Can anyone suggest me a "5x5" split for bodybuilding?

dexterfan

Awards
Hi all,

I'm 23 6' 185lbs around 10% bf. Best lift is deadlift 440lbs, once did 400lbs full squat in my weightlifting peak days but this bodybuilding stuff has ruined my leg strength probably because of the high volume low frequency (once a week VS 4 times a week during weightlifting) Bench sucks, i'm doing it with 60kg the "bodybuilding way" (slow motions "pec contraction")

Did about 5 years of olympic style weightlifting which gave me solid leg and back strength

Quit because of several reasons and switched to bodybuilding one year ago.

I joined a buddy who does the typical 4 days a week seemingly overkill in volume, and too low frequency typical bodybuilding routine

I expected to gain less strength on this than my weightlifting stuff but at least some and a lot of size

Well I pretty much decreased in strength and look the same

I think this stuff doesn't work unless ur chemically enhanced or genetically gifted

So I heard about 5x5 is supposed to be effective for people who are natural and want to get big and strong

I'm not a powerlifter tho and wish to have an alround developped physique, not the dreaded "t rex" look people supposedly get from programs such as starting strength

Can anyone draw out a routine for me?

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hi all,

I'm 23 6' 185lbs around 10% bf. Best lift is deadlift 440lbs, once did 400lbs full squat in my weightlifting peak days but this bodybuilding stuff has ruined my leg strength probably because of the high volume low frequency (once a week VS 4 times a week during weightlifting) Bench sucks, i'm doing it with 60kg the "bodybuilding way" (slow motions "pec contraction")

Did about 5 years of olympic style weightlifting which gave me solid leg and back strength

Quit because of several reasons and switched to bodybuilding one year ago.

I joined a buddy who does the typical 4 days a week seemingly overkill in volume, and too low frequency typical bodybuilding routine

I expected to gain less strength on this than my weightlifting stuff but at least some and a lot of size

Well I pretty much decreased in strength and look the same

I think this stuff doesn't work unless ur chemically enhanced or genetically gifted

So I heard about 5x5 is supposed to be effective for people who are natural and want to get big and strong

I'm not a powerlifter tho and wish to have an alround developped physique, not the dreaded "t rex" look people supposedly get from programs such as starting strength

Can anyone draw out a routine for me?
IMO is the Best Program for Strength

http://stronglifts.com/

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If your losing strenght your overdoing it. If size and strenght is what your looking for maybe try one of the modified west side routines. Another one you could look into is DC training. I've never done it but many like it. It is a bodybuilding routine based on low volume high intensity training. Even though its for bodybuilding it is suppose to also be great for strength gains. I have no expereince with the stronglifts program but looked at the program breifley. I don't think it would be ideal for bodybulding since the only work your biceps would get would be from rows. I personally find arms respond best to twice a week training. I actually get better arm development on westside than I did a classic bodybuilding 5 day split where I only trained arms once every 5 or 6 days.

dexterfan

Awards
If your losing strenght your overdoing it. If size and strenght is what your looking for maybe try one of the modified west side routines. Another one you could look into is DC training. I've never done it but many like it. It is a bodybuilding routine based on low volume high intensity training. Even though its for bodybuilding it is suppose to also be great for strength gains. I have no expereince with the stronglifts program but looked at the program breifley. I don't think it would be ideal for bodybulding since the only work your biceps would get would be from rows. I personally find arms respond best to twice a week training. I actually get better arm development on westside than I did a classic bodybuilding 5 day split where I only trained arms once every 5 or 6 days.
west side routines, isn't that the stuff with chains and elastic bands etc? seems a bit bizarre no

dexterfan

Awards
yes man you will see ;)
ok sounds great, i'm fed up with these high volume, low frequency workouts killing my strength

yet they make you sore as hell

p.s. can you summarize your own experiences and gains on this program?

dexterfan

Awards
IMO is the Best Program for Strength

[stronglifts.com
i checked the "success stories" on that website and there's not a single one that really impressed me :(

well... maybe I can be a success story :D

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i checked the "success stories" on that website and there's not a single one that really impressed me :(

well... maybe I can be a success story :D
5/3/1: The Simplest and Most Effective Training System to Increase Raw Strength By Jim Wendler

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
ok sounds great, i'm fed up with these high volume, low frequency workouts killing my strength

yet they make you sore as hell

p.s. can you summarize your own experiences and gains on this program?
I`m only use this program NOT for gains but for mantain my muscle mass during a strict diet like AD but in overall is a Great program some "old school"
Bodybuilders has use it.

dexterfan

Awards
5/3/1: The Simplest and Most Effective Training System to Increase Raw Strength By Jim Wendler
so hey, are you saying I should do stronglifts, madcow or 531?

