Anyone else feel there back rounds easier with a trap bar?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I usually don't wear a belt and I deadlift, front squat and stiff leg deadlift belt-less. However, I find when I do calf raises and shrugs with the trap bar, as I lower the weight back down to the floor it seems some what awkward and easier to round my back. I like doing shrugs with the trap bar, so I might just wear a belt when I do shrugs. Anyone else have this problem when using a trap bar vs. using a regular barbell?

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
I don't have a trap bar, but it sounds like flexibility issued at the bottom. Similar to how some people end up raising their heals when squatting to or below parallel. Do you keep your hips high when you lower the weight?

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
All good suggestions Fadi.

Also a powerlifter once taught me "chest out." It helps me with form for almost all of my lifts, and might be something that you could easily implement with your trap bar.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I don't have a trap bar, but it sounds like flexibility issued at the bottom. Similar to how some people end up raising their heals when squatting to or below parallel. Do you keep your hips high when you lower the weight?
Maybe, I do notice a tendency to lean forward with the trap bar, as opposed to the barbell.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I think part of the reason is with the barbell where the bar is against my legs, I can kind of use that as a guide, if that makes sense. I didn't feel any pain in my back when I did deadlifts this weak, but I did feel my glutes getting very sore.