Tips on stretching

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
I am the least flexible person in the world and I mean that. I have tried regular stretching and have not seen any improvements. I am wondering if anyone else is like me and how they have slowly worked on becomming more flexible?

I am looking for tips basically as a beginner, and can hopefully keep some flexability.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am the least flexible person in the world and I mean that. I have tried regular stretching and have not seen any improvements. I am wondering if anyone else is like me and how they have slowly worked on becomming more flexible?

I am looking for tips basically as a beginner, and can hopefully keep some flexability.
First, you should assess where you need to improve your flexibility, and work more on those areas - for example, those with tight hamstrings would do an extra few exercises for them than other body-parts.

Re stretching tips:
* Always stretch when you are WARM (i.e. AFTER training or after a hot shower pre-bed) - your muscles, tendons, and ligaments are more pliable (and stretching is also a form of "recovery"). Do not ever stretch cold (especially re static stretching), because this increases your risk of injury.
* When stretching, go to the point just before pain and hold.
* Hold stretches for 20-30 seconds each.
* If stretching post-training, focus on stretching the muscles worked during that session.

There are also different kind of stretching (i.e. static and dynamic, assisted and unassisted), and you should choose the one relevant to you. You could always try a yoga class as well, and see how that goes.

Stretching will definitely help re flexibility. I always recommend stretching for 20-30 minutes a day (and have done this myself since I was 14 years old).

Hopefully this helps a bit :)

~Rosie~

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
First, you should assess where you need to improve your flexibility, and work more on those areas - for example, those with tight hamstrings would do an extra few exercises for them than other body-parts.

Re stretching tips:
* Always stretch when you are WARM (i.e. AFTER training or after a hot shower pre-bed) - your muscles, tendons, and ligaments are more pliable (and stretching is also a form of "recovery"). Do not ever stretch cold (especially re static stretching), because this increases your risk of injury.
* When stretching, go to the point just before pain and hold.
* Hold stretches for 20-30 seconds each.
* If stretching post-training, focus on stretching the muscles worked during that session.

There are also different kind of stretching (i.e. static and dynamic, assisted and unassisted), and you should choose the one relevant to you. You could always try a yoga class as well, and see how that goes.

Stretching will definitely help re flexibility. I always recommend stretching for 20-30 minutes a day (and have done this myself since I was 14 years old).

Hopefully this helps a bit :)

~Rosie~
Thanks Rosie. I need to improve on all areas of stretching. I can't even touch my toes, in fact, not even close. I would like to get a good total body stretching routine that others have had success with.

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
i hate stretching, that being said... i force myself to do it after my workouts... not sure if it makes any sense, but thinking that i am stretching muscle fascia makes me feel good.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks Rosie. I need to improve on all areas of stretching. I can't even touch my toes, in fact, not even close. I would like to get a good total body stretching routine that others have had success with.
No worries :)

As for a "total body stretching routine", just do a stretch for each body-part - there are various websites that have stretches, etc. on them. Perhaps attend a stretching class (I know some gyms have them) to get an idea of what you can do.

~Rosie~

EatMeat

EatMeat

Awards
i hate stretching, that being said... i force myself to do it after my workouts... not sure if it makes any sense, but thinking that i am stretching muscle fascia makes me feel good.

good, ive heard stretching boosts igf 1 dramatically for a short while.

theres another reason to feel good about taking the time to do it.

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
Download a torrent downloader, such as bitcomet, go to btjunkie.com, download the P90X routine, and do the stretches a couple times a week. Or spend the money and by it blah blah blah

I do it usually twice a week on off days, and its a neck to foot hour long stretch routine, and I really do like it, except for the host. Definately loosened me up and helped my aching back, thank God!!

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
Download a torrent downloader, such as bitcomet, go to btjunkie.com, download the P90X routine, and do the stretches a couple times a week. Or spend the money and by it blah blah blah

I do it usually twice a week on off days, and its a neck to foot hour long stretch routine, and I really do like it, except for the host. Definately loosened me up and helped my aching back, thank God!!
What form does it download in?

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
IDK, just a regular video...I can watch it with windows media player, but I transfered it to a memory stick and then saved it in my PS3

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
No, its a bit too big of a file I'm afraid.....

Just go to bitcomet.com, download that (the little orange rectangle where it says free download, click the orange circle with the down arrow), then go to btjunkie.com, and type in the search what you want. I just got a bluray copy of avatar and then Mortal Kombat from 1995, so there's tons of stuff. O, and downloaded True Grit last week :D

Theres other torrent sites, but btjunkie has ratings by the downloads, so the higher the ratings the better the copy.

Don't be bashful!!

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
No, its a bit too big of a file I'm afraid.....

Just go to bitcomet.com, download that, then btjunkie.com, and type in the search what you want. I just got a bluray copy of avatar and then Mortal Kombat from 1995, so there's tons of stuff. O, and downloaded True Grit last week :D

Don't be bashful!!
I just dont want a virus on my computer.

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
'Tis why you go with the higher rated and read the comments.....or look at the red tags for the negs. Just go to btjunkie and type in something, and you'll see what I mean.

I think the first movie I ever got was Rocky and watched it New Years at home while it was still in theaters:D

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've found that what Rosie has said to be effective. I have also found success with Extreme Stretches, which are primarily focused on stretching the muscle fascia but has helped with my flexibility as well.

