Not a Novice, but in Definite Need of Guidance!

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  162 lbs.
    Answers

Not a Novice, but in Definite Need of Guidance!

Firstly I'd like to thank all of you guys & gals here at the AM Forums; I've been a lurker here for a few years and this has been a great place for finding good advice and information. Also I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong sub-forum...

Before I start asking for advice, here is my some background info/current situation to help y'all give me an accurate 'assesment'

In Mid-July I was involved in a motorcycle accident that left me with 4 broken ribs and damaged knees. Was never told the exact extent of the damage to my knees since I didn't get them MRId, but I can't do any high impact workouts like running, and if I squat/leg press it has to be low weight. Also, for cardio I'm restricted to elliptical and cycling. The ribs did nothing but keep me out of the gym for 8 weeks, so my endurance, strength, cardiovascular stamina etc... were all at a pretty menial state ~3 months ago.

I'm currently a 4th year engineering student at university, so I'm generally really pressed for time during the semester to hit the gym. The past 2 months I've only been in the gym for an hour or so at a time and only for 3-4 days a week (again, just trying to give you an idea of my recent physical activity and physical conditioning). Here are some numbers for a couple random exercises to help paint a picture:

(Note: I do 3 sets of all workouts, though you will see that sometimes I'll only have 1 or 2 weights listed below. That just means I'll drop weight or increase weight for the 2nd set, and then use that new weight for the 3rd set as well. Of course if only 1 weight is listed, I use it for all 3 sets).

Cardio:- Elliptical with resistance varying between 10-14/20, as low as 8 if I'm doing interval training. Times vary between 30-45 minutes, depending on how I feel. Some days are better than others in terms of how my knees feel, and also in terms of how my stamina is (probably based on if I made sure to eat properly the day before!)

Biceps: 2-Arm Barbell Curl; 50# x 10 reps --> 60# x 8 reps --> 70# x 6 reps, 1-Arm Preacher Curl: 25# x 10 reps

Triceps: Skull Crushers: 45# x 10 reps, Rope/Cable Pulldowns: 40# x 10 reps, 1-Arm Tri Extension: 10# x 10 reps

Shoulders: "Arnold" Dumbbell Press: 30# x 10 reps --> 25# x 10 reps, Military Press: 45# x 10 reps --> 55# x 8 reps --> 65# x reps

Legs: Don't really go for heavy weight here and I don't really have a set workout for legs. On either Chest/Bi or Back/Tri day I'll do a couple sets of calf raises or low weight leg extensions/dead lifts, and on shoulders day I'll do extra resistance during cardio as my leg workout. This is the most lacking part of my workout currently, and it needs to be fixed! There are plenty of people with bad knees so I refuse to look at that as a crutch any longer!

Chest: Bench Press: 135# x 10 reps or 155# x 6 reps. Generally though, since I didn't have a spot, I'd do 95# x 10 reps, bringing the weight down VEEEERRRY slowly. (I do have a spotter now that my roommate is going to the gym too, though). Incline Dumbbell Press: 55# x 10 reps --> 45# x 10 reps. Butterfly Press: 25# x 10 reps --> 35# x 8 reps

Abs: I try and do abs 5x a week, varying the workout between leg raises, crunches, roman chair, medicine ball, etc etc. Generally I'll try and break my sets into reps of 50 for the first two, 30 for the second two, and 15 for the last two, putting me ~200 reps / workout.

Diet: My current diet is complete ****. Well okay, maybe not ****, but it could be way better. Currently starting finals week, which means though I'll be living inside the library I won't have any assignment deadlines, so I will no longer be missing any meals or adding in late night fast food! (Please, hold the applause). Starting this Friday I'll be doing nothing but working part time and hopefully working out like crazy, so being able to cook healthy meals 4 to 5 times a day will be no problem.

I've probably lost most of you by now:

But for those of you still reading... now to the real reason for my post: I really have no idea what kind of exercise, diet, and supplements to take for my upcoming 6 week workout-athon. I have my goals in mind, so I'm hoping that by sharing those, you will be able to fill in the rest!

Goals:

Current Statistics: 22 years old, 5'10", 165 lbs., hairy physique, enjoys long walks on the beach as well as cliches.

I'll post pictures up when my roommate wakes up.

Objectives: I do not wish to gain large amounts of mass. I'm still involved in motorcycle racing and muscle strength and stamina take priority over size. I realize that strength and size do to a certain extent come hand in hand, and I still have a little space left in my leather suit to grow... but I'm not in any way looking for a high caloric, high weight sort of program here.

Where AM Comes In: I'd like to lean the hell out, dropping my bf by a large %, and increasing my overall strength and endurance. I'm looking for a high volume cardio and weight training program, and what supplements I should take to compliment the program. I'd like to think that I have the discipline to follow a calorie specific program as well, planning out each meal ahead of time and not eating outside of the allowed meals. I will more than likely have the time to space workouts out throughout the day, doing cardio and weight training at different times if needed. There are so many diff. methods and programs out there I'm not sure where to get started.

Note on Supplements: I've been doing research, and it seems the more I do, the less certain I become on what product I want to use, simply due to the sheer volume of brands out there! I look at the intended effects as well as how it makes you feel after taking it, but many of them are just saying the same things but with different words. I'm okay with taking something OTC like Hot-Rox, and I'm okay with doing something more in the gray zone: Clen, ECA, etc. The most important thing is that I don't know where to get a quality product when using a non OTC supplement.

Well there you have it, I apologize for leaving you with a wall of text and no cash prize for getting to the bottom, but maybe my gratitude will be enough!

All Questions, Comments, Advice, or Verbal Harassment Welcomed!

-Keyan

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  200 lbs.
    Answers

that was rough to read your diet needs to be fixed if your holding a lot of fat at your weight. research Paleo diet. the only supplements you really need are BCAA's, AAKG, and protein powders CFM Whey and Micellar Casein. if your not wanting to gain a lot of muscle you can get away with just real food. all your goals are effected by your diet.

Similar Forum Threads

1. novice needs some adivce
    By medicone in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-18-2009, 12:41 PM
  2. novice - need some answers
    By AnthonyEhsani in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-16-2008, 06:14 PM
  3. I need a definite answer about pSarm/formadrol
    By srocco112 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6