Bad week or bad bench press?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
It seems I still can not progress on the bench press and seem to decrease in reps. Idk if it's because I had a bad week, because I went down by one rep on the tricep extension also, or because of the pinched nerve in my back from my flat feet or if I'm just not benching correctly. About 2 weeks ago I tried benching 160 I got 10, 8, 6, so I decided to drop the weight to keep it in the 8-12 rep range. The next week at 150 I got 12,10,7 and this week at 150 I got 12,11,5. It doesn't seem to matter what I try to do I always hear this click in my left shoulder. I have a shoulder muscle imbalance and I'm wondering if that's what is preventing me from progressing on the bench, or if my technique is just bad. I do squeeze my shoulder blades together but no matter what I hear that click, except sometimes when I do bench pressing with a close grip. Could I just have my arms out too wide, or could this have something to do with my shoulder imbalance?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Should I just stick with a close grip, or is the bar still too high. I have the bar over nipple lever. Should I try lowing the bar to just below my pecs?

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
check form...how have you eaten this week? diet effects that big time. also, you can lay off of BB bench and go to DB for a while or floor presses to change it up.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
check form...how have you eaten this week? diet effects that big time. also, you can lay off of BB bench and go to DB for a while or floor presses to change it up.
I've been eating more than ever. Maybe it has something to do with my back this week because i felt wore out today and I really need to see the foot doctor and get custom insoles, because my upper back is killing me.

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
It seems I still can not progress on the bench press and seem to decrease in reps. Idk if it's because I had a bad week, because I went down by one rep on the tricep extension also, or because of the pinched nerve in my back from my flat feet or if I'm just not benching correctly. About 2 weeks ago I tried benching 160 I got 10, 8, 6, so I decided to drop the weight to keep it in the 8-12 rep range. The next week at 150 I got 12,10,7 and this week at 150 I got 12,11,5. It doesn't seem to matter what I try to do I always hear this click in my left shoulder. I have a shoulder muscle imbalance and I'm wondering if that's what is preventing me from progressing on the bench, or if my technique is just bad. I do squeeze my shoulder blades together but no matter what I hear that click, except sometimes when I do bench pressing with a close grip. Could I just have my arms out too wide, or could this have something to do with my shoulder imbalance?

1. sometimes people have a bad week due to sleep/overtraining/poor diet/stress... if i deadlift 550 pounds on a friday night, i certainly cant expect to have a tremendous workout saturday or sunday

2. you have a pinched nerve, see a doctor please

3. youre form could be off.. have your feet firmly planted wide on the floor, with your back flat on the bench(dont arch) bring the bar to just below your pec as youre breathing in, and exhale on the way up.. your arms should be just past shoulder width

4. your shoulder clicks, check form... see doctor

5. shoulder muscle imbalance? again.. see doctor.. then find what muscles are out of wack, and train them

6. sometimes a good week off is needed for recovery and healing...

make sure you warm up properly before your workouts... i too have a shoulder with some issues.... ice, rest, sleep, and warming up seem to keep it from getting any worse

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
1. sometimes people have a bad week due to sleep/overtraining/poor diet/stress... if i deadlift 550 pounds on a friday night, i certainly cant expect to have a tremendous workout saturday or sunday

2. you have a pinched nerve, see a doctor please

3. youre form could be off.. have your feet firmly planted wide on the floor, with your back flat on the bench(dont arch) bring the bar to just below your pec as youre breathing in, and exhale on the way up.. your arms should be just past shoulder width

4. your shoulder clicks, check form... see doctor

5. shoulder muscle imbalance? again.. see doctor.. then find what muscles are out of wack, and train them

6. sometimes a good week off is needed for recovery and healing...

make sure you warm up properly before your workouts... i too have a shoulder with some issues.... ice, rest, sleep, and warming up seem to keep it from getting any worse
I did see a doctor. I'm going to see the foot doctor hopefully soon I'll make an appointment tomorrow. THe pain goes away when I have insoles but gets bad again because the insoles wear down.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you can be eating all you want, but if you arent eating right it can give u a terrible workout. go see a doc and report back

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I sort of hate to say it, but derick, have you ever considered that maybe weight training isn't for you? If you want to stay and be in share, maybe a bodyweight exercise routine would give you less issues.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
You do want an arch in your back when benching. If your back is flat it is a similar position as standing with a slouch. Your traps should be well planted and feet where you feel comfortable. I tore Mu shoulder benching with my back flat. My Doctor (sports med doc) during PT corrected the way I benched. I took 18 months off flat bench. Now I have no shoulder issues and maces out at 365 last week at 195 lbs.

You can check out Tates so you think you can bench. Lots of good advice from the guru

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
I was unable to finish my post being at work. Above only stressed form. If you have an injury of any sort please see a doctor and be open and honest with him. When my doc said I couldn't bench I told him never doing flat bench was not an option. Of
course I did what was needed to recover but I didn't lie to him.

