balance and agility".

It's all garbage. Impact is bad. Impact over years ruins joints, wears down tendons, causes stress fractures, is hard on archways, and just wears the body down.

There is a reason New Balance, Nike, Adidas, etc have spent untold sums of money on research and a cushioned sole is still the norm.

I made this motivational to appropriately describe how I feel:

I've got a million more pet peeves about fads and what I see at the gym, but before I have an aneurysm thinking about all of them, I want to hear some of yours.

HATEFULone

HATEFULone

Awards
  • Established
I hate those things, there is some super tool trainer at my gym who wears those every day. He also has everyone do every lift on a bosu ball, trains 3-6 people at once in a retarded circuit, and then he doesn't even watch their form, which is absolutely awful.

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
i see some guys wearing them in my gym, they may actually be better for certain exercises.... (squats, deadlifts, leg press)

running shoes are actually bad for you... not sure if you knew that...

i do hate the dudes in under armour curling in the squat rack (every day)

and i have to say you will NEVER catch me wearing these foot gloves....

i think the point of them is to get more of your weight off your toes during exercise...

i prefer converses

http://nymag.com/health/features/46213/

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
Uhh...those kinda look like my $10 deadlift slippers but with toe channels. I use them in competition all the time as do many other powerlifters. Reason being, they're low to the ground, no warped sole which could cause injury and/or bad form, you don't get that "foward lean" during heavy pulls, and they grip like a mutha!

HATEFULone

HATEFULone

Awards
  • Established
1) Wearing any type of sleeveless shirt with pants, unless you are a pro bodybuilder, if it is cold enough for pants, its cold enough for sleeves
2) Doing curls in the squat rack
3) Talking to me and asking me what I do, what I take, do I need a partner
4) Wearing jeans and your douchebag t-shirts to workout in
5) Talking on your cell phone between sets
6) Having a cigarette in your ear
7) Talking about how wasted you are going to get tonight
8) Hitting on every girl in the gym, good looking or not
9) Attempting to do squats, either free weight or smith machine, putting way too much weight on, and not even breaking a quarter squat
10) Asking someone how much they bench

This list is just the beginning, I'm sure there are about a thousand other violations that should result in dismissal from the gym.

bikeswimlive

bikeswimlive

Awards
  • Established
running shoes are actually bad for you... not sure if you knew that...
The best shoe, in my opinion, is a good cross-trainer. It will cover all of your needs. A real shoe store will properly measure your foot, watch you run on a treadmill (to view how your foot strikes the ground, pidgeon toed, etc.), and will examine your arch needs.

You will definitely pay more at a store like that, but you get a shoe that will actually work with your body and support you.

After doing those tests, they pretty much eliminated 90-95% of the shoes they stocked as an option for me. They set me up with a pair of Nike's which are probably the best pair of athletic shoes I have ever owned.

Guess what shoes they don't stock? Vibrams. Once I see marathon runners and Iron Man competitors using Vibrams and winning, nevermind...that won't happen.

Boagrius

Boagrius

Awards
I hate the fat guys that think their strong lol. They get down to rep 225 on bench, hit about 8 and jump up like they are hot ****. Gets me everytime!!

HATEFULone

HATEFULone

Awards
  • Established
Personally I have a general rule, I hate all human kind, so it makes it easy, and I'm not a jerk or racist, because I hate everyone equally.

Reactions: T50
kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
I hate the fat guys that think their strong lol. They get down to rep 225 on bench, hit about 8 and jump up like they are hot ****. Gets me everytime!!
Then I come along and warm-up with 225 and they quickly unrack and walk away LOL

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Personally I have a general rule, I hate all human kind, so it makes it easy, and I'm not a jerk or racist, because I hate everyone equally.
Hence the name, amirite?

I don't like people stepping on my shoes or crowding my space in the gym.

People that act offended when I tell them I'm not done yet but they can work in with me if they'd like. I'm willing to share, they don't seem to be interested.

Karate Pullups. I f*cking hate em. If you don't know what those are, watch any cross-fitter or someone trying to show off. They all do it.

Clean & Curls. If you pull your back doing curls, I got news for ya...

