The next best routine

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.89%

The next best routine

I have been training with a 5x5 program for a while and am thinking about switching things up and going with higher rep ranges to give my joints and tendons a break from the heavier work. I still want to stick to mainly compound movements but im not sure how many sets and reps to do for them. I would like to focus more on gaining size during this time as well. My strength shot up while i have been doing the 5x5 but my size is not what i would expect it to be with the weights i can handle now.

Any advice on a new routine for me or what set/ rep ranges should i use.

Thanks everyone!

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.16%

HST
    First four weeks should give your joints a nice break.
    P-Mag + P-Stanz Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/174851-p-mag-p.html
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.76%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I second HST. Make sure you don't start your routine with your weights too low though or you won't see the growth a lot of folks get from it.
    •   

4. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  117 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.52%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by BaDgErFaN View Post
    I have been training with a 5x5 program for a while and am thinking about switching things up and going with higher rep ranges to give my joints and tendons a break from the heavier work. I still want to stick to mainly compound movements but im not sure how many sets and reps to do for them. I would like to focus more on gaining size during this time as well. My strength shot up while i have been doing the 5x5 but my size is not what i would expect it to be with the weights i can handle now.

Any advice on a new routine for me or what set/ rep ranges should i use.

Thanks everyone!
    Review the article How To Maximize Mass Through Weights and Adaptation for principles on how you should structure a training programme for mass. The article also contains a sample training programme for an ADVANCED trainee which you might want to check out. Otherwise, as it states, any high intensity, high volume training programme will work for mass gains - so long as you are EATING for gains!

~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.81%

Quote Originally Posted by votum View Post
    I second HST. Make sure you don't start your routine with your weights too low though or you won't see the growth a lot of folks get from it.
    What's HST and where could I learn more about it?
  6. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'5"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.32%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

I've always been a fan of 4x8-12 for higher rep training.
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.89%

Quote Originally Posted by FL3X MAGNUM View Post
    I've always been a fan of 4x8-12 for higher rep training.

This is what I was thinking.

Should I pyramid the weight or do something similar to the 5x5 and pick a weight where I fail towards the end of the last set and then once I hit the prescribed rep/set range move up weight?

Thanks
  8. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'5"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.32%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by BaDgErFaN View Post
    This is what I was thinking.

Should I pyramid the weight or do something similar to the 5x5 and pick a weight where I fail towards the end of the last set and then once I hit the prescribed rep/set range move up weight?

Thanks
    When I come off a strength routine, I start with a high rep routine without having emphasis on a pyramid type of workout. Say if I can bust out 12 reps of standing dumbell curls with 50's, failing at the 12th rep, I would continue with that weight for the next 3 sets. And once I can lift that weight past the 12th rep I would up the weight. Same with every workout I do. I also do a lot more supersetting with this type of routine. I believe the higher reps/less resting time stimulates more GH release and helps shock the muscles into a different kind of growth. If I do a bodypart 3 times in a week, say monday wednesday saturday, then tuesday thursday sunday, (you get the picture) I will make my middle of the week workout the most intense, doing more workouts etc, and then dedicate the last day of the week to going beyond failure, with extended sets, rest pause sets, drop sets or whatever I'm in the mood for.
    After a couple months, I will then do pyramids for about a month to finish off my high rep routine. IMO pyramids are too taxing on my CNS to do for a prolonged period of time.

Every person is different though, but I have been having some pretty solid results from doing this.
    It's a couple years worth of experimenting with different high rep methods.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Help with 5/3/1 routine
    By SweetLou321 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-28-2010, 07:16 AM
  2. Help With My HST Routine
    By koi1214 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-29-2007, 01:07 PM
  3. Muscle Confusion or The ‘Non – Routine’ Routine
    By Quinc in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 3