What should I be able to squat?

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Answers

What should I be able to squat?

Well after several knee surgeries and other leg/knee problems I have decided to try to start squating and lifting my legs on the regular. I currently have a partially torn miniscus, but I decided screw it let's go. Since I have never actually squated in probably 5 plus years what should I be able to do? I lifted legs today and on the squat I hit 225x10, 275x10, and 315x10.....last couple of the 315 was tough but first 6 was pretty damn easy.

2. Registered User
    Answers

Only you can answer that. Listen to your body and go by how you feel. I would say take it slow but 315 is already getting up there.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Wudog View Post
    Well after several knee surgeries and other leg/knee problems I have decided to try to start squating and lifting my legs on the regular. I currently have a partially torn miniscus, but I decided screw it let's go. Since I have never actually squated in probably 5 plus years what should I be able to do? I lifted legs today and on the squat I hit 225x10, 275x10, and 315x10.....last couple of the 315 was tough but first 6 was pretty damn easy.
    Not to be rude, but if you're having to ask this question, have had several knee surgeries and are currently experiencing other leg problems, then there is no way you should be squatting 315 x 10 (using proper form of course). There is a huge difference between "1/4" squatting 315 and "full" squatting 315.

Given your circumstances, Id lightly work into upping the weight. 315 is a lot of weight to throw on if you haven't squatted for some time. Have someone knowledgeable in the squat check your form, then ease back into it.

Good luck man! If you want to know strength standards for a man of your size you can google "strength standards" and it should direct you to exrx strength standards page.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by updownupdown View Post
    Not to be rude, but if you're having to ask this question, have had several knee surgeries and are currently experiencing other leg problems, then there is no way you should be squatting 315 x 10 (using proper form of course). There is a huge difference between "1/4" squatting 315 and "full" squatting 315.

Given your circumstances, Id lightly work into upping the weight. 315 is a lot of weight to throw on if you haven't squatted for some time. Have someone knowledgeable in the squat check your form, then ease back into it.

Good luck man! If you want to know strength standards for a man of your size you can google "strength standards" and it should direct you to exrx strength standards page.
    Oh I'm well aware of the proper form and making sure I'm doing it...I don't believe in cheating to get higher weights or more reps. I just don't know what would be a "good" weight for me. I like to compare and know where I stand. The knee/leg problems are things I've dealt with for years and will never be "better" so I just fight through them. I figure if I can compete in BJJ and MMA then why can't I squat? I use proper form, and a spotter at all times so if something happens I won't kill myself lol.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Answers

I agree with UDUD about gradually easing into it with that long of a break.

I know you said "screw it" but you'll be in a world of hurt (and probably really pissed off) if you blow out a knee and can't squat ever again. Just work slow, smooth reps and gradually increase the weight.

Good luck, bro.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Wudog: You need to post a vid of your squat. We'll be able to decide if your form is on point, and whether there is any advice we can help you to squat safer. Personally I've torn my meniscus 8 times, and I know the form that works best for my knees not to hurt. Also, 315x10 is going to be really hard for anyone to believe that you did your first squat session in 5 years. If you only knew how few people can squat that legitimately...
    Need2 Transformation Progress http://anabolicminds.com/forum/needtobuildmuscle-mrsupps/167648-legacyfighters-needtobuildmuscle-contest.html
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Answers

There is a 'strength standards' table at http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...Standards.html.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Answers

honestly just because i've not done a squat in years is no reason for my legs to be weak. With all the other things I do including bjj and mma they are really strong; and I have huge legs to begin with.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. How low do you squat?
    By nodgodbod in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 06-02-2013, 08:48 PM
  2. Split Squat and Single Leg Squat
    By athletor in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-06-2010, 11:30 AM
  3. Free Squat Vs Smith Squat
    By goleafsgo1216 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-30-2009, 09:49 PM
  4. how much less will a front squat be than a back squat be on average?
    By underdog13 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-11-2009, 07:11 PM
  5. Where to buy Box squat?
    By lk9932 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-01-2007, 09:14 AM