The chest & bi crew. What'd you hit yesterday? Chest & Bis. What you got tomorrow? Chest & Bis. What are you hitting today? Chest & Bis.

Affliction/Tapout/Ed Hardy shirts. Bonus if wearing your stunna shades in the gym.

Circuit trainers during peak hours. They're halfway across the gym but d*mmit they're still using that bench next to you.

DB Circuit trainers at any hour. Imma grab the 20s, 30s, and 40s and place them all in a circle around my bench. DON'T TOUCH THEM! THEY ARE MINE! MY OWN! MY PRECIOUS!

Wearing a belt the entire time you're in there. Bonus if not doing squats/deads.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
1) Wearing any type of sleeveless shirt with pants, unless you are a pro bodybuilder, if it is cold enough for pants, its cold enough for sleeves
Lol, I did that today :( Mind you I was hot as hell and didn't want to lug my coat around in addition to my lifting bag.

LMAO @ weight belt one and clean & curls. Wait 'till you see the kick-clean and curl going on ... it's so offensive that it's funny.

A training fad I find annoying is this new wave of "olympic lifters" that come in and do cleans with the most atrocious form and snatch with 15-20lbs a side for 10-20 reps and call it a day.

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
The perfect gym shoe was developed almost 100 years ago. It cannot be improved upon ...

The best dead lift and squat shoe I have ever used.

The best "erg" (rowing) shoe I've ever used.

All for around $30.00

INSANE.

Swoll245

Awards
I hate the lazy people that come to the gym to watch tv, talk, and get in your way and if that's not bad enough that there wasting there time, they try to talk to you inbetween all your sets, that's when I put the head phones in my ears. I also hate when your lifting and they say that's all u going to lift, I can lift way more than that yet you never see them do a dam thing. I say start working out or get the hell out.

Get swoll or go home!!!!!

bikeswimlive

bikeswimlive

Awards
  • Established
Karate Pullups. I f*cking hate em. If you don't know what those are, watch any cross-fitter or someone trying to show off. They all do it.
Don't get me started on crossfit. Why does it seem like all cross-fitters are hipster?

This is from a reputable crossfit website:

Crossfit pullups are the only pullups that give you leg cramps lol!

bikeswimlive

bikeswimlive

Awards
  • Established
Posting my shoes, just because I know bikeswimlive loves them so much:

These are the same as mine, but mine are not autographed.
I meant to tell you, the 115 pound kid who wears them to my gym jumped rope around the track for over an hour. He was doing like a run/skip/jump rope combo. The re-zigtech innovation was definitely helping him. No one else could use the track for fear of being windmill whipped. The whole time I was thinking, Heretostudy has those shoes. Atleast you don't have the lime green and pink ones.

Also yesterday there was a guy that couldn't have been more than 150 lbs, wore a sleeveless under armour, jeans, sandals, a pooka shell necklace, and a flat-billed hat on backwards.

I had no words......

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Primordial Performance Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I meant to tell you, the 115 pound kid who wears them to my gym jumped rope around the track for over an hour. He was doing like a run/skip/jump rope combo. The re-zigtech innovation was definitely helping him. No one else could use the track for fear of being windmill whipped. The whole time I was thinking, Heretostudy has those shoes. Atleast you don't have the lime green and pink ones.

Also yesterday there was a guy that couldn't have been more than 150 lbs, wore a sleeveless under armour, jeans, sandals, a pooka shell necklace, and a flat-billed hat on backwards.

I had no words......
We work out at the same gym?

And don't fear the whirlwind, its power can not be controlled.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My hated training fad is a nationwide problem: the banning of deadlifts in many gyms. I've been fortunate to find gyms that allow it, but I'll flip my **** if I ever get stuck in a gym that doesn't allow them.

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
I workout in my basement, which I LOVE NOW!!!! Anyway, my neighbor wears Under Armor skin tight shirts, why I don't know, but looks like one of those halloween pumpkins with pipe cleaners for arms and legs. He's fat, plain and simple, but doesn't accept it, LOL.

