1 week break or deconditioning?

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
I used to just take a 1 week break every 8 weeks but now as i get older and more serious about maintaining my strength and fitness goals i find it hard to except doing nothing for an entire week (boredom leads to cheating... on my diet that is) so im seeking a new solution to hitting plateaus and lettting time for a full body muscle/joint recovery so i can move up and past these brick walls.

Ive seen mentioned the term "deconditioning" and what ive taken in is that it consists of taking a break ( 1-2 weeks, preferably 1)from my normal heavy lifting routine and concentrate on cardio and/or dropping 20 or so pounds on lifts and not work until failure in order to maintain and heal at the same time. Do i have this idea right? and if so does this work? ...

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I used to just take a 1 week break every 8 weeks but now as i get older and more serious about maintaining my strength and fitness goals i find it hard to except doing nothing for an entire week (boredom leads to cheating... on my diet that is) so im seeking a new solution to hitting plateaus and lettting time for a full body muscle/joint recovery so i can move up and past these brick walls.

Ive seen mentioned the term "deconditioning" and what ive taken in is that it consists of taking a break ( 1-2 weeks, preferably 1)from my normal heavy lifting routine and concentrate on cardio and/or dropping 20 or so pounds on lifts and not work until failure in order to maintain and heal at the same time. Do i have this idea right? and if so does this work? ...
You can still take a break every ~8 weeks from RESISTANCE training, and continue doing some cardio for 4-6 days a week that week.

OR you can decondition every 3-4 weeks for a week - this is what I used to do when I was cycling, have an easier week every third week. You don't have to go lighter or anything, but maybe use less volume, spend less time training, do 2-3 resistance sessions instead of 3-5, etc.

~Rosie~

chrisrob05

chrisrob05

Awards
Once again, Rosie hit it on the head.....Strength training can always be substituted with cardiovascular training. The hardcore lifting will break the body down over time. Take a week off and do cardio while sticking to a clean diet. Hell, make it interesting-do calisthenics without weight resistance....I'll bet you still sweat-If your body is saying, "recover".....Listen to it!

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I have actually done a modified version of it. I had moderate to light weight training sessions. I trained with weights 3 times a week for 4 during a period of time where I was working too much. I was back at full strength in one week after that. I kept my poundages at 50-60% of my max AND incorporated cardio. It was 30 minutes of lifting and 30 minutes of cardio. I say you just go with light weights for a week instead of cutting it out of your routine.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The thought is right, but deconditioning is not the word you want. Deconditioning means loosing shape, getting out of shape. Deloading is the term you are looking for.

Anyhow, whether you deload or take a week off will depend on if you are over-reaching (and to what degree) of if you are actually over trained.

If you over-reach (hit a plateau, gains come slow, recovery is not where it should be), then you should deload. Like ironwarrior said, 2-3 days of very light weights for submaximal reps. Basically you go through the motions.

If you are over-trained (symptoms include: insomnia, loss of apetite, loss of gains, elevated resting heart beat, increased anxiety, loss of motivation to train, etc.) then you should take a week off, and the next week deload.

Br

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A planned deload is one of the most important principles that everyone can thank the PL crowd for popularizing. Not only does it give the joint and CNS a break, but it gives you a chance to really refine your technique and make adjustments for your upcoming microcycle.

HATEFULone

HATEFULone

Awards
  • Established
A planned deload is one of the most important principles that everyone can thank the PL crowd for popularizing. Not only does it give the joint and CNS a break, but it gives you a chance to really refine your technique and make adjustments for your upcoming microcycle.
Well put, deloads and dynamic warm ups are the two most important thing I've added to my training in the past 3 years, this year it was routine foam roller work that really helped as well. Defranco recommends decreasing your weight to 50% of your 1RM, and cutting the volume of sets down every 3-4 weeks even. I plan a 3-5 week microcycle, I follow this plan to a T, then I deload and change up to another microcycle to suit my training goals, it takes some getting used to mentally but you will come back feeling great and ready to train hard again.

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
i train dc and for me when i feel like im getting wiped out a take a full week off followed by a deload week

benjiman

Banned
Awards
  • Established
how to tell if your overtraninng or need a week off.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The parameter I use is this: have I had a lack of fire when going to the gym for over a week? If so, then it's time to pull back and deload.

