Suggestions on body weight exercises?

gaijininjapan

Awards
  • Established
So my gym is closed for winter vacation... 12/29~1/7 Great...

So any suggestions for home bodyweight workouts? I have a rickety pull-up bar at my disposal, but that's about it. I was thinking about doing some wide stance pushups to target the chest, and then some narrow elbows pinned to the body pushups to target tris. Then some pullups and chinups to get the back, lats, and biceps.

For lower body, I was thinking of doing some skiing conditioning exercises (jumping over a box from left to right and back, repeatedly).

Any other suggestions?

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
Two suggestions:

1. I used to go to a school gym that closed for holiday break and I simply went to a local gym and asked them to sell me a one-week membership. This is a dead week in the gym (between xmas and new year) so most gyms are more than happy to give you a deal on just this week. Give them the impression you MIGHT switch to their gym permanently.

2. Look into the full body plate workout.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

So any suggestions for home bodyweight workouts? I have a rickety pull-up bar at my disposal, but that's about it. I was thinking about doing some wide stance pushups to target the chest, and then some narrow elbows pinned to the body pushups to target tris. Then some pullups and chinups to get the back, lats, and biceps.

For lower body, I was thinking of doing some skiing conditioning exercises (jumping over a box from left to right and back, repeatedly).

Any other suggestions?
I have posted this article twice already - it does pay to look around a little, for example, http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/166140-exercise-home.html - but will do it again.

You can do a LOT of exercises - here is an article with quite a few examples (you can also print this article out).

The Emergency Workout: Don’t have time to go to the gym?
Train at home with an improvised session . . .

Written by Rosie Chee Scott, BExSpSc
28 May 2010

Introduction

No matter how well we manage our time or schedule in training sessions, there are going to be days when everything doesn’t go as planned, and we find ourselves with no time for the gym. So, what do we do? We want to train – we know we need to. But what can we do? We can’t spare the time to drive to and from the gym, and then spend a whole hour doing cardio, followed by a resistance session, followed by stretching, before a shower and the drive home. There’s a quick and easy, simple solution: Train at home. That’s right – have a list of different workouts that you can do at home. Adjust and improvise, and you can have an intense quality session done and complete in as little as 10-20 minutes!

So, how do you know what to do? Depending on what falls on that particular day, you can design and create myriad workouts to achieve the same thing you would do in the gym. The key to home programmes are effectiveness and efficiency in shorter time – make your sessions short and intense.

Activities and Exercises

There are a variety of activities and exercises that you can incorporate into home programmes, including, but not limited to:

Calisthenics – Bodyweight exercises.

Examples of calisthenics:

o Squats – Standing or against the wall.
o Burpees – Variations can be used, from the regular burpee, to doing a push-up at the end of the ‘drop’.
o Pull-Ups – With fingertips on doorframes/beams.
o Push-Ups – On the floor or against the wall; many variations can be done, from beginner through to advance.
o Dips – Using a chair or bench.
o Ab exercises – Crunches, curls, etc.

Plyometrics – Jumping/explosive/power exercises.

Examples of plyometric exercises:

o Squat Jumps
o Box Jumps
o Bench Jumps
o Jumping Lunges
o Bounding
o Throwing

Skipping – A skipping rope is cheap to buy, easy to store, and doesn’t require a huge space to use it in.

Examples of a skipping session:

o Interval training – 10-20 minute session, with 20-120 second efforts, with 10-60 seconds easy or resting, etc.
o Continuous training – 10-20 minutes of continuous skipping, with little or no change in pace.

Shadow Boxing – Bag/boxing gloves and a bag are not even required.

Example of a Shadow Boxing session:

Perform two rounds of the following exercises in order, with 30-60 seconds rest between exercises, and 60 second rest between rounds:
o Straight Punches 2 minutes
o Hooks 2 minutes
o Uppercuts 2 minutes
o Combination Punches 2 minutes

Create Your Training Session

You can include all of the mentioned activities and exercises into various home programme sessions, including, but not limited to:

Cards – Have a pack of cards. Assign an exercise (i.e. calisthenics, plyometrics, cardio, shadow boxing, etc.) to each suit or number (remove the Joker). Place the cards facedown in a stack. Pick a card off the top. Based on what it is, perform for either a set number of reps or period of time that exercise, until complete, and then pick up another card, to complete that exercise. Complete for 10-15 cards, depending on whether you select reps or time per exercise, for sessions lasting anywhere from 10 minutes to 30 minutes.