Over training may also be a concern. Take a few days off the gym and see oif you notice a difference.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i had shoulder issues doing flat bench. switched to smith, no problems but didnt see any progress. now i do DB flat and floor presses and no problems with shoulder. try that.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I sort of hate to say it, but derick, have you ever considered that maybe weight training isn't for you? If you want to stay and be in share, maybe a bodyweight exercise routine would give you less issues.
Don't tell me that man I'll get depressed. I'm taking afew days off and I'm going to lower the weight and focus on form. I don't seem to hear the click with the close grip bench and I noticed that the bar is alittle lower, so next time I wide bench I'm going to have the bar lower, because the bar being higher up I think is putting pressure on my shoulders. This would explain why I'm progressing on the close grip bench but not the wide grip bench. I'll let you guys know next week how it goes.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Tested the bench today. I did lighter weight and I did it more controlled and slow. I fixed my technique and I didn't feel pressure on my shoulder or pain, but I still got the click. Now I know I need to do some rotary cuff work and I have been doing scaptions and I am unable to do shoulder dislocation stretches. Is that click ok, if there is no pain or still not good? I know how to stop the shoulder pain now but not the click. The click doesnt happen in my injured shoulder either, it happens in my left shoulder. I should point out that I have minor scoliosis and my right shoulder used to be visible higher than my left.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
Are you trying to bulk? If so why so many reps?

monsterbox

monsterbox

Awards
  • Established
stop caring so much about bench. I have overdeveloped pecs, almost disproportional and my weakest lift is bench press. Do deadlifts, squats, dips, incline db press, or flat db presses, and do some fly's. You dont need to be good at benching to be a big/strong. Its all an ego show.

When people ask me how much i bench, i reply 135 for 40 reps. Its the most obscessed lift in the world and it pisses me off. I think its one of the least productive chest builders, and the prob the most dangerous lift if the form isn't perfect.

Grab some DB's man.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
stop caring so much about bench. I have overdeveloped pecs, almost disproportional and my weakest lift is bench press. Do deadlifts, squats, dips, incline db press, or flat db presses, and do some fly's. You dont need to be good at benching to be a big/strong. Its all an ego show.
I somewhat agree. Incline should be your main chest exercise. To the OP What other ways do you train chest? It could be that your auxillary muscles that are causing a low bench.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I somewhat agree. Incline should be your main chest exercise. To the OP What other ways do you train chest? It could be that your auxillary muscles that are causing a low bench.
My chest is big, not huge, but it sticks out. I have a 44" chest. Also I do close grip bench for triceps along with laying tricep extensions. The click doesn't happen as much with close grip. I train chest with triceps.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
My chest is big, not huge, but it sticks out. I have a 44" chest. Also I do close grip bench for triceps along with laying tricep extensions. The click doesn't happen as much with close grip. I train chest with triceps.
Ok. What are your other chest routines?

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
I think decline is best for chest and easiest on the shoulders......

As far as grip width, stand up straight, close your eyes, and push your arms straight out....that should be the most "naturalist" width for ya. Keep elbows close as to not strain the shoulders....squeeze blades, push with feet...breath...I think that's how you do it :D

But I would try some decline or incline, see how that feels.

And nobody is going to gain EVERY week....if that were so we'd be benching dump trucks.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Ok. What are your other chest routines?
Set 1 - Back and Bis
Barbell Row
Deadlift
curls
Hammer curls

Set 2 - Chest and Tris

Bench
Db Lying Triceps Extension
close grip bench

Set 3 - Legs

front squat
calf raises
stiff leg deadlift

Set 4 - Shoulders
scaption
lateral raises
rear delt flys
shrugs

Day 1: back/bi's
Day 2: chest/tri's
Day 3: off
Day 4: legs
Day 5: shoulders
Day 6: off
Day 7: off

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
Set 1 - Back and Bis
Barbell Row
Deadlift
curls
Hammer curls

Set 2 - Chest and Tris

Bench
Db Lying Triceps Extension
close grip bench

Set 3 - Legs

front squat
calf raises
stiff leg deadlift

Set 4 - Shoulders
scaption
lateral raises
rear delt flys
shrugs

Day 1: back/bi's
Day 2: chest/tri's
Day 3: off
Day 4: legs
Day 5: shoulders
Day 6: off
Day 7: off
So you only do one thing for your chest is what this says?

Here my chest workout, stictly chest.
Flat Bench
Incline Bench
Weighted Dips
Heavier DB Flys, close to chest upon lowering
Light DB Flys, traditional
Cable Crossovers

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
So you only do one thing for your chest is what this says?