Who am I to ruin a young man's self image by telling him so? LOL

I did go to a gym once in southern connecticut and thought "Wow, people really do look like the goofs on Jersey Shore" That's all I could think, with the hair don'ts, and couldn't believe how crowded it was. The closest gym to me is Golds in Bangor, but thats an hour away. So I wander downstairs and lift away!!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I workout in my basement, which I LOVE NOW!!!! Anyway, my neighbor wears Under Armor skin tight shirts, why I don't know, but looks like one of those halloween pumpkins with pipe cleaners for arms and legs. He's fat, plain and simple, but doesn't accept it, LOL.

Who am I to ruin a young man's self image by telling him so? LOL

I did go to a gym once in southern connecticut and thought "Wow, people really do look like the goofs on Jersey Shore" That's all I could think, with the hair don'ts, and couldn't believe how crowded it was. The closest gym to me is Golds in Bangor, but thats an hour away. So I wander downstairs and lift away!!
UA is the new Nike. All the fat guys or ex-athletes trying to regain their past glory love to wear it.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I got a pair of Vibrams 3 years ago, before they became a big fad where now even mom's are buying them for their kids.

Personally, I love them, I have a few pairs. I enjoy them for:
running on the beach (stepping on a sharp shell sucks)
running well groomed trails
running linear or pulling a sled on a turf field
kayaking
(I used to) wear them around the city and campus for the WTF reaction.

They were originally invented for sailing teams to allow for better grip on wet decks.

Here's what they are not good for:
Olympic lifts
Agressive trail running
Sprinting on a track/hard surface
Anything that involves a change in direction (i.e.: agility, shuttles, sports, etc.)
Greater than a 2-3 mile run on the pavement

Br

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
BigNasty

BigNasty

Awards
I hate overhearing trainers with their clients. Most are so wrong it is depressing.

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
My hated training fad is a nationwide problem: the banning of deadlifts in many gyms. I've been fortunate to find gyms that allow it, but I'll flip my **** if I ever get stuck in a gym that doesn't allow them.
Banning of deads?! I've never heard of that! If that ever happens I'd go ballistic!

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Banning of deads?! I've never heard of that! If that ever happens I'd go ballistic!
Not sure if you have any Planet Fitness gyms around you, but they ban them. They also have a sensor that goes off if you put a weight down to "loud"...the whole place lights up and they come back and throw you out...or so I'm told - i never have/would sign up to one.

Br

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
Not sure if you have any Planet Fitness gyms around you, but they ban them. They also have a sensor that goes off if you put a weight down to "loud"...the whole place lights up and they come back and throw you out...or so I'm told - i never have/would sign up to one.

Br
LOL A sensor? That's too funny! I'm on the westcoast where 24's, Bally's, and LA Fitness' dominate.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established

Br
LOL A sensor? That's too funny! I'm on the westcoast where 24's, Bally's, and LA Fitness' dominate.
It isn't a sensor, it's a button that other members will press if they feel intimidated. Judgement free zone? Hardly.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
So I'm a traditionalist. I

It's all garbage. Impact is bad. Impact over years ruins joints, wears down tendons, causes stress fractures, is hard on archways, and just wears the body down.

Tell that to the Tarahumara Indians of Mexico. :bandit:

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
did anyone forget that we were all born without shoes?

i wonder what the first caveman powerlifter/bodybuilder wore when he was gettin his fukcin swell on..... maybe some deer skin.. that he killed with a spear..

and those caveman fukcers were probably some of the strongest dudes, with no sauce or sneakers

no shoes for the win!

bikeswimlive

bikeswimlive

Awards
  • Established

i wonder what the first caveman powerlifter/bodybuilder wore when he was gettin his fukcin swell on..... maybe some deer skin.. that he killed with a spear..

and those caveman fukcers were probably some of the strongest dudes, with no sauce or sneakers

no shoes for the win!
Yeah, they didn't have houses or medicine either. What was their life expectancy again?

I'll challenge you to a footrace on gravel and shattered glass. I'll use my shoes, you free run.

We learn and evolve. I'll keep my shoes thanks.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, they didn't have houses or medicine either. What was their life expectancy again?

I'll challenge you to a footrace on gravel and shattered glass. I'll use my shoes, you free run.