Example of card deck sessions:

If doing an exercise based on suite:
o Clubs – Jumping Jacks x 1 minute
o Spades – Star-Jumps x 1 minute
o Diamonds – Push-Ups x 1 minute
o Hearts – Burpees x 1 minute

If doing an exercise based on card:
o Ace – Shuttle Run 2 x 10-metres
o Jack – Skipping effort 2 minutes
o Queen – Squat Jumps 1 minute
o King – Crunches x 50
o 10 – Plank x 1 minute
o 9 – Thrusters x 10
o 8 – Walking Lunges x 20 paces out and 20 paces back
o 7 – N-Up x 1 minute
o 6 – Tai Chi Squat x 10
o 5 – Push-Ups x 20
o 4 – Shadowboxing 2 minutes
o 3 – Jumping Lunges x 20
o 2 – Overhead Push Press x 20

Circuits – A high intensity session that includes cardio components (i.e. skipping, sprints, etc.) and resistance work (i.e. calisthenics, etc.).

Example of a Circuit:

o 1-3 circuits/rounds, of 8-12 exercises done with medium to fast tempo, with 30-90 seconds per exercise/station, 30-90 seconds between exercises/stations, and 2-3 minutes between circuits.

Floor Routines – A combination of flexibility and resistance exercises that incorporate bodyweight and/or tube work.

Example of a Floor Routine:

Perform each exercise in order, adding another 5-10 reps per week:
o Push-Ups 3 x 15
o Crunches 3 x 10-15
o Arm/Leg Raises 3 x 10-15
o Elbow Toe Stand 3 x 30 seconds

High intensity interval training (HIIT) – Efforts.

Example of a HIIT session:

o Start with an easy 4 minute warm-up. Then do 8-16 20-second efforts at maximal intensity, with either 10-seconds easy or break between each effort. Finish off with 4 minutes easy to cool down. Can be done running (up and down the street or around the block), skipping, cycling (if you have a bike and a stationary trainer).

High-intensity session – You can incorporate cardio (i.e. skipping) with body-weights exercises, calisthenics, and plyometrics, etc.

Example of a high-intensity session:

Perform two rounds of the following exercises in order, with no rest between rounds:
o Skip 1 minute
o Squat Jumps 1 minute
o Skip 1 minute
o Push-Ups 1 minute
o Skip 1 minute
o Supermans 1 minute
o Skip 1 minute
o Dips 1 minute
o Skip 1 minute
o Plank 1 minute
Such a simple programme, and yet you hit every exercise group, incorporate resistance work with cardiovascular benefits, and all in only 20 minutes.

Conclusion

Improvise. Use what you have in the house to do different exercises. Cans can be used as dumbbells. Chairs and sofas can be used as benches. Steps can be used. Bicycle tubes can act as resistance tubing and cables. Don’t limit your imagination. You can use everything for something. You don’t even have to use anything at all – you can do plenty using only your body and your body-weight for an effective session.

I personally find that the best session to do if I can’t make it to the gym, is a high intensity “cardio” session. Such a session includes a multitude of exercises and modes, from cardio to resistance work, using body-weight, calisthenics, plyometrics, and tubing

~Rosie~

gaijininjapan

Awards
  • Established
Rosie, I saw your other post earlier, but thanks again.

I forgot to mention that I am in my 4th week of PCT after a mdrol cycle. I know I can always do cardio, HIIT, circuit training, etc., but I understand that all this is undesirable while on PCT.

That's why I mentioned pushup variations and pullups. And not just my gym is closed for winter break, ALL gyms here are closed for the new years. In fact, almost all stores are closed as well. Not to mention that the next closest gym requires a 45min bike ride to get to.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rosie, I saw your other post earlier, but thanks again.