Nman

Nman

Awards
I use a deload week every 4th week and work on weak spots or imbalances along with the main lifts at ~40-50% 1RM.

benjiman

Banned
Awards
  • Established
well if someone would help me i would greatley appreciate it i do not know my body like rosie and some of you.but i just started back working out 3 weeks ago and am having great results.i am really pushing it hard in the gym and kitchen.but when i am not in the gym i feel like crap just tried and sore as hell feel like i have a cold blow my nose and have sore throats all the time which is not normall for me.and not sleeping well at all.but like i said i am really likeing my results i am going on a cruze in 1 month and trying to get ripped for that and yes i do plan to stick with it after the cruze all so.so my question is this am i over tranning even if i feel great and am on fire in the gym but feel like crap when not in the gym?

Nman

Nman

Awards
well if someone would help me i would greatley appreciate it i do not know my body like rosie and some of you.but i just started back working out 3 weeks ago and am having great results.i am really pushing it hard in the gym and kitchen.but when i am not in the gym i feel like crap just tried and sore as hell feel like i have a cold blow my nose and have sore throats all the time which is not normall for me.and not sleeping well at all.but like i said i am really likeing my results i am going on a cruze in 1 month and trying to get ripped for that and yes i do plan to stick with it after the cruze all so.so my question is this am i over tranning even if i feel great and am on fire in the gym but feel like crap when not in the gym?
Even if you were overtraining haveing a runny nose and sore throats, etc... shouldn't cause that. Sounds like you're fighting something else. Some zinc lozenges may help fight whatever you have. How long have you been feeling like that?

benjiman

Banned
Awards
  • Established
for about two weeks or more i am geting results but i think some of the supplements that are helping me get results are making me not sleep well or enough.so with hard tranning,dieting and not sleeping well is all making me fell run down.but i am geting results so i am weighing my options to keep taking the stuff that helping me get results that i like but all so keeping me up at night which i do not like?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
but i am geting results so i am weighing my options to keep taking the stuff that helping me get results that i like but all so keeping me up at night which i do not like?
You have created a minor psychological dependence on a supplement.

First, you have only been training for 3 weeks, so you do not know if it was the training or the training+supplement that is responsible for your gains. I'm guessing, especially since it is an NO product, that it is the prior.

Second is the dependence on stimulants that are in the NO. Regularly taking stims will cause you to over train faster: elevated adrenal output can cause adrenal fatigue, greater CNS activation can cause CNS drain. Combine that with a reduction in sleep and you have a recipe for reduced recovery.

My advice, stop taking things that keep you up at night. If you need a boost, drink a cup of coffee before you hit the gym

Br

benjiman

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yea i am sure some of my gains are newibie gains but i am a animal in the gym when i take the sp max before going to the gym.but yea i need sleep to grow and i am super senstive to stims. thanks every thing you said is right on.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
You have created a minor psychological dependence on a supplement.

First, you have only been training for 3 weeks, so you do not know if it was the training or the training+supplement that is responsible for your gains. I'm guessing, especially since it is an NO product, that it is the prior.

Second is the dependence on stimulants that are in the NO. Regularly taking stims will cause you to over train faster: elevated adrenal output can cause adrenal fatigue, greater CNS activation can cause CNS drain. Combine that with a reduction in sleep and you have a recipe for reduced recovery.

My advice, stop taking things that keep you up at night. If you need a boost, drink a cup of coffee before you hit the gym

Br
i totally agree with the No supp comment. Ive been using these products off an on for years and after awhile i get the same symtoms. Sleeplessness , diarhea, bad jitters and hard crashes.. lately ive been drinking coffee PWO and i have to say i like it alot more, you dont get that chemically induced pump but that wears off anyhow. sometimes it feels good and more natural to take it back down to basics.

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
needing a week off for me is kinda like what rodja said i lose lack of interest. ive actually been in a true overtained state due to schedule and everything. i had zero int in gym, no appetite, i was exhausted 24/7 but couldnt sleep for more than an hour or so. trust me you will know if you get there. 2 solid weeks off did the trick. im much more in tune to what my body is telling me since then