EXPLOSION

SilverBullet7

Awards
I was looking to change my routine to an explosion routine. Im looking for help for a good routine hitting all parts. Im looking to do this because i train mma and have a match scheduled. I understand the concept of training for explosion however i cant possibly picture a routine hitting arms for explosion...torquing a dumbell curl would be...yeah so im looking for a good routine. Any suggestions?

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You really should be focused on training your various energy pathways. If the fight is coming up I would cut back on the weights and add in more skill sessions. Nothing is going to transfer over better than actually rolling around with someone.

SilverBullet7

Awards
The fight is set . I have an opponent and weight no set date yet so i want to work on wieghts as well still. I give my weight training huge credit in my fighting. Although you are right. No better training then rolling.

jgassen15

jgassen15

Awards
When I incorporate weights, I try to live by two principles: Power or conditioning. You start getting in bodybuilding rep range you'll feel the fatigue when you roll, but especially when you work standup. Also, the pump you get from lifitng isn't necessarily inductive to success in an actual fight, if anything it can be debilitating. That, and injury prevention is why you hear of fighters working more cardio and strictly skill training the closer the fight gets, along with plenty of prehabilitative work. I second JudoJosh, you can't reproduce the kind of conditioning you get from actually rolling/sparring or the way you can functionalize and capitalize on the strength you get from the gym. I know plenty of guys that can toss iron around all day and make me look silly with weights but when we start rolling I feel like I'm twice their size.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The fight is set . I have an opponent and weight no set date yet so i want to work on wieghts as well still. I give my weight training huge credit in my fighting. Although you are right. No better training then rolling.
How far away is it?

SilverBullet7

Awards
The fight is like 14-15 weeks. And my weight is fine so cutting wont be a problem. This is my first mma fight ive had 2 boxing bouts before but want to get my explosion up for this.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
You need to think in terms of training compound lifts involving large portions of your overall muscle mass, not about training "arms". Power in MMA and athletics is largely based on the lower body and midsection and then translated through the shoulders and arms. Thus you aren't going to improve your punching power by weight training for your arms, but by strengthening your legs and midsection. Use the weight work to make the muscle stronger and use specific skill practice to learn to apply that strength to your sport. You could also add some jumps, medicine ball throws, and even explosive push-ups to increase your power output.