I forgot to mention that I am in my 4th week of PCT after a mdrol cycle. I know I can always do cardio, HIIT, circuit training, etc., but I understand that all this is undesirable while on PCT.

That's why I mentioned pushup variations and pullups. And not just my gym is closed for winter break, ALL gyms here are closed for the new years. In fact, almost all stores are closed as well. Not to mention that the next closest gym requires a 45min bike ride to get to.
What is desirable and not desirable during PCT is entirely dependent on the individual and what their body is used to. If you're eating enough, then there is no reason why you cannot do cardio, HIIT, circuit training, etc. during PCT.

~Rosie~

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
rosie ftw - always good advice. Also, ur gym closing for a week isnt an excuse. I know plenty of guys who find another place to workout. No excuses.

gaijininjapan

Awards
  • Established
CrazyChemist - Yes, my other place to work out is at home. Japan closes down for new years. The only places open are retail stores and supermarkets. If by chance a commercial gym is open, they only have universal machines and cost $100 initiation + $100-$150/month membership fees. They're also minimum 45min away as stated above. Being in a country where a U.S. size XS and S are the norm, and workout techniques are 20yrs behind, there's not a lot of options when it comes to working out. Hell, the people here still think a weight belt is for safety... while doing bench presses.

As for PCT, I have always been told by other members that cardio is not good for PCT, and that I should keep my same workout routine. Which is why I am looking at resistance workouts. I always though the reason for this is to make the body use the new muscle mass through resistance and weighed routines. But if all I need to do is eat, then I'm open to HIIT and cardio. I just want to minimize losses as much as possible.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
CrazyChemist - Yes, my other place to work out is at home. Japan closes down for new years. The only places open are retail stores and supermarkets. If by chance a commercial gym is open, they only have universal machines and cost $100 initiation + $100-$150/month membership fees. They're also minimum 45min away as stated above. Being in a country where a U.S. size XS and S are the norm, and workout techniques are 20yrs behind, there's not a lot of options when it comes to working out. Hell, the people here still think a weight belt is for safety... while doing bench presses.

As for PCT, I have always been told by other members that cardio is not good for PCT, and that I should keep my same workout routine. Which is why I am looking at resistance workouts. I always though the reason for this is to make the body use the new muscle mass through resistance and weighed routines. But if all I need to do is eat, then I'm open to HIIT and cardio. I just want to minimize losses as much as possible.
My fault for being ethnocentric - i apologize. In terms of PCT diet/training, if you eat over maintenance you won't be breaking down tissue. Using the muscle is good too but ultimately if you arent in deficit you won't break down muscle or fat.

Newtonselite

Newtonselite

Awards
  • Established
google rosstraining.com theres some good bodyweight training stuff there also to read.

adnscmplx

Awards
One legged squats are solid for your legs and balance. Go find a big rock or something and hold it in front of you at arms length, your shoulders will be doing work as well.

ntornado

Awards
You could do some Isometrics.

My favorite is to hold in the extreme position of a lunge (stretched pretty far) and hold for as long as possible.

gaijininjapan

Awards
  • Established
Thanks. This was really meant to just hold me over for a week. Not to replace my general routine. It's been freezing cold outside, so I decided to do the following tabata style:

wide-stance pushups
wide-grip pullups
bodyweight squats
L-seat
chin-ups w/ legs straight out in front (looks like an "L")

did 20 of each as fast as I could, w/ about 10 sec rest between each exercise.

Going for a short 20min fast-paced run tonight, and will probably do one last session of that above tomorrow.

I'm going on a ski trip Tuesday, and will be back and able to resume going to the gym on Saturday.

Thanks for all the input.

bluehealer

bluehealer

Awards
  • Established

Any other suggestions?
Pushups on chairs are good. Three chairs, two for the hands, one for the feet. You can go into a deep stretch by going lower than the chairs.

gaijininjapan

Awards
  • Established
Pushups on chairs are good. Three chairs, two for the hands, one for the feet. You can go into a deep stretch by going lower than the chairs.
no chairs in my apartment... only one rickety couch. :) Asians sit on the floor. lol

Thanks for the suggestion though, but my chest isn't that big yet, and I can get by with just a short stack of folded clothes under my hands.