Here my chest workout, stictly chest.
Flat Bench
Incline Bench
Weighted Dips
Heavier DB Flys, close to chest upon lowering
Light DB Flys, traditional
Cable Crossovers
I stopped doing alot of front delt work because of my shoulder imbalance that's why I'm not doing alot of chest work.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
I stopped doing alot of front delt work because of my shoulder imbalance that's why I'm not doing alot of chest work.
Switch to DB routines, but you should still be doing more then just flat benching. Or even try going with lighter weight and build back up with better form.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Switch to DB routines, but you should still be doing more then just flat benching. Or even try going with lighter weight and build back up with better form.
Is there any other shoulder exercises I should include to help my shoulders or are those enough? I was thinking if I can bench with a close grip without a problem and progress, could I just close grip bench and do a wider grip on incline or decline. I'd like to add flys back in my workout anyway I was just concerned I needed to lay off as much front delt work as possible until my side and rear delts got stronger. I'm starting to think my close grip bench is at regular bench grip and my wide grip might be too wide. On my close grip I can feel it in the triceps more but its not a super close grip.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
Is there any other shoulder exercises I should include to help my shoulders or are those enough? I was thinking if I can bench with a close grip without a problem and progress, could I just close grip bench and do a wider grip on incline or decline. I'd like to add flys back in my workout anyway I was just concerned I needed to lay off as much front delt work as possible until my side and rear delts got stronger. I'm starting to think my close grip bench is at regular bench grip and my wide grip might be too wide. On my close grip I can feel it in the triceps more but its not a super close grip.
Your close grip is probably close grip. You would know the difference. Most bars have a marker, but if your arms are roughly shoulder width apart then they are where they should be to isolate your chest. Close grip bench is a tricept workout, with some chest involvement, but nothing compared to regular benching. Why don't you switch to dumbells for a while. Do DB flat bench, incline, decline. On shoulder day you can do DB seated presses. Dumbells leave more asymetrical independence, meaning there is no real middle balance point, so each side will be able to compensate on its own. If you start to notice one shoulder is weaker then the other, then you will know what you have to do.

As far as progression goes do you do squats, deadlifts, shoulder presses, weekly?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Your close grip is probably close grip. You would know the difference. Most bars have a marker, but if your arms are roughly shoulder width apart then they are where they should be to isolate your chest. Close grip bench is a tricept workout, with some chest involvement, but nothing compared to regular benching. Why don't you switch to dumbells for a while. Do DB flat bench, incline, decline. On shoulder day you can do DB seated presses. Dumbells leave more asymetrical independence, meaning there is no real middle balance point, so each side will be able to compensate on its own. If you start to notice one shoulder is weaker then the other, then you will know what you have to do.

As far as progression goes do you do squats, deadlifts, shoulder presses, weekly?
yes but I do front squats and no back squats. They were hurting my neck bad, because of my shoulders being pushed forward. As long as I can go back to benching and overhead press I won't feel so bad. It just sucks I was so close to 200 and kept going down.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
yes but I do front squats and no back squats. They were hurting my neck bad, because of my shoulders being pushed forward. As long as I can go back to benching and overhead press I won't feel so bad. It just sucks I was so close to 200 and kept going down.
People recommend switching routines every 6 weeks to solve the muscle memory problem. Maybe this was just your bodies way of telling you it needed a change. Look at it as a positive, you will get back there, and surpass it.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
People recommend switching routines every 6 weeks to solve the muscle memory problem. Maybe this was just your bodies way of telling you it needed a change. Look at it as a positive, you will get back there, and surpass it.
Well I'll try inclined with the bar once and if it clicks I'll just stick to dumbbells. I do notice that its not very easy to keep my shoulder blades together. Not that I can't do it, but it feels awkward. Would I still have to concentrate on having the shoulder blades together with the incline bench press and flat db press? Also I do my lateral raises starting with the dbs in front of my thighs rather than at my sides. I find it's alot easier for me. Oh, should I just stop doing close grip benching right now? Do I need another tricep exercise besides tricep extensions? I just got a lat bar from a friend, but itll be awhile until I can set it up. It needs to be modified to fit my bench if it'll even work.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
Well I'll try inclined with the bar once and if it clicks I'll just stick to dumbbells. I do notice that its not very easy to keep my shoulder blades together. Not that I can't do it, but it feels awkward. Would I still have to concentrate on having the shoulder blades together with the incline bench press and flat db press? Also I do my lateral raises starting with the dbs in front of my thighs rather than at my sides. I find it's alot easier for me. Oh, should I just stop doing close grip benching right now? Do I need another tricep exercise besides tricep extensions? I just got a lat bar from a friend, but itll be awhile until I can set it up. It needs to be modified to fit my bench if it'll even work.
You can use dumbells for incline too, switch to all dumbells for a while and see how you feel. Don't focus on holding your shoulderblades together if it feels wierd. Good form is different for each individual and you have to be comfortable as you push the weight. Try a few different ways with light weight and see what feels best for you. I am constantly in the mirror at the gym "shadow lifting" to see how something might feel and what muscle group it isolates. No shame in using lighter weights, it just builds a better base. As far as shoulder extensions go, try seated. Sit on a bench, with back support straight up, and do your forward and side expensions. You wont be able to use heavy weight, but you will be working the muscle just as good, if not better. Seated is pure isolation.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
DB flat, BB incline, DB incline fly....there ya go

