lifting for bulk

bucca1264

Awards
I'm not necesarrily new to lifting but i am looking for a routine to try and build muscle and fill myself out a litttle better. i'm 6'4 and roughly 185 pounds and have a hard time gaining weight any help is greatly appreciated

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What's your current routine look like?

I was doing 4 sets of 8-12 reps of everything for my last 20 pounds I put on, with a lot of pump sets up to 20 reps too.

I recently switched it up to 3-5 sets of 5 reps for everything and usually do upper body one day and lower the next followed by off time, and that's working too.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Diet will put the weight on you. are you looking for a 3 day routine, 4 day, 5 day?

bucca1264

Awards
my old routine was a different set of muscles everyday for 5 day 3 lifts per muscle and 3 sets of 8 i am also looking for a diet to help with muscle growth and was looking into just working out 3 days a week i saw some pretty good material for 5 sets of 5 but don't know how well that works

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm not necesarrily new to lifting but i am looking for a routine to try and build muscle and fill myself out a litttle better. i'm 6'4 and roughly 185 pounds and have a hard time gaining weight any help is greatly appreciated
If you're an experienced lifter, then the modified 10x3 Training Porgramme in the article How To Maximize Mass Through Weights And Adaptation could be recommended - it requires discipline and consistency though, and if you cannot give that, then do not do it.

my old routine was a different set of muscles everyday for 5 day 3 lifts per muscle and 3 sets of 8 i am also looking for a diet to help with muscle growth and was looking into just working out 3 days a week i saw some pretty good material for 5 sets of 5 but don't know how well that works
Review Macronutrient Composition for Optimal Muscle Growth for information re nutrition. As far as a diet for it, follow the principles in the article and individualize a nutrition plan specific for you.

Training only three days a week will work re muscle accretion - so long as your nutrition is set up for it, and you're lifting appropriately and heavy enough.

The 5x5 Training Programme is effective for building muscle mass, yes.

~Rosie~

DaJaP

DaJaP

Awards
At 6'4'' and 185, you must be pretty thin. If you're a hard gainer, invest in some weight gainer protein first off, and just eat tons and tons of clean food. As for size, keep your heavy sets around the 4-6 rep range, has been workin great for me, and im japanese haha

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
eat LOTS of carbs. thats what got me big. bagels, oats, pasta, rice, sweet potatoes. just keep eating them

HATEFULone

HATEFULone

Awards
  • Established
built like a badass is a solid 3 day, westside for skinny bastards 4 day if you are fairly athletic, I just started Wendler's 5/3/1, first week so not much to report but I do find the workouts refreshing after coming off of high volume work.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Bulk has more to do with diet..

Stick to heavy compound pushes and pulls, put emphasis on squats, deadlifts, and power cleans and make sure you're applying progressive overload each session.