the big three for a beginner?

rckmrz86

Awards
i read that when you first start working out to include squats.dead lifts, and bench press in every workout three times a week. can someone tell me if this is a good idea

believer

believer

Awards
  • Established
i read that when you first start working out to include squats.dead lifts, and bench press in every workout three times a week. can someone tell me if this is a good idea
my advice is to get a copy of mark rippetoe's 'starting strength' and follow it to a t. plenty of places where you can get a free download.
good luck, and don't forget to eat, eat, eat.

drvinnybombat

Awards
Simply put, yes. But, You can replace Bench with incline or shoulder press. The best option is a standing overhead press or push press. You can also supplement deads with rows or high pulls, but I think deadlifts are the best option. Just do the squats though, no leg press.

Rippetoes routines or simply doing Squats, Deads, and overhead press / bench press mix while increasing weight are much better than what many beginners end up doing.

I can also make a case that CrossFit is equally effective, but this is a totally different approach to working out.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Definitely include squats, deadlifts, and bench press. I don;t know about doing them three times a week - for a beginner that might be a little much, especially if one is lifting heavy.

It also depends on what your goals and needs are - whether you are aiming for mass, strength, or fat loss on what kind of split you would do and how often you would include specific exercises. If you are asking about the three powerlifting moves, I would assume primarily strength, with some mass (and if I am wrong, I apologize).

Review the articles How To Maximize Mass Through Weights And Adaptation and The Essential 8 (even though this one is in the fat loss section, the same exercises that are best for fat loss are also the best for gaining muscle and strength) for an idea of how to train correctly for mass/strength.

If you are a beginner, then I recommend having a training programme (AND nutrition plan - can't forget your nutrition, since that's what is going to make or break your success with gaining muscle mass!) written specifically for YOU for your goals and needs. If you can't afford a professional trainer, then take some time out to research and look around, because there is a TON of information out there!

~Rosie~

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
what you are trying to ask, i think, is if the 5x5 workout is good for a beginner. if so, then yes. very good for beginner. just remember diet is everything.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
bikeswimlive

bikeswimlive

Awards
  • Established
my advice is to get a copy of mark rippetoe's 'starting strength' and follow it to a t. plenty of places where you can get a free download.
good luck, and don't forget to eat, eat, eat.
That is an awesome book. Reps.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the best bodybuilding book i have personally read is arnolds book. love it, own it.

blackcj7

blackcj7

Awards
Starting strength would be a good program just make sure you are properly trained before you start and start with lighter weights then you want till you get comfortable with the movements.

If you can, find someone CSCS certified to walk you through the techniques. You might even be able to contact a local college and have them train you. I know my course work in college required me to train individuals under the supervision of my professor.

The Neck

The Neck

Awards
  • Established
Wouldn't hurt to look into Wendler's 5/3/1 also.

rckmrz86

Awards
how is this

mon-
squat 3x5
bench 3x5
deadlift 2x5
dumb bell incline press 3x10
one arm db bent over row 3x10

tues
cardio
core

wed
squat 3x5
bench press 3x5
deadlift 2x5
pull up 3x as as much as i can
dumbell shoulder press 3x10

thurs
cardio
core

fri
squat 3x5
bench press 3x5
deadlift 2x5
overhead squat 3x10
romian deadlift 3x10

i know iam a beginner so i wont go as heavy as i can until week 3 or four. iam gonna warm up alot with every big lift until i can put more weight and still keep my form. i have a great nutrition plan and i have been reading alot on this subject for like 6 weeks now.
i just want to have good strength and cardio for the fire academy. i also let my self go and iam ready to stop drinking beer and eating pizza all the time so ya let me know what you think. and o ya i try todo everything in like 45 min.

blackcj7

blackcj7

Awards
I wouldn't bench 3x a week alternate bench with military press each workout
Workout 1 Bench
Workout 2 Military Press
Workout 3 Bench
Workout 4 Military Press
etc....

Working bench that often usually can be counter productive

The Neck

The Neck

Awards
  • Established
Here's another split (Core Work);

-Military Press

-Squat

-Bench

-Deads

rckmrz86

Awards
ok thanks for the advise ill switch up the bench and ill let you know how it works

dday39

Awards
probably shouldn't deadlift with every workout and unless you're overweight, drop the cardio

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
how is this

mon-
squat 3x5
bench 3x5
deadlift 2x5
dumb bell incline press 3x10
one arm db bent over row 3x10

tues
cardio
core

wed
squat 3x5
bench press 3x5
deadlift 2x5
pull up 3x as as much as i can
dumbell shoulder press 3x10

thurs
cardio
core

fri
squat 3x5
bench press 3x5
deadlift 2x5
overhead squat 3x10
romian deadlift 3x10

i know iam a beginner so i wont go as heavy as i can until week 3 or four. iam gonna warm up alot with every big lift until i can put more weight and still keep my form. i have a great nutrition plan and i have been reading alot on this subject for like 6 weeks now.
i just want to have good strength and cardio for the fire academy. i also let my self go and iam ready to stop drinking beer and eating pizza all the time so ya let me know what you think. and o ya i try todo everything in like 45 min.
All 5x5 for these lifts

Mon - Bench, Squat, Deads

Wed - Shoulder Press, Rows, BB curl, Weighted Dips

Friday - Incline, Squat, Deads

All the other days of the week rest and EAT. Depending on your goals, your diet will be different than for others. also, if your goals require cardio, then keep it. if it doesnt, and you are just doing it for fun, then cut the cardio (if you are bulking). you can warm up on the bike. If you want to bulk, but also to cardio, your diet needs to be in place for this. what supplements are you on/planning to take if any?