Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.11%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Hey guys if I do db shoulder presses, does the bench have to be at a complete 90 degree angle? My bench doesn't go up to a complete 90 degrees more like 80 degrees. I'd still like to go back to standing overhead press once my shoulder imbalance goes away but right now I'll stick with the dumbbell press, provided I can do them with my bench.

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.11%

Quote Originally Posted by CaponeCEO View Post
    That entire set up looks way too small for you. Your grips are not near wide enough. You need to go to a real gym and not a basement home gym.
    No money man, I'm living off of ssi and food stamps right now and I can't drive.
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.92%

Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    No money man, I'm living off of ssi and food stamps right now and I can't drive.
    Well the first video made it look too small. The second one makes it look alright. It's good to find a suitable workout that fits in your life. I'm not knocking it, it just looked like the equipment wasn't the right size for you, but then again the second video gives a different impression.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.11%

Well the first video made it look too small. The second one makes it look alright. It's good to find a suitable workout that fits in your life. I'm not knocking it, it just looked like the equipment wasn't the right size for you, but then again the second video gives a different impression.
    So does the second vid look ok?
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.92%

So does the second vid look ok?
    You need to space your hands wider, not by too much though. You have a bigger core, and long arms, which make it seem odd appearing. You also may be one of those guys who benefits from bringing the bar about in inch from your chest, as lowest point seems to pit your arms/shoulders too far down.

It also looks as if your left shoulder and arm are in closer then the right, are you guarding that shoulder from pain? Your body is totally asymetrical, which could be why you are having that shoulder issue.

Just watched it again. That left shoulder is stressing downward and the left arm is in too close, which makes it look like you couldn't fit in that bench. So you need to work on the form on the left side.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.11%

You need to space your hands wider, not by too much though. You have a bigger core, and long arms, which make it seem odd appearing. You also may be one of those guys who benefits from bringing the bar about in inch from your chest, as lowest point seems to pit your arms/shoulders too far down.

It also looks as if your left shoulder and arm are in closer then the right, are you guarding that shoulder from pain? Your body is totally asymetrical, which could be why you are having that shoulder issue.

Just watched it again. That left shoulder is stressing downward and the left arm is in too close, which makes it look like you couldn't fit in that bench. So you need to work on the form on the left side.
    I have slight scoliosis, which might be why it's like that I'm guessing. The thing I don't like about the bench is that the bench part and the squat part are separate. It's convenient, since I don't have a squat rack, but a real pain to align everything up.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.11%

I did my bench work outs today and had no clicks. It seems on the incline if I'm about an inch above my chest there isn't any clicks, but if I go lower there is. I'm still not 100% sure on my hand placement on the bench but I'm doing much better since I don't hear the click or feel any cracking in either of my shoulders. I could feel my triceps any biceps getting sore on the incline press.
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.11%

What do you guys think about me doing front raises until my shoulder imbalance and tendinitis goes away? I can't do db shoulder presses at the moment because I don't have a chair to use for them and my bench doesn't go up to 90 degrees.
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.11%

Bump. I want to know about those front raises. Okay to do them? Yay or nay?
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  238 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.65%

Your grip is too narrow. Focus on a good flat bench first and maybe add in some db inclines.Your arms should be at a grip where they form a 90 degree angle. Also expand your chest. What is your diet and sleep pattern like?

For shoulders use dbs for overhead presses just to 90 and up and add military presses and alternate arnold or bthnp to 90.
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.11%

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktail View Post
    Your grip is too narrow. Focus on a good flat bench first and maybe add in some db inclines.Your arms should be at a grip where they form a 90 degree angle. Also expand your chest. What is your diet and sleep pattern like?

For shoulders use dbs for overhead presses just to 90 and up and add military presses and alternate arnold or bthnp to 90.
    My shoulders are imbalanced right now. I can't effectively push the bar overhead correctly right now. I can't even do shoulder dislocation stretches right now.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  238 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.65%

My shoulders are imbalanced right now. I can't effectively push the bar overhead correctly right now. I can't even do shoulder dislocation stretches right now.
    Start light even if it is with the bar and stretch every day. Use db's in the place of bar movements. Have your GF massage you every day as well.
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.11%

Start light even if it is with the bar and stretch every day. Use db's in the place of bar movements. Have your GF massage you every day as well.
    I can't use dumbbells unless I can do the exercise standing with dumbbells. I don't have a chair with a flat back I can use and my bench doesn't go up to 90 degrees, so I'd wind up doing some form of extreme incline db bench press. I would ultimately like to go back to standing overhead presses though. That's why I was asking about front raises. Whats the deal with front raises though, how come no one does them?
  14. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.64%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Why do you need your back supported to be sitting? I'll do seated exercises on a flat bench if that's all that's available
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  238 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.65%

I can't use dumbbells unless I can do the exercise standing with dumbbells. I don't have a chair with a flat back I can use and my bench doesn't go up to 90 degrees, so I'd wind up doing some form of extreme incline db bench press. I would ultimately like to go back to standing overhead presses though. That's why I was asking about front raises. Whats the deal with front raises though, how come no one does them?
    yes do them standing then, whatever it takes. No one does front raises because the front delt is the most overworked muscle on your body.
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.11%

yes do them standing then, whatever it takes. No one does front raises because the front delt is the most overworked muscle on your body.
    Oh okay. I did front raises just to see how they felt. I did very light weight (20lbs) and I noticed if I go more then just a little past parallel my shoulders crack. I also noticed that I have really tight biceps. I'll try the presses with dumbbells standing next week but hopefully in a few months I can start doing them with the bar. It just seems the more weight I add on curls the tighter my biceps get, even though I have been stretching them.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Bench Press Help
    By Swanson52 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-09-2013, 02:13 AM
  2. bench press
    By at1010 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-20-2009, 06:53 PM
  3. MAX BENCH PRESS
    By Wolfe08 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 4