More info here with pics link at the bottom: http://dc-training.blogspot.com/2005/11/extreme-stretching.html

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=9527

And then here's one with a lot of info on general stretching and flexibility:
http://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/docs/rec/stretching/stretching_5.html

specmike

specmike

Awards
  • Established
The best stretching instruction I ever got was from my karate instructor. If you have a decent martial arts studio close by, you might be able to sign up for a month and get some good ideas. It's a great way to get your cardio and flexibility.

jlinteris

jlinteris

Awards
I would recommend YOGA. Yeah might seem silly, but it destroys your core and builds your flexibility up in a hurry. My friend who is a competitive bodybuilder (6'0, 270 pounds) goes a few times a week and noticed an insane diff within the month. Also, don't assume you need to wear spandex pants to the class as people will accuse you of this. Not the case.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I would recommend YOGA. Yeah might seem silly, but it destroys your core and builds your flexibility up in a hurry. My friend who is a competitive bodybuilder (6'0, 270 pounds) goes a few times a week and noticed an insane diff within the month. Also, don't assume you need to wear spandex pants to the class as people will accuse you of this. Not the case.
I didnt do well with the stretches in yoga, but then I foundout I have flat feet

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
I've never taken a yoga class. Do they offer them for beginners because I don't want to ruin anyone elses session.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've never taken a yoga class. Do they offer them for beginners because I don't want to ruin anyone elses session.
Some gyms might, but generally it is one class - if they are anything like some other classes, they have beginners, intermediate, and advanced options re the exercises as they do them.

~Rosie~

jlinteris

jlinteris

Awards
Yeah, apparently they do have beginners classes. My bud said they took him right into the regular class and the instructor offered him some lighter stuff to adapt into the course. It worked after a few weeks and he was good to go. The guy swears by this stuff now.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
While these aren't the most terribly wieldy methods (in that they require unconventional equipment [like bands]), they are beyond helpful: MobilityWOD. Google that. I haven't started them yet but I really need to get on board on the ones that don't require bands, rings, and weird CF or PL ****. And believe me, they work. This guy I know went from barely hitting parallel on his wide squats to going ATG, with NO ROUNDING OF LOWER BACK.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Does stretching enhance hypertrophy?

Here's an excerpt from the latest NSCA Strength and Conditioning Journal

Strength & Conditioning Journal:
February 2011 - Volume 33 - Issue 1 - pp 81-87
doi: 10.1519/SSC.0b013e3181fe7164
Article
Maximizing Hypertrophy: Possible Contribution of Stretching in the Interset Rest Period

Mohamad, Nur Ikhwan MSc1,3; Nosaka, Kazunori PhD1; Cronin, John PhD1,2
STRETCH-INDUCED HYPERTROPHY

In terms of animal research, there is a body of literature that has documented stretch-induced hypertrophy. Goldspink (18) compared 2 conditions where rat soleus and extensor digitorum longus muscles were immobilized in shortened and lengthened positions and reported that the lengthened muscles increased in size, whereas shortened position muscles atrophied. This suggests that passive stretch at long muscle length stimulates protein synthesis and induces the growth of muscles.

Holly et al. (27) reported increases in length and cross-sectional area of 4 chicken wing muscles stretched to different extents over a 5-week duration. Essentially, length changes were complete after 1 week of stretching; however, increases in cross-sectional area of 73-206% were recorded over the 5-week duration of the study depending on the type of the muscle. The researchers concluded that muscle grew and adapted enzymatically (oxidative enzymes) to stretch, but these responses are dissimilar in twitch and tonic muscles.

Goldspink et al. (19) investigated the effect of passive stretch, electrical stimulation at 10 Hz, and a combination of both stretch and electrical stimulation, on the expression of insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) and the rates of protein turnover and growth of the rabbit extensor digitorum longus muscle. It was found that static stretch caused significant adaptive growth and increases in IGF-I either with or without electrical stimulation, whereas continuous electrical stimulation alone failed to induce muscle growth. Yang et al. (67) studying rabbit's lower limb muscles found that 6 days of passive stretch while immobilized in a plaster cast not only induced an increase in expression of IGF-I messenger RNA (mRNA) but also increased the percentage of fibers expressing slow myosin. This change in muscle phenotype was accompanied by a rapid and marked increase in muscle mass, total RNA content, and IGF-I gene expression.

Unlike the previous studies that used chronic stretching protocols, a study by Coutinho et al. (12), which was conducted on eighteen 16-week-old Wistar rats for 3 weeks, found that stretching the immobilized soleus muscles for 40 minutes every 3 days did prevent the muscle shortening and reduced the magnitude of muscle atrophy as compared with a immobilized-only group (22 ± 40 versus 37 ± 31%, respectively). Furthermore, muscles that were submitted to a stretching-only group significantly increased the length (5 ± 2%), serial sarcomere number (4 ± 4%), and fiber area (16 ± 44%) compared with the contralateral muscles. This study showed that although the stretching was passive, hypertrophy still resulted. Tension is also an important regulator of skeletal muscle hypertrophy in vivo because when increased constant tension is applied to embryonic skeletal muscle fibers differentiated in a tissue culture environment, many of the same biochemical processes associated with muscle hypertrophy in vivo are also stimulated in vitro, for example, protein synthesis, total protein, and myosin heavy-chain accumulation (62).

Although much of the research in this area is from immobilization studies, it can be observed that active and passive stretch can induce changes in cross-sectional area of the muscle (14). Naturally, a muscle is stretched under load during strength training, and the slow tempos recommended for hypertrophic adaptation magnify the time under tension or stretch load. During the rest periods, if the muscles are actively or passively stretched, the additional mechanical stimulus may enhance the hypertrophic effect. This contention obviously needs to be researched in a systematic manner, ensuring that the stretching protocol does not significantly influence the ensuing repetition and set kinematics and kinetics.

bikeswimlive

bikeswimlive

Awards
  • Established
I don't think anyone has mentioned this, and it is very important:

When stretching do not bounce. Move slowly and evenly and then hold.