You would never beat the guys mentioned. They do just that. For 700+miles.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established

You would never beat the guys mentioned. They do just that. For 700+miles.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established

no shoes for the win!
What about those of us who are flat footed? Last time I wore a pair of converses I felt like my knees were going to snap in half, now it's new balance cross trainers all the way and my knees and back thank me. I didn't find out how bad my feet were until recently. I was squatting with no arch support and flat feet no wonder my knees were hurting.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
What about those of us who are flat footed? Last time I wore a pair of converses I felt like my knees were going to snap in half, now it's new balance cross trainers all the way and my knees and back thank me. I didn't find out how bad my feet were until recently. I was squatting with no arch support and flat feet no wonder my knees were hurting.
Run barefoot on sand or grass. Running barefoot stimulates and strengthens your foot’s natural muscles, improving your natural shock absorption capabilities. It is a known cure for flatfeets

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Actually, they did have medicine. Early humans (and some anthropologists even suggest neanderthals) were quite knowledgeable in the actions and use of herbals in pain, fever, and illness management.

Of course, they weren't performing surgery nor using antibiotics...then again, the use of antibiotics and antiseptics is creating super bacteria via natural selection. It slightly frightens me.

Br

bikeswimlive

bikeswimlive

Awards
  • Established
Run barefoot on sand or grass. Running barefoot stimulates and strengthens your foot’s natural muscles, improving your natural shock absorption capabilities. It is a known cure for flatfeets
It also highly increases your odds of injury.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think a mix is needed.

The advent of sneakers provides a lot of advantages: cushioning, shock absorbtion, corrections in pronation/supination/arch support, lateral support, etc. It allows us to trainer harder and longer, performing higher intensity and impact activities (plyometrics, jumping, sprinting and cutting, etc).

However, constantly wearing sneakers blocks foot muscle proprioception, and since many of the foot muscles originate in the lower leg (tibia, fibula, interosseus membrane, etc), will result in an incomplete development and/or atrophying of these muscles.

Hence the need for specificity: performing agility/plyometric drills, pavement running, sprinting barefoot is increasing the risk for injury, but so is neglecting the extrinsic and intrinsic muscles of the foot. Therefore, after a high intensity track workout or on low intensity days, I suggest performing a warm down and low intensity running barefoot on the infield.

Br

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
Not if you start slowly and build up to it it doesn't. For some weekend warrior sure. Not a dedicated athlete or regular trainer. Personally I have never injured myself in BF , but have in shoes.

HATEFULone

HATEFULone

Awards
  • Established
Crossfit

Not the actually theory, but that way people implement it and make it into a poor form and hip trendy thing to do.

bikeswimlive

bikeswimlive

Awards
  • Established
Not if you start slowly and build up to it it doesn't. For some weekend warrior sure. Not a dedicated athlete or regular trainer. Personally I have never injured myself in BF , but have in shoes.
Most likely because of probability. I'm sure your time in shoes is much much greater than your time BF.

It also could be situational, IE playing basketball in low ankle, running style shoes. Or you need a trail sole and you wear cross trainers and a rock bruises the bottom of your foot.

bikeswimlive

bikeswimlive

Awards
  • Established
Crossfit

Not the actually theory, but that way people implement it and make it into a poor form and hip trendy thing to do.
No bro, didn't you see 300, those guys were swole. Crossfit ftw lol.

Anything that emphasizes speed with weights and cares little for form, I don't buy it.

HATEFULone

HATEFULone

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, they were huge...all 170 lbs of them...
I wish I could walk around in a thong and have someone cgi and airbrush my muscles, I'd win the olympia in my sleep.

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
I hate the people that wear a beannie while they workout. Im over here sweating my a** off and these kids are grunting and hissing curling the 30's! Wearing a beannie in a 70 degree gym is not necessary.

BigNasty

BigNasty

Awards
I hate the people that wear a beannie while they workout. Im over here sweating my a** off and these kids are grunting and hissing curling the 30's! Wearing a beannie in a 70 degree gym is not necessary.
I've actually seen someone lift in sunglasses before. I had to leave.

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
I've actually seen someone lift in sunglasses before. I had to leave.
There's this semi-big dude (meant with a bit of sarcasm because he's 20+% bf) who wears sunglasses all the time. One day when I'm feeling irritated, I'm gonna call him out on it. Bugs the **** outta me!