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
First you need to get your shoulders straight. Start doing rotator cuff exercises like external rotations. I always do them before I bench. One or two sets of 20 to 25 reps are good. Also if your shoulders hurt you should learn to bench like a powerlifter. Keep your shoulders locked and tight before you even start. Keep them in that position the entire time. This will probably help get rid of your shoulder pain plus increase your bench. Also learn to flex your lats while benching.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
thats what I would suggest too.
I did that yesterday and it worked quite well, but I still had clicks in my left shoulder, even while using dumbbells, but I had no shoulder pain and the clicking wasn't as strong or loud as before. My shoulders actually felt good after the incline press.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the clicking isn't a good sign, but a lack of pain is. I'd say go with that for a few weeks, and see how it works out.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
The best way I can describe it, is before it felt like something was grinding in my shoulder and now it feels like something is kind of loosing, like something is tight.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established

When people ask me how much i bench, i reply 135 for 40 reps. Its the most obscessed lift in the world and it pisses me off. I think its one of the least productive chest builders, and the prob the most dangerous lift if the form isn't perfect.

Grab some DB's man.
:goodpost:

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys if I do db shoulder presses, does the bench have to be at a complete 90 degree angle? My bench doesn't go up to a complete 90 degrees more like 80 degrees. I'd still like to go back to standing overhead press once my shoulder imbalance goes away but right now I'll stick with the dumbbell press, provided I can do them with my bench.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
That entire set up looks way too small for you. Your grips are not near wide enough. You need to go to a real gym and not a basement home gym.
No money man, I'm living off of ssi and food stamps right now and I can't drive.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
No money man, I'm living off of ssi and food stamps right now and I can't drive.
Well the first video made it look too small. The second one makes it look alright. It's good to find a suitable workout that fits in your life. I'm not knocking it, it just looked like the equipment wasn't the right size for you, but then again the second video gives a different impression.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Well the first video made it look too small. The second one makes it look alright. It's good to find a suitable workout that fits in your life. I'm not knocking it, it just looked like the equipment wasn't the right size for you, but then again the second video gives a different impression.
So does the second vid look ok?

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
So does the second vid look ok?
You need to space your hands wider, not by too much though. You have a bigger core, and long arms, which make it seem odd appearing. You also may be one of those guys who benefits from bringing the bar about in inch from your chest, as lowest point seems to pit your arms/shoulders too far down.

It also looks as if your left shoulder and arm are in closer then the right, are you guarding that shoulder from pain? Your body is totally asymetrical, which could be why you are having that shoulder issue.

Just watched it again. That left shoulder is stressing downward and the left arm is in too close, which makes it look like you couldn't fit in that bench. So you need to work on the form on the left side.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
You need to space your hands wider, not by too much though. You have a bigger core, and long arms, which make it seem odd appearing. You also may be one of those guys who benefits from bringing the bar about in inch from your chest, as lowest point seems to pit your arms/shoulders too far down.

It also looks as if your left shoulder and arm are in closer then the right, are you guarding that shoulder from pain? Your body is totally asymetrical, which could be why you are having that shoulder issue.

Just watched it again. That left shoulder is stressing downward and the left arm is in too close, which makes it look like you couldn't fit in that bench. So you need to work on the form on the left side.
I have slight scoliosis, which might be why it's like that I'm guessing. The thing I don't like about the bench is that the bench part and the squat part are separate. It's convenient, since I don't have a squat rack, but a real pain to align everything up.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I did my bench work outs today and had no clicks. It seems on the incline if I'm about an inch above my chest there isn't any clicks, but if I go lower there is. I'm still not 100% sure on my hand placement on the bench but I'm doing much better since I don't hear the click or feel any cracking in either of my shoulders. I could feel my triceps any biceps getting sore on the incline press.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
What do you guys think about me doing front raises until my shoulder imbalance and tendinitis goes away? I can't do db shoulder presses at the moment because I don't have a chair to use for them and my bench doesn't go up to 90 degrees.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Bump. I want to know about those front raises. Okay to do them? Yay or nay?

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
Your grip is too narrow. Focus on a good flat bench first and maybe add in some db inclines.Your arms should be at a grip where they form a 90 degree angle. Also expand your chest. What is your diet and sleep pattern like?

For shoulders use dbs for overhead presses just to 90 and up and add military presses and alternate arnold or bthnp to 90.