Please check my form (lateral raise db in front/scaptions)

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
first you always work out in the dark i might be doing it wrong but it works i lift arms straight out not out to sides unless im doing side raises and my palms are down (up for 2sec. hold for pause. down in 2sec)

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
first you always work out in the dark i might be doing it wrong but it works i lift arms straight out not out to sides unless im doing side raises and my palms are down (up for 2sec. hold for pause. down in 2sec)
No spotter, camera is **** at recording video, I workout afew hours before bed. I'm wondering if I did it less controlled since I did scaptions first and I think I'm messing up on them. I'll have another vid up next week. I know I should be doing 20 lbs, 15 is too light, but 20 is slightly heavy even at a rep range of 8-12. I cant do anything heavier at my sides than 15, even though 15 is light and I get all my reps in, no mater what form. Eveytime I lift at my sides, I hear crack, crack in my right shoulder.

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
I was doing 35lbs but doing them fast. now i do them slow 2up hold 2down and if im lucky i can do 25lbs for 15-20 i find front raises to be alot nicer.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
those really look like something between lateral raises and front raises. There are a lot of variations on how you can do a lateral raise though. What I see in yours that is less than optimal is that the first portion of your movement is really more an elbow flex (from what it looks like in the 2nd video) than moving from the shoulders
I do mine more or less like this

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I was trying to do them liek this YouTube - Lateral Dumbbell Raise
I know for sure my arms are more bent than this guys. I still feel stimulation in my lateral delts. I can not lift them directly at my sides, so they need to be in front.

bakerderek0

bakerderek0

Awards
  • Established
http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e51/BrainStorm_wow/?action=view&current=HPIM1423.mp4
This is me doing lateral Raises yesterday. It looks like I'm doing them correctly. And this is me doing DB shoulder presses. I didn't bring my arms down too far, because I have long arms and my shoulder crack if I go too low.
http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e51/BrainStorm_wow/?action=view&current=HPIM1420.mp4
When doing lateral raises my main focus is the medial/middle deltoid. Think your motion was solid (no bouncing) However, you should lean forward slightly to really isolate the middle deltoid. Once you reach the top of your rep, hands should be slightly turned forward (kind of like pouring a glass). Like I said looks good, now perfect it. Don't worry about big weight until you get the form perfected. which, I don't go over 25lb dumbells on lateral raises.

Shoulder Press looked solid as well, you'll find it much easier sitting down, but i've also heard standing is the way to go for overall core strength. I only noticed your elbows crossing the start position. when coming down from a rep, your arms should be parallel to the floor, then back up. You didn't cling the weights and thats good.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like the form in the second set of videos, especially on the shoulder presses. Good work.

Now, a critique on the lateral raises. I would bend your elbows more and make sure to lift the weights a bit higher. See, the thing about isolating the medial delts with lateral raises is that you don't actually even involve much of the medial heads until you get to the upper portion of a lateral raise. I think you could improve your range of motion on that upper portion. I think it would be easier to do this if you bent elbows as mentioned above.

Here, check this out:
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidLateral/DBLateralRaise.html
http://www.exrx.net/AnimatedEx/DeltoidLateral/DBLateralRaise2.gif

I wouldn't bother looking at the links about errors in form as you aren't making them, and it's pretty obvious that the example errors in form they use clearly don't constitute proper form for a lat raise, lol.