Sort of confused now

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
I don't know what's best but what's been working for me (after many years of experimentation ...)

I work out every weekday ...

Monday: Heavy Chest and Shoulders (aiming for max weight for 6 to 8 reps pref 6)
Tuesday: Light Back (aiming for 12 to 15 reps)
Wednesday: Heavy Squat and Deadlift / Quads day - I just punish the lower body but I work "up" and "down" on the weight.
Thursday: Heavy Back (max weight for 6-8 reps)
Friday: Light Chest (12-15 rep sets)

So I go one heavy day on chest and back and one light. Seems to work for me. On the "light" days - I like to do drop sets - which is prolly something that's just stuck with me since the 80's. I like to do drops with DB's of course.

Also - I will add - I don't do isolation moves - only compound moves. I don't do bicep curls or work out my biceps at all - they work with my back. The only isolation I do I suppose is "shoulders" but I do DB flies here and military press and I don't really consider that isolation moves specifically.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
I would also recommend 5/3/1 basically because it is straightforward with the progressions clearly planned out for you. You also have the flexibility to customize the assistance work to a certain extent to fit your needs. If you do well with greater SQ frequency then do squats as your assistance work on DL day so you get some SQ work in some fashion a couple times a week. You can also do a little more volume of assistance work on your upper body days (BP and overhead press) to build some size if you are lacking there.
The other programs mentioned here are also good, I just like 5/3/1 because you have the flexibility to customize it a bit more without losing the original intent of the program.

gidemon

Banned
Awards
just look into dc training..after 15 years of trying everything i found dc and to me its perfect...but thats me

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't know what's best but what's been working for me (after many years of experimentation ...)

I work out every weekday ...

Monday: Heavy Chest and Shoulders (aiming for max weight for 6 to 8 reps pref 6)
Tuesday: Light Back (aiming for 12 to 15 reps)
Wednesday: Heavy Squat and Deadlift / Quads day - I just punish the lower body but I work "up" and "down" on the weight.
Thursday: Heavy Back (max weight for 6-8 reps)
Friday: Light Chest (12-15 rep sets)

So I go one heavy day on chest and back and one light. Seems to work for me. On the "light" days - I like to do drop sets - which is prolly something that's just stuck with me since the 80's. I like to do drops with DB's of course.

Also - I will add - I don't do isolation moves - only compound moves. I don't do bicep curls or work out my biceps at all - they work with my back. The only isolation I do I suppose is "shoulders" but I do DB flies here and military press and I don't really consider that isolation moves specifically.

so did you not take a OFF DAY?

benjiman

Banned
Awards
  • Established
so did anybody ever give this guy a work out routine? or did i miss it i am looking for one myself but i feel i am to new and out of shape for dc traninng.

gidemon

Banned
Awards
so did anybody ever give this guy a work out routine? or did i miss it i am looking for one myself but i feel i am to new and out of shape for dc traninng.
never know unless you try

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think there are better programs out there than 5x5 for bodybuilding.

Now, some people are gifted in that it doesn't really matter what type of routine they're doing (considering it's not ridiculous) and they'll make gains and have an asthetic physique. Also I'd like to make a point that there is a big difference in "gaining mass" and "building a physique" if we're talking about asthetics. You need muscle to make a phyqiue, but as far as making the best shape out of what nature gave you, it's all about technique and strategy.

benjiman

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think there are better programs out there than 5x5 for bodybuild

you say you think they are better programs for bodybuilding.what are some?and yes like you say i am interrested in doing more than